D&D 5E WotC will not allow translation of D&D NEXT.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
The Japanese Business Culture of Shaming.
I'm not 100% on what you're getting at. But unless there's something unusual about HJ's customer/business relationship that I'm just not grasping, I'm pretty sure it's HJ who is losing face by informing their customers they won't be able to purchase the product they want. (You can see this same standard in effect every day when shopkeepers lie and tell you that the product you want will be in soon, so as to avoid doing exactly what HJ is doing.)

evileeyore

Mrrrph
I'm not 100% on what you're getting at. But unless there's something unusual about HJ's customer/business relationship that I'm just not grasping, I'm pretty sure it's HJ who is losing face by informing their customers they won't be able to purchase the product they want. (You can see this same standard in effect every day when shopkeepers lie and tell you that the product you want will be in soon, so as to avoid doing exactly what HJ is doing.)
I will readily admit I don't understand Japanese culture very well. The concept of corporate shaming tactics is something I encountered a few years in in some books about global business practice, so HJ's motivations are likely outside my ability to conceptualize (I'm neither Japanese nor a major business).

But the idea of trying to shame WotC into rescinding their decision to revoke HJ's license was the only thing that made sense to me.

Last edited:

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I will readily admit I don't understand Japanese culture very well. The concept of corporate shaming tactics is something I encountered a few years in in some books about global business practice, so HJ's motivations are likely outside my ability to conceptualize (I'm neither Japanese nor a major business).
Honor and shame are IME huge parts of Japanese society. But it's often difficult, especially for westerners, to predict when and where they will accrue. Because these things are subject to local tradition, and because the western twin concepts of shame and honor are a little different than the eastern ones, and because honor/shame is hardly the only difference between our cultures and the other differences may interact in unpredictable ways, and because westerners are usually not subject to this system so it's hard to learn by doing, and because of probably a billion other reasons that I'm still too dense to grasp despite having spent a good chunk of my life out here.

But I put a big stock in people behaving the way they have in the past, and I've seen quite a few examples now where Japanese companies are shamed by not being able to deliver products they had promised to customers. So until I see otherwise, I have to believe that's how it plays out here.

But the idea of trying to shame WotC into rescinding their decision to revoke HJ's license was the only thing that made sense to me.
I think it's obvious that HJ was simply reporting the contents of their communication with WotC. Despite what some people are saying, there's actually nothing in HJ's press release that contradicts anything that any wotc employees have said thus far. (It's perfectly possible for WotC to simultaneously have a policy against licensing translations, while at the same time employing managers for whom translations are very much on their mind.)

Why might WotC have told HJ this, and not informed them that they weren't abandoning the market? I can imagine a few possibilities...
--Straight up crappy communication with non-core business partners (wotc's D&D department is a bit of a repeat offender in this respect)
--Genuine doubt within wotc as to future participation in the TTRPG market
--An understaffed overworked D&D department simply not being able to handle their workload during the big launch, and handing communication off to some junior legal assistant who doesn't know or care about mearls' plans

What's not reasonable in my view is to impugn HJ's motives or core competence, or to (as some were doing above) impugn the functional literacy of our bilingual message board members.

Mirtek

Hero
A related question: How much are other gaming products translated? I gather that Magic and Pokemon were widely translated. How much were the different D&d editions? What about Pathfinder? Or, popular board games? Or games as a whole?
All D&D edtions used to be translated since 82. Pathfinder is going strong in Germany with over 120 translated products and more coming. It has taken over D&D's place almost completely (DSA being too entrenched in Germany for D&D or Pathfinder or any other RPG having any chance at being Nr. 1)
BTW doesn't The Dark Eye RPG sell better than any edition of DnD ?
In Germany it sells better than any other RPG.
or miniature games (Dungeon Command) has been translated.
Aren't the dungeon command boxes multilanguaged? IIRC the text on the outside is at least repeated in englisch, spanish, french and german

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Good to know Pathfinder is doing well over there and has decent translations.

I wish we could get more English translations of Aventuria over here, I really like the setting from what I've read about it in one of the few English translated DSA books. As well as from playing the Drakhensang, Realms of Arkania and Daedalic Entertainment games.

I don't like DSA much, the setting is cool but the rules I dislike. There is a 5th edition coming and they have again chaged world info around so I heard.

I could ask the publishers about it though, maybe if they see interest they might go for online products at least.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Our local translator got in contact with WotC representive Veronica Fridrich (I might butchered her nam, I'm translating back to English) according to her WotC decided not to offer translation licenses to local companies and that the decision is a strategic decision by WotC and won't be changed by the OGL announcement at the start of 2015 and that it's unlikely that they will reconsider this decision in the future.

Warder

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Our local translator got in contact with WotC representive Veronica Fridrich (I might butchered her nam, I'm translating back to English) according to her WotC decided not to offer translation licenses to local companies and that the decision is a strategic decision by WotC and won't be changed by the OGL announcement at the start of 2015 and that it's unlikely that they will reconsider this decision in the future.

Warder

OGL announcement?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Curious.

As a strategic decision, I wonder if WotC/Hasbro will either setup a translation center of their own, or, shift the work to a business unit outside of the US, or both. Potentially a lot of tax implications.

Still seems odd to not have this worked out. Perhaps the current release is viewed as a test balloon: See if the new version has any legs before putting any additional resources behind it. Or, see if the tie to the old OGL style license is truly put to rest.

Thx!

TomB

Remove ads