• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOTC, when do we see a commercial for D&D on TV???

Dremmen

First Post
When will the taboo end?? On any given week you see commercials for the Kids Bop CD, for Get Rich Quick with Wireless Internet, for magical cleaning solutions that make clothes oh so white and all for $19.95, but somehow D&D, which in my opinion carries the age and following to be called a tradition as much as a hobby, is not to be seen on any time slot on any channel. If its as huge as it is being spread by mainly word of mouth, where would it go if WOTC put out a couple of commercials?? They got the funds - I remember with a smile the commercial for M:TG with the beasty beating the stuffing out of the lawyer ( or was it an accountant ). Where is my 30 seconds of an orc bashing a halfling with glee, then turning and sticking his thumbs up and the words "D&D: Its smashing good fun". C'mon! Its a business, its a game, it should have every right to advertise. No wonder the video game industry is catching up - they have full commercials on G4 all the time, even on some main stream channels. Its about time we shrugged off this stigma that there is something wrong with D&D and that we shouldn't be as open talking about it as talking about our HALO game or how great the Carolina Panthers are or what a good episode of Hell's Kitchen that was or any other entertainment related topic. And following the same line of logic, there should be no reason we can't proudly wear our D&D t-shirts (the thread that got me started on this rant), or that WOTC can't make ads for it on TV. I want my Umber Hulk sitting on a Beholder, having a good ol' time, during prime time on the screen between Friends and Everybody Loves Raymond at 7:30pm dang it!

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I think WOTC (and I'd tend to agree) believes most people will not get interested in gaming just by seeing a commercial (which they'd probably do a really lame job with) and going out and buying some books. Most people get taught how to game by other gamers.

What WOTC should do instead of launching an ad campaign is hire people to go out and teach people how to play D&D. They could go to hobby shops and to malls and such.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Aust Diamondew said:
I think WOTC (and I'd tend to agree) believes most people will not get interested in gaming just by seeing a commercial (which they'd probably do a really lame job with) and going out and buying some books. Most people get taught how to game by other gamers.

What WOTC should do instead of launching an ad campaign is hire people to go out and teach people how to play D&D. They could go to hobby shops and to malls and such.

HeroScape is Hasbro's idea of a gateway drug into D&D, and I've seen ads for it on TV.

Dremmen

First Post
devilbat said:

What a find!! Never seen that on TV - then again, I wasn't stateside until late 80s. Hell, if they run that right there I'd be happy.

And I'd have to disagree with you Aust. More and more people's interests are largey determined by what's on TV. Sending folks out to peddle D&D seems ackward. D&D is a product like any other and as long as Risk and Monopoly and other games are getting advertised on TV, I don't see why D&D would be any different.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I doubt it will happen. It's just not worth the money.

Now a commercial for a D&D-branded computer game is likely (and has happened for all I know). There's enough money to be made in computer/console games to make it worth it.

I doubt we'll ever seen a D&D commercial on tv. But - if WotC did want to run some tv adds - I think that Spike TV, SciFi, Discovery, and the History Chan. would make great places for them.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Maybe they should have a fan denoated commerica. i.e. if fans are willing to pay for it, WoTC will creat the commercia. You know, like how all the Star Trek people put their money together.

Remove ads