D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Orcslayer78

Explorer
And as a result they are frequently pointed to as an example of a D&D race that is typically evil without being essentially evil. It’s precisely the kind of setup I think most folks on the “not all orcs are evil” side of the fence would like to see more of.

I mean, the depiction of drow has other problems of course, but in that sense at least, they’re better than orcs.
I don't see any problem with Drows

🤷‍♀️ I didn’t invent the slogan, but dismissing the idea behind it because one doesn’t like the wording is nonsense on the level of dismissing black lives matter on the basis of it not being called “all lives matter.”
"Black lives matter" means exactly what it says. You don't have to stop and explain that you don't mean what it looks like you mean. And to bring this back around to the topic, most if not all of this fifty-two-page thread is based on people not liking the wording of D&D's "race" system, so I think we're on the same page that wording is important.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"Black lives matter" means exactly what it says. You don't have to stop and explain that you don't mean what it looks like you mean.
Again, I didn’t invent the slogan. If I had, it would probably be worded differently. But it is what it is, and it’s silly to dismiss the content of an argument because you don’t like the quippy way it’s been sloganized.

And to bring this back around to the topic, most if not all of this fifty-two-page thread is based on people not liking the wording of D&D's "race" system, so I think we're on the same page that wording is important.
I’d call that a vast oversimplification of the issue, and in fact, I would say that the term used for the various groups of humanoids being “races” is actually the least of the problems with the way said groups are handled in D&D.

I was about to say that. In a way, Greek and Viking slavery was more respectable than American Slavery. I'm not saying it was good, I don't like slavery in any sense (even modern US legal slavery in the jail system) but what we did was worse than what the ancients did.

It was US slavery for less than 100 years of all the time it existed here in the Americas. Before that, it was British and French and Spanish and Dutch and Portugese slavery in their colonies, so don't go forgetting who started it in the first place and just blame the new country that inherited it and stupidly continued it. Only 5% of all transported slaves even ended up in the British colonies, so don't let rest of the European countries pretend like they had nothing to do with it.

Zardnaar

Legend
When Muhammed Ali went and gave his speech in the middle east they only made slavery criminal the year before iirc. That was the 60s or 70s iirc.

Slavery was kind of the default in a lot of the world pre 19th century. Fairly common fate for PoWs. British broke it up here.

Still happening in Europe with girls from places like Moldova and Romania. Won't mention Syria.

Yuan To Slavers probably gonna be major villains next game. Happy Pirate themed and the Elves are basically the East India company.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads