• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC to Revise D&D 4th Edition GSL and SRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Either way, taking a poll from ENWorld and applying it to D&D Fanbase as a whole is worthless.

And can also lead to interesting "results".

Say that 50% of the D&D gamers have switched/tried 4e. With an estimated player base of 4 million (from another reputable source, Wikipedia :cool:), that means that 2 million people are now playing D&D4e.

Let's say that my anecdotal evidence of 75% of players owning the PH stands true, which would mean that WotC has sold 1 500 000 Player's Handbooks. :D

Quite a lot of books, IMO. :D

/M

cangrejoide

First Post
So the half on this poll here http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=235481 who are not switching are non-representative?.
907 people out of a community of 70,000. Yeah 1.2% is very representative.

How about the 150+ people I talked to a week and a half ago at the convention in Spokane where I was a guest, half of whom didn't have very positive things to say about 4E? Or how about the local game store where I'm seeing the same trend? I suppose that you'd count that as anecdotal, or better yet, question my integrity since I've made up my mind about which game I'm playing. .

150+ at a convention or fistfull of people at your LGS out of millions of players is hardly representative of a trend.

If you really want to see where the market is going , you should see the sales revenues.

The difference is that the choice was taken away from WotC by Ryan Dancey and Peter Adkison eight years ago. It was the greatest gift they gave to the gaming community because it ensures that there will always be a version of D&D in print, regardless of what Hasbro ends up doing with the official brand. I'm flabbergasted that anyone who is passionate about the game would see this as a bad thing.

Good for you, you should also try OSRIC or LL or any other of the D&D versions outhere.

If 4E is not for you then there are a wide array of options. go play.

cangrejoide

First Post
it's possible that Pathfinder is doing as well as they say it is, and that they're picking up a lot of business from the disaffected 3.5 players. In other words, why would they want to change?

And this is their target market right now "disaffected 3.5 players", maybe 2 or 3 years from now when the anti-4e furor dies we may see some Paizo 4E stuff.

cangrejoide

First Post
I feel the need to say this: the flaw in the poll system was known before I pointed it out, and was in all probability used e.g. in the "What should the Warlord be named?" poll. Prior art, so to say.

I felt that the right thing to do was pointing out this flaw in the poll system for people who were drawing far reaching conclusions based on the results.

I'm not the only one on these boards who knew about the flaw, and the voting pattern of lots of posts in short time for one side or the other side, ie "surges", was in my mind indications that such rigging could be taking place.

Sure, for all I know, every single one of those votes are legit. But I honestly don't think so, and there were 800+ votes before I "buggered" the poll, so if you trust that there were no problems before my "buggering", then just discount about 50 votes or so.

Whatever "buggered" is supposed to mean, btw.

/M

lol so the poll that every anti-4e poster has quoted been rigged?

If not, what do you mean by buggered?

alanpossible

First Post
I remember reading a blog post by (I think) Monte Cook. In it, he was lamenting the fact that so few people had taken the opportunity provided by the OGL to publish (for a dollar or two) the material they create for their own home games.

Those adventures and dungeons, monsters, quests and NPCs that take us so long to create could all be sold for a couple of bucks.

Personally, I'm hoping that the GSL will (in the future perhaps) be able to encourage such things. I realise it involves wading through a pool of bad 3PP stuff to get to the good bits, but the good publishers rapidly become known and I've often been inspired even by the bad products (usually by fixing them up ;D)

Anyhow, I won't start holding my breath. At the moment, the whole thing radiates a feeling of losing all my money if WotC decide they don't like me. And while I'd like to hope it'll become more small-person friendly, I'm not sure wizards are out to encourage that.

I *will* however be looking forward to the fan site policy :)

Raven Crowking

First Post
Then I wonder why you purchased 4e, from WotC, considering the behavior on their boards (i.e. "people associated with" WotC, using your words).

A rather interesting position of yours.

Duplicates my thought, and I am not particularly a "fan" of Pathfinder (recently being far more interested in Basic Fantasy and 3.5 as-is). When folks were (understandably) upset about shennanigans with WotC (including claiming that rumours the 4e announcement was close were false, cancellation of Dungeon & Dragon, broken promises about tiered licensing, broken promises about the DDI (when, and what it could do), and problems with the GSL, a lot of folks said, in effect "I'll buy or not buy 4e based on the game, not based on how I feel about WotC."

Now, I would agree with choosing to spend your dollars based on what you want to encourage the company to do, or what you want to encourage the company to produce, but a little consistency would be nice. ;)

(Of course, I am also inconsistent here, because I recognize that what WotC does is more important to the market/industry/hobby as a whole than what most/any/all 3pps do. What WotC does impacts me; what a 3pp does, except in the case of what they produce, or in the case where they champion something of use to the market/industry/hobby....like Clark with the GSL and the APG....really doesn't affect me much.)

(Never hurts for a 3pp to be professional, though. :))

RC

Delta

First Post
The "added math" is to account for the larger sampling having a smaller margin of error... in other words, more accurate. While obviously hyperbole, a smaller margin of error is not "completely irrelevant to the accuracy...".

I'll say it again -- IF the sampled fraction is small, THEN the simplied math applies in which population size is "completely irrelevant to the accuracy" of the poll. And that's the case we're actually in, the case misunderstood by the prior poster, the case of any standard poll.

Whether the population of ENWorld is 25,000 or 75,000 or 1 million or infinite, the math is exactly the same in any of those cases. Any larger population number disappears from the calculation formula.

Which is why I was the one who brought up the above-5% correction factor in the first place. You want a small sample fraction, such as we have, to use the standard math, in which population size is irrelevant.

rkwoodard

First Post
Yep

I'll say it again -- IF the sampled fraction is small, THEN the simplied math applies in which population size is "completely irrelevant to the accuracy" of the poll. And that's the case we're actually in, the case misunderstood by the prior poster, the case of any standard poll.

Whether the population of ENWorld is 25,000 or 75,000 or 1 million or infinite, the math is exactly the same in any of those cases. Any larger population number disappears from the calculation formula.

Which is why I was the one who brought up the above-5% correction factor in the first place. You want a small sample fraction, such as we have, to use the standard math, in which population size is irrelevant.

yep, my master's thesis (industrial/organizational Psych) used maybe a thousand people filling out questionaires and was used to extrapolate correlations to "university students" all of them, everywhere (ok maybe just US college students but still not even 1% of a %.

rk

Arnwyn

First Post
alanpossible said:
I remember reading a blog post by (I think) Monte Cook. In it, he was lamenting the fact that so few people had taken the opportunity provided by the OGL to publish (for a dollar or two) the material they create for their own home games.

Those adventures and dungeons, monsters, quests and NPCs that take us so long to create could all be sold for a couple of bucks.
Hopefully the person who posted such a thing wasn't surprised by that! Once legal text becomes involved, then of course the vast majority of the populace won't bother becoming involved. That much is obvious. And then, adding the time, effort, and costs to "sell for a couple of bucks" (where? how? etc.) on top of that and very few people will even consider such a thing.

The GSL certainly won't change anything (and unless it's worded to make it even easier to use than the OGL, there may even be fewer who bother).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads