WotC WotC will do what you say for 5 years. What are your instructions?

OB1

Jedi Master
This is too much fun. Here we go.

Spring - Intro to Spelljamming via a Gith themed adventure
Summer - Sigil based AP Tier II through Tier III
Fall - Guide to the Outer Planes (with Psionic Class)

Spring - TotYP style Adventures set in 4 different classic campaign settings each with an abbreviated setting guide
Summer - Dark Sun AP Tier II through Tier III (builds off Spring release)
Fall - Guide to Dark Sun

Spring - Genie Based AP and tour of the Elemental Planes Tier II to Tier III
Summer - Feywild AP
Fall - Guide to the Inner Planes

Spring - Part 1 of 2 AP Tier I through Tier II (Starts in Material Plane goes to Shadowfell)
Summer - Part 2 of 2 Book AP Tier III through Tier IV (Goes full multiverse at Risk)
Fall - Complete Players Handbook (all published races, classes, subclasses, spells in one book); Complete DM's Handbook (all published magic items, all non MM published monsters)

Spring - Journey to the Far Realm AP Tier III through Tier IV
Summer - Journey to the Modern World AP Tier I through Tier II
Fall - Guide to the Far Realm and Modern Worlds

ajanders

Explorer
I'm going to break the rules straight off.

Step 1: Diversify, but don't cannibalize D&D. The best way to do this is a rerelease of the old FASERIP Marvel Superheroes System. Go digital if you're feeling risk-averse but it would work in print as well. This isn't even game design just IP negotiation.
Step 2 : More diversification! Let's build a 5.0 style version of d20 modern. Keep it mechanically compatible with D&D 5.0. You can now do urban fantasy like the Dresden files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and modern espionage and military like GI Joe or Top Secret.
Step 3: Support the newer settings. I'd like to see an adventure path for Eberron. It probably doesn't support 20 levels of play...maybe 10 levels of fun? Similarly, how about an anthology of horror adventures for Ravenloft? These two are probably digital only.

Step 4: integration. Wotc has many years of lore from Magic: at a bare minimum, let's do a monster manual based on the top monsters from Magic.

weldon

Explorer
I love the old stuff that came out when I was getting started as a kid, but I think going backwards to resurrect Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, etc. is a distraction. So to settle the issue, I would announce free 100 page PDF settings overviews / recaps with conversion guides to go with all the PDFs of old adventures on DMs Guild. All the old settings are available to use on DMs Guild so the community can release new content. The Adept program is expanded to included some leadership for each of these old settings so that a community can form around them to promote the best stuff on DMs Guild. I make a clear announcement that there are no plans to release any official content for old settings in the future. Rip that bandaid off and move on.

Now on to new things…

I'd announce a new contest, but with a twist on what happened with Eberron. Instead of a full setting, submit a party with your best, most interesting, engaging and entertaining 5 characters of brand new 0th/1st level adventurers maybe with a brand-new class/sub-class to introduce some new mechanics at the same time. Backstories, personality, etc. Huge blown out contest with celebrity judges to pick the best ensemble. Winner gets a check, a contract to consult with the WoTC team for a year, and signs over all the rights. Not a story, just story hooks. No full-blown setting, just a starting location with one big hook that points towards where the party, and the world, is headed.

The in-house team goes to work on building a setting/world starting from this initial location, and a new story around the big hook. There is a slow reveal over a couple years that engages the community through new books, adventures, and con events. The setting becomes the foundation for movies.

This is also the moment to finally break away from racial mechanics entirely and let culture just be part of the story. Mechanics can come from individual choices about background and training.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’d never use a version of dnd with no racial mechanics at all. A firbolg Rogue and a goblin rogue are more different than two halfling rogues. That should be represented, or the races shouldn’t conceptually be as different as they are.

On a different note, I’d also push for an art book or art books for the major dnd settings.

And a dnd cartoon set in Eberron. Try to get Noelle Stevenson, Keith Baker, and Pendleton Ward involved. Try to hire Neil Gaiman for a season focused on Thelanis and other planes and their manifest zones.

Remove ads