• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

Please do not emphasize like that in your responses to me. All caps, bolding, etc. are ways to emphasize that are fine.
Asking to check the actual meaning. Again. Was not swearing at you. Would rather not shout at people. That is worse.
Can try to refrain.

I will say. I find that you assume I am angry and that is clouding my judgment to be offensive. Please do not do that again

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't deny that racism is bad, I just think orcs are a Rorshach test of racist tropes.

So what if it is? Let us take it as a given, for now, that it is an entirely accidental collection of imagery that is unintentional, but overall evokes the stereotypes.

If you accidentally do a thing that isn't nice, you can easily be forgiven... so long as you act in a way to prevent it in the future.

"Oh, sorry, I stepped on your foot. Didn't mean to. Apologies."
"Oh, sorry, stepped onyour foot again."
"Oh, sorry. Still stepping on your foot."
"Geeze, I'm still crushing your toes, aren't I? Oops!"

Doesn't do it.

There comes a time when, whatever the origin of the issue, it is still your responsibility to change things. WotC is taking that responsibility, and choosing a way to stop stepping on toes.

What WotC will do does not actually change a gosh darned thing about how you run your game at home. It is not actually an imposition upon you. You don't need to change anything, or take any action. So, it is hard to see what standing you have in arguing against it.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I understand where you're coming from, I'm just feeling my way around this topic.
How did people realise slavery was wrong if things were so black and white morally speaking (excuse the pun)?
Surely there must have been an inkling that there was something wrong with the concept - even during Roman times.

The heartbreaking part to me is when they realized it was wrong and thought about it, and then changed for money or expediency.

In 1511 Dominican priest Antonio de Montesinos pointed out the evil that was being done to the native inhabitants of the Americas. The response of the crown and the religious establishment in 1513 was the Requirimento that formalized the brutalization.

In the very early 1600s, the English remarked on the evil of slavery practiced by the Spanish and Portuguese. Richard Jobson in 1621 wrote that the English "were a people, who did not deale in any such commodities, neither did wee buy or sell one another, or any that had our owne shapes." Then in 1640 they settled Barbados and decided it was good business.

Thomas Jefferson calculated if is children with Sally Hemings would count as white, and they would have counted as white if he let them leave Monticello. It doesn't seem to have particularly changed any legal compromises he was willing to make. At least (!?!) he helped them "go free" when they hit 21.

On the other hand, there are some that did change when confronted. After some years of anger following the war, confederate general P.G.T. Beauregard seems to have come around to be a proponent of civil rights, looking forward instead of back.

*First three as reported by Lepore in "These Truths"

Last edited:

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
To illustrate the problem with a particular argument being used in this thread, let's apply it to the thread itself:

Xenonnonex, go ahead and keep swearing. It's not really that many people that have a problem with it, and since they are emotional about it because of their previous experiences they aren't the best judges of whether or not it's offensive. It's definitely a misperception, as I don't find the way you were swearing offensive.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Where exactly is this Rorshach test being hidden?
Some other explicit real world links are witch doctors in 1e, shamans in 1e and subsequent editions, and Japanese-style hobgoblin armour in 1e.

I talk about these in post #1307 upthread.

There is also the 5e art for goblins and hobgoblins, which seems to be based on East Asian peoples (and is faithful to Tolkien in this respect).

goblin.png

hobgoblin.png

To illustrate the problem with a particular argument being used in this thread, let's apply it to the thread itself:

Xenonnonex, go ahead and keep swearing. It's not really that many people that have a problem with it, and since they are emotional about it because of their previous experiences they aren't the best judges of whether or not it's offensive. It's definitely a misperception, as I don't find the way you were swearing offensive.

Actually, I think the problem with swearing was brought up to illustrate the extreme view Xenonnonex has been supporting, likening the language used for orcs that he deems "disturbing" to swearword that they are entitled to feel "disturbing" too using the same reasoning. So basically, your advice is validating the position that language is of no importance, and I get the feeling that it was not your intention.

More civility I will try to bring. Thank you though.

Oofta

Legend
So what if it is? Let us take it as a given, for now, that it is an entirely accidental collection of imagery that is unintentional, but overall evokes the stereotypes.

If you accidentally do a thing that isn't nice, you can easily be forgiven... so long as you act in a way to prevent it in the future.

"Oh, sorry, I stepped on your foot. Didn't mean to. Apologies."
"Oh, sorry, stepped onyour foot again."
"Oh, sorry. Still stepping on your foot."
"Geeze, I'm still crushing your toes, aren't I? Oops!"

Doesn't do it.

There comes a time when, whatever the origin of the issue, it is still your responsibility to change things. WotC is taking that responsibility, and choosing a way to stop stepping on toes.

What WotC will do does not actually change a gosh darned thing about how you run your game at home. It is not actually an imposition upon you. You don't need to change anything, or take any action. So, it is hard to see what standing you have in arguing against it.

I think this is a complex issue that I can't address in a paragraph or two. I think there are issues (VGTM pops to mind with it's colonialist description of how to "tame" orcs). Personally I prefer my orcs being green with pig-like faces not vaguely ape-like.

My incredibly, not spelled out, I don't want to spend any more time on this version:
If you're going to have identifiably evil groups you can have​
  • evil monsters created as evil.
  • evil if they come from a certain region and follow a specific religion or ideology.
  • mostly evil but I'm sure there are some good ones*.
  • other?

There is not going to be a perfect solution. There is always going to be room for improvement. But we haven't discussed options and alternatives on this forum for a long time.

EDIT: is there a way to separate orcs from any real world ethnicity? In the past they've "represented" several. Tolkien is accused of making them eastern Asian/mongol, current accusation is PoC.

*Really trying to avoid real world politics here, it's kind of an area full of land mines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads