WotC WotC will do what you say for 5 years. What are your instructions?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
What data set? I’d love to see the methodology and data for that
You know as well as I do that corporations rarely release that kind of information. Why, do you really suspect an major error or dishonesty?

Their playtest survey results (which had enormous turnout), combined with past edition sales figures, and current feedback via social media and every other tool at their disposal, shows them that homebrew was bigger than all the published settings combined, IIRC.

That’s way past the margin of error. And we can reasonably conclude their methodology can’t be too wack, or they wouldn’t be running the market as well as they’d have been based on that data.

Horwath

Legend
1. Make a decent spell system that works on mana points not spell level slots.

2. get rid of d20 and go with 3d6.

3. Reduce 6 abilities to 4 abilities.

4. Add online access to all materials. Every book would have a unique "book-key" that could be added to your sub and then you would get those materials available for your online account.

5. Work on designs for 3D printers that would be free or some dirt cheap price per design of minis.

6. Make few scionic classes part of the core PHB.

7. Split ASIs, combat feats, noncombat feats into separate resource pool.

TheSword

Legend
Each year I would make them release a campaign/source book where they give us some world building but frame it in useful practical adventure locations, NPCs and plots. My initial instructions would be...

• Forgotten Realms
  • Ravenloft
  • Underdark
  • Something city based maybe linking in a mega dungeon
  • A jungle/lost world theme
  • Eberron

Oh wait a minute 🙈

TheSword

Legend
In all seriousness, I would say more of the same. I’d ask them to produce.

• Darksun + offshoot psionics rules
  • Planescape + expand great wheel cosmology
  • Birthright + kingdom campaign guide

@Lanefan ah yes. You bring up a good point.

I'd have them sell mtg and their false elder dragons.

Actually no. Obviously not. I'll be honest. Really not sure what I'd do with mtg. Its at least obvious to me that in 5 to 10 years that might very likely be a nearly 100% digital game though. I personally enjoy playing it (the physical cards versions. Legacy through modern) but i dont have a good idea of what it needs. You want the job lol?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
@Son of the Serpent ; @Jer : - don't forget that WotC is about much more than just D&D. You're in charge of the whole thing, so what do you do with M:tG and the company's other assorted properties and games?

I mean, I already said I wanted them to put all of their old boardgames into perpetual print on demand, so there's that. (All that SPI and Avalon Hill and whatnot - put it all back into print).

As far as MtG specifically goes my attitude towards it is pretty much the same as for 5e D&D - I don't really care so keep doing what they're doing with it. Make as much money off of it as they can to fund the rest of my nonsense demands.

Oh - and that made me realize I forgot one I wanted to specifically call out:

* Compile all of the Spellfire cards and stick them up on DriveThru for print on demand. You can put Blood Wars up there too while you're at it, but Spellfire is the one I want to see. I didn't appreciate it when it was originally out but that little nonsense game is actually pretty fun, and I think it would be worthwhile having it available again.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You know as well as I do that corporations rarely release that kind of information. Why, do you really suspect an major error or dishonesty?

Their playtest survey results (which had enormous turnout), combined with past edition sales figures, and current feedback via social media and every other tool at their disposal, shows them that homebrew was bigger than all the published settings combined, IIRC.

That’s way past the margin of error. And we can reasonably conclude their methodology can’t be too wack, or they wouldn’t be running the market as well as they’d have been based on that data.

25% strictly Homebrew with just the core books, 25% Homebrew with borrowing from other books, 25% Forgotten Realms, and 25% for everything else combined.

The Forgotten Realms is not just the most played Setting, but they determined that it is the most helpful for Homebrewers who want to take some material and rework it. Hence the release strategy of microsettifns with adventure material.

Sacrosanct

Legend

I'm asking you where did you get that information from. When did WoTC release that information that said most players use homebrew campaign worlds instead of official ones like FR?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm asking you where did you get that information from. When did WoTC release that information that said most players use homebrew campaign worlds instead of official ones like FR?

Chris Perkins talked about this in a panel a few years ago, I got the numbers wrong:

"A great bulk of D&D players (55%) play homebrew, but about 50% of those homebrewers pillage from other settings for their own world. About 35% play in the Forgotten Realms, and then everything else takes up 10%. Very few people are running Dark Sun, Hollow World or Mystara campaigns. Greyhawk may be 5%."

I doubt that this has changed overly much, given the popularity of homebrewers like Matt Coleville or Matt Mercer out there.

Vael

Legend
For DnD: I think I just want to speed up production, which means hire more staff. Whatever they've got planned for Psionics, I want it sooner rather than later. UA's for testing non-core races, like Thri-kreen, for example.

MTG: Bring the prices of Magic down. In the words of Adam Savidan, "Eff It, Reprint Everything". I have mixed opinions on the Reserved List, but in general, I want this hobby to be more affordable.

Remove ads