WotC's growing pattern of broken promises

Art Waring

halozix.com
WotC also recently broke the spirit of the Reserved List in Magic: The Gathering with their predatory 30th Anniversary Collectors Edition fiasco.

Does anyone have any speculation on why WotC's gone so unhinged?
Hasbro stock price has plummeted over the past year (2022), with banks downgrading their stock right before the release of M30, losing up to 40% of their stock balue and their stock is now downrated to a "sell now" stock. M30 was also a disaster, that they expected to make windfall profits from.

Shareholders inside Hasbro want to split wotc into another company, one of the reasons being that their money would double overnight. The split didn't happen, so they are desperate for new avenues of income to appease shareholders.

Shareholders are indicating that they are unhappy with the drop in stock price, which sparks "fireside chats," then mentioning the under-monetization of dnd, and the potentiasl destruction of the 3pp industry to eliminate any competition. Customers, creators, and publishers don't matter to Hasbro, all that matters is the shareholders.

Haplo781

Legend
I guess you are fine with Legacy dieing as a format? Or "no proxy" commander?
image6-1.png

That's akin to removing all TSR-era material from sale and saying "if your open to piracy, you printer solves the issue."
No, no it isn't.

Pedantic

Legend
There are no legacy tournaments. The cost is so prohibitive that no one can afford to play.

That said, I just replaced my printer cartridge and bought a land pack. Want to play my $4000 deck?
As a Netrunner player, I am baffled as to why this would be a bad thing. We just allow proxies at all events, and everyone has every card, and the competitive scene is just fine and supports a variety of formats.

Scribe

Legend
There are no legacy tournaments. The cost is so prohibitive that no one can afford to play.

That said, I just replaced my printer cartridge and bought a land pack. Want to play my $4000 deck?
Sure, I'd sleeve up my own?

Can I interest you however in the better format, Modern? ;)

Haplo781

Legend
Hasbro stock price has plummeted over the past year (2022), with banks downgrading their stock right before the release of M30, losing up to 40% of their stock balue and their stock is now downrated to a "sell now" stock. M30 was also a disaster, that they expected to make windfall profits from.

Shareholders inside Hasbro want to split wotc into another company, one of the reasons being that their money would double overnight. The split didn't happen, so they are desperate for new avenues of income to appease shareholders.

Shareholders are indicating that they are unhappy with the drop in stock price, which sparks "fireside chats," then mentioning the under-monetization of dnd, and the potentiasl destruction of the 3pp industry to eliminate any competition. Customers, creators, and publishers don't matter to Hasbro, all that matters is the shareholders.
Their price has dropped like 3.5% in the last 2 days alone.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Unfortunately there seems to be some (actual or perceived) legal issue forcing them to keep that in play despite the wishes of most of their customers and some within the company itself.
That'd be promisory stoppel, you know, the same kind of issue with them going back on their word about a license being allowed in perpetuity... Except milder...

Remove ads