WotC -- Worst Excerpt EVAR!

Obscure

First Post
What's with the crappy excerpt posted on the WotC site for Weapons of Legacy? Seeing the link, I was looking forward to more info on this potentially interesting supplement. Instead, we get a stat block for a mind flayer with a couple of extra spell-like abilities, which tells us almost nothing about the book. It sort of reminds me of movie studios that don't release a movie to critics ahead of the street date when they know the film is bad -- so the critics can't write any bad reviews before the movie is released to the public. I hope this isn't the case with Weapons of Legacy....

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Obscure said:
What's with the crappy excerpt posted on the WotC site for Weapons of Legacy? Seeing the link, I was looking forward to more info on this potentially interesting supplement. Instead, we get a stat block for a mind flayer with a couple of extra spell-like abilities, which tells us almost nothing about the book. It sort of reminds me of movie studios that don't release a movie to critics ahead of the street date when they know the film is bad -- so the critics can't write any bad reviews before the movie is released to the public. I hope this isn't the case with Weapons of Legacy....

There is a link?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While I'm not willing to write off the book yet, that was a baffling excerpt. OK, so the book is called "Weapons of Legacy," so here's a templated mind flayer, only without the template or how it got its relatively minor changes. I'm supposed to be excited why?

Isn't it obvious that we need another example or two of actual WEAPONS and their progressions? Why start with a templated creature? Lordy, that's not new or particularly interesting, guys.

The Shaman

First Post
Actually that's pretty cool. I mean, all I have to do is add "...of Legacy" to everything and it becomes better!

Behold my Post of Legacy!

-- The Shaman...of Legacy

IronWolf

blank
Yes, I was quite confused when I saw that excerpt. I did a double take on the title and for a few moments wondered if the webmaster had goofed something up....

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Administrator of Legacy says he's not going to write them off just yet. :)

You're right, that does sound snazzier. :)

Is this excerpt meant to convince us not to buy the book? I mean, I've got plenty of monsters, more templates than I could use in 3 campaigns, and if it's about whole new systems of magic weapons, wouldn't showing one make more sense instead of just giving us an NPC's who got a few minor powers from encountering one once?

Sometimes excerpts scream "buy this book", this time, not so much. Did someone roll a Natural 1 on their Profession (Marketer) check?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I've now got the stats for a Mind Flayer in electronic form. Sssshhh!

(loud) Hey, WotC, don't listen to them! The excerpt is great! Now I want to see a Beholder of Legacy!

Thanks, -- N

Remove ads