• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC: 'We made a mistake when we said an image not AI'

It seems like AI art is going to be a recurring news theme this year. While this is Magic: the Gathering news rather than D&D or TTRPG news, WotC and AI art has been a hot topic a few times recently. When MtG community members observed that a promotional image looked like it was made with AI, WotC denied that was the case, saying in a now-deleted tweet "We understand confusion by fans given...

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 18.38.32.png

It seems like AI art is going to be a recurring news theme this year. While this is Magic: the Gathering news rather than D&D or TTRPG news, WotC and AI art has been a hot topic a few times recently.

When MtG community members observed that a promotional image looked like it was made with AI, WotC denied that was the case, saying in a now-deleted tweet "We understand confusion by fans given the style being different than card art, but we stand by our previous statement. This art was created by humans and not AI."

However, they have just reversed their position and admitted that the art was, indeed, made with the help of AI tools.

Well, we made a mistake earlier when we said that a marketing image we posted was not created using AI. Read on for more.

As you, our diligent community pointed out, it looks like some AI components that are now popping up in industry standard tools like Photoshop crept into our marketing creative, even if a human did the work to create the overall image.

While the art came from a vendor, it’s on us to make sure that we are living up to our promise to support the amazing human ingenuity that makes Magic great.

We already made clear that we require artists, writers, and creatives contributing to the Magic TCG to refrain from using AI generative tools to create final Magic products.

Now we’re evaluating how we work with vendors on creative beyond our products – like these marketing images – to make sure that we are living up to those values.

This comes shortly after a different controversy when a YouTube accused them (falsely in this case) of using AI on a D&D promotional image, after which WotC reiterated that "We require artists, writers, and creatives contributing to the D&D TTRPG to refrain from using AI generative tools to create final D&D products."

The AI art tool Midjourney is being sued in California right now by three Magic: The Gathering artists who determined that theirs and nearly 6,000 other artists' work had been scraped without permission. That case is ongoing.

Various tools and online platforms are now incorporating AI into their processes. AI options are appearing on stock art sites like Shutterstock, and creative design platforms like Canva are now offering AI. Moreover, tools within applications like Photoshop are starting to draw on AI, with the software intelligently filling spaces where objects are removed and so on. As time goes on, AI is going to creep into more and more of the creative processes used by artists, writers, and video-makers.

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 19.02.49.png

Yeah, I assumed those were either not AI, or had been done over a year ago.

We both know AI has surpassed that already with the assumptions/risks I noted.
I've posted what I've gotten with that prompt in the "give me a prompt" thread and I do plan to commission the 3rd main character from my book and have her draw him. If i were to ever get to the point of publishing I'd have her redo Abby (blondie) and see if she wants to redo Candace. But since it was mainly meant to try to help me get over writer's block it works.

I personally only use Nightcafe and others like it and what I have on my local machine to do stuff quickly or to have fun. If i want something serious then I'm more than willing to pay someone to do it.

EDIT: I jsut wanted a guy standing in an empty hallway
xsgsCKMmabhCODt98XNO--1--b9uhm.jpg

Mercador

Adventurer
You know, I try to operate under a philosophy of "never chalk up to conspiracy what you can attribute to incompetence," but boy do these guys make it hard.
Hanlon's razor or something similar.

Currently, you can spot "easily" some generated AI art but it will get better and at some point, it won't be possible to distinguish AI art from Human art. Moreover, the AI will use the generated content to learn itself to be better. It won't be possible to know from which source it comes from.

I had as retirement hobby plan to create content for TTRPGs, I don't think it will be a good idea in 5-10 years. Fortunately, for me, it's a just an hobby but I really fear for those who live from their art.

Vincent55

Adventurer
Well, in this case we have a company that doesn't want to use it who hires people not to use AI who decide to wave tike by using AI.
Cool, that will just mean your overhead and the cost of everything will always be more, automation revolutionized the industry, same with robotics and computers. I am just saying graphic design and other jobs will be first and will slowly overtake even more complex and detailed artistic positions in the world. But there will be holdouts and those who prefer to do it the old way, just like there are still bookbinders and those who make their paper.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Cool, that will just mean your overhead and the cost of everything will always be more, automation revolutionized the industry, same with robotics and computers. I am just saying graphic design and other jobs will be first and will slowly overtake even more complex and detailed artistic positions in the world. But there will be holdouts and those who prefer to do it the old way, just like there are still bookbinders and those who make their paper.
Sure, better to charge a premium price, same as nice color hardcover printing. With the added benefit of no copyright issues when thus goes sideways.

Scribe

Legend
View attachment 342920
Canute is over there waving at us…

In the story, Canute demonstrates to his flattering courtiers that he has no control over the elements (the incoming tide), explaining that secular power is vain compared to the supreme power of God. The episode is frequently alluded to in contexts where the futility of "trying to stop the tide" of an inexorable event is pointed out, but usually misrepresenting Canute as believing he had supernatural powers, when Huntingdon's story in fact relates the opposite.

Missed opportunity to not tweak it with an AI image imo.

Tide.jpg

Anyway, apparently OpenAI said it would be 'impossible' to train if not able to use copyrighted materials.

I'm sure the billionaires wept.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads