WotC's growing pattern of broken promises

It is like when I worked for the local shopping malls- Every quarter needs to be the best quarter.
that is a HUGE issue. If I make (made up and really low numbers) $5 profit today and $7 tomorrow and $9 the next day, then after that have 2 days of making $7.50 that is seen as "Two down days" even though I not only turned profit but made above my starting profit.

I can not tell you how many times I have had to explain to someone that spending tens of thousands of dollars to 'increase growth' wont break even for 2 years and by then you may have to AGAIN reinvest some sum to be able to keep it going. On the other hand having a steady income for that time will end up better.

Sometimes my graphs spreadsheets and words work... sometimes I watch as people throw away winners for losers trying to chase a 'bigger winner'

Haplo781

Legend
that is a HUGE issue. If I make (made up and really low numbers) $5 profit today and $7 tomorrow and $9 the next day, then after that have 2 days of making $7.50 that is seen as "Two down days" even though I not only turned profit but made above my starting profit.

I can not tell you how many times I have had to explain to someone that spending tens of thousands of dollars to 'increase growth' wont break even for 2 years and by then you may have to AGAIN reinvest some sum to be able to keep it going. On the other hand having a steady income for that time will end up better.

Sometimes my graphs spreadsheets and words work... sometimes I watch as people throw away winners for losers trying to chase a 'bigger winner'
Dow Jones delenda est.

Remathilis

Legend
Sure, I'd sleeve up my own?

Can I interest you however in the better format, Modern? ;)
Can I interest you in only playing WotC era D&D from now on?

I'm amazed people are outraged that WotC is a greedy company who wants to monetize D&D to the penny but completely cool with WotC refusing to reprint legacy cards from the first decade of Magic's history because some people invested a car's worth into cards and would be sad if their dual lands aren't worth a ps5 a piece.

Last edited:

Pedantic

Legend
So it's apples to oranges then.
I don't think it is from a gameplay perspective, would the game not be meaningfully improved if you could buy all the decks for $300.00 instead of one deck for that price?

But I responding specifically to the claim that allowing proxies would destroy formats, a thing that is demonstrably not true by comparison to a game that does allow them. Netrunner has a Legacy, Standard and Limited format that all get tournament play.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Because the health of a company and the health of a hobby are not equivalent. The bigger the business the greater the chances of this.

There are stocks and profits to worry about…

when D&D was fringe you court the fringe. When it succeeds and grows, the suits take notice and get more directly involved, make bigger plans…the fringe is now fringe but not catered to.

The little people are again little. It’s creepy but true. With this focus, things get ever more cutthroat. There is more money on the table. Non binding agreements and attitudes become expendable. Gross, but typical.

PepsiCo ain’t worried about the feelings of Coca Cola distributors. And wouldn’t they snatch up territories and resources from them if they could grow their brand?

Remove ads