D&D 5E WotC to increase releases per year?

Zardnaar

Legend
I always felt like the slow release rate of new books was the best thing ever for D&D...because what they released fell straight in my taste palette!
But for sometimes, I felt like their offer were less to my tastes, meaning that I kinda wish they released more stuff, in the hope that I'll get something I would like to buy.

Strange how that works, eh?!

Tasha's was the first 5e book ever that I regretted purchasing, so I'm kinda on the fence about what's to come.

Tasha's a bit of a mess and a lot of Powercreep.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I actually think we are due for a remaster release of the Core. NOT 5.5, just cleaned up, eratta'd and tweaked rules and options.
The errata is in every newly printed version already.

And I'd loathe a rerelease of core that's supposed to be the exact same game but tweaked. Because if they tweak or rewrite anything then you suddenly have the opportunity for two different texts of supposedly the same edition to be able to be interpreted differently. Nothing has the ability to mess up the game like unintentionally differing but both official versions of core rules.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Ehh...I'd argue Tasha's raised the floor of power level for a lot of concepts, but it didn't raise the ceiling. Nothing is the new PAM/GWM paladin, or crossbow fighter, or sorlock. Some classes getting a new best subclass is no big thing.

The thing I dont like with Tasha's is that the classes get super wordy features which, in the end, give what? Advantage on X? Bonus Action X damage? X spell Y times per day ?

There's not much innovation in them (I actually like the Proficiency/Long rest. That's new and cool). I'll be happy when WotC gives us features that interact with new systems (social or exploration), ways to spend HD to gain X, that interact with the Exhaustion rules, etc

Anyway, that's my opinion. I wish I liked it more....

I've been a bit disappointed with their rate of releases. There's plenty of books coming out, but with the different types of content, it sometimes meant having only one book with player options coming once once in a while because the other books were adventures, etc.

The best example is what I felt was a loooong drought between Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes in May 2018 and Tasha's Cauldron in November 2020. That's a whole two years with no rulebooks with player options and material.

In between these two books, there was plenty of other type of books released: five campaign settings books (if you count Acquisitions Incorporated) and five adventures! That's ten books! But I had little interest in these books. I didn't want Eberron, Ravnica or Wildemount specific options or adventures. What I wanted was more monsters, character options and such that I could use in my or most settings.
I feel exactly the same way. I only bought one book during that time period.

darjr

I crit!
So some of it is Box Sets!!! Of what?

I KNoW they have an in house GammaWorld and Starfrontiers built in the 5e ruleset. I wonder if this is possible, like the D&D 4e set was compatible with D&D 4e. That would be Wandaful!

delericho

Legend
I don't want a new monster manual. I want a rewrite of the old one to account for the years of experience they have with the system.

Agreed. One of the problems in pretty much every edition after the first is that the first MM is expected to include all the iconic monsters, and yet monster design tends to improve over time. This means that, a few years in, the iconic monsters are almost inevitably the least interesting (mechanically) in the game.

When 4e did the "Monster Vault", cleaning up and reissuing all those existing monsters, it made for a very significant improvement, and 5e would benefit from much the same thing, IMO.

Remove ads