D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

This argument is starting to feel suspiciously like a similar line of discourse in video game culture: where capital G G@mers who wrap up their entire identity in the product they consume insist that their AAA games are on the same artistic level as books and film but get defensive when their games end up being subjected to the same level of critical analysis and scrutiny as those books and movies, doubly so when those critiques appeal to social themes. So which is it? Are games art -- and thus subject to the kind of criticism art gets -- or are they not? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Another thing I've noticed is that I feel like at this point, we've reacheda point where the Thermian argument has been brought out in full swing, and as a result everybody's talking past each other. For those who don't know:
A "Thermian Argument" is one that replies to criticism of a text with an in-universe justification for why the thing happens in the text, ignoring the actual argument in order to defend the text.

There's been some arguments being made in response to textual criticisms that rely on diegetic arguments -- arguments appealing to in-universe justification. Which don't really engage with the out-of-universe textual criticism; rather than responding to questions about why an author wrote something a certain way, they just insist that something is written a certain way and that's that. Arguments where one side falls into this trap eventually reach a point where they collapse entirely because the opposing sides are talking about completely different things. Not sure if this thread has reached that point yet.

Video where I got the term "Thermian Argument" from here:

And a video on diegesis that might be useful as a foundation:

G

Guest 6801328

But seriously: how you evaluate the intelligence of somebody who see Orcs as a racist metaphore of Afroamerican people?

First, I don't want to completely dismiss the possibility that racism, in the form of a general attitude that people of dark skin are inferior, lies underneath the common theme of the evil bad guys having dark skins in 19th and 20th century fiction.

But I don't even think that argument is necessary here. I don't think the problem is that it's an intentional metaphor as much as that it perpetuates a theme: "those who look like us are the good guys; those who look different should be eradicated."

Nobody here is racist,

I'm not sure that's true, but at least the number of racists has gone down by one!

Oh OK. I know exactly who you're talking about now.

I've seen your type before in other forums. You'll forgive me for not wanting to engage with you any further, as I find those views repugnant.

I like my Fantasy games to be inclusive thank you very much. You do you.

Sad about that. Maybe I don't know how to express my ideas in English very well.

GreyLord

Legend
Well my partner is black so maybe he might have influenced me, though he tolerates my gaming with mild bemusement, and wouldn’t know a drow from a dhow. He does think people equating orcs with POC is crazy but only as far as I’ve relayed the discussion.

I think the main reason I feel uncomfortable with historical depictions of drow is that I’ve listened to people who DO know they are talking about and are unhappy about it. In listening to their position I’m open to changing my mind which in most places is a virtue not a sin.

Another thing that deals between how we play our fantasy games of Drow and how that relates to real life.

Historically, in drama, there were actors that painted their faces black. It is known as blackface. It is an act that is seen as reprehensible in today's society. For many, it is not just unacceptable, it is morally repugnant. It is not something that many see as something that is acceptable to do.

When you go to conventions, I hear that there are many that go in blackface. They are trying to portray another race they say...

What race? Does it matter in this instance?

Why is it suddenly acceptable for a white individual to be in blackface at a convention...when it normally isn't acceptable at all?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Conflating people's "trauma" over perceived social ostracism, with PTSD caused by going to war and having bombs explode all around you and turn your best friend into a pink mist before your eyes, is tremendously disrespectful to actual veterans. Assuming the absolute worst assertions of these people are true, that they really are subjected to a continual onslaught of blatant racism or misogyny or the like, that still doesn't deserve to be called PTSD. I can't even imagine how offensive hearing about that kind of thing must be, to someone who has actually suffered a nervous breakdown as a result of their war experiences.

As someone who has PTSD from losing two friends when their Black Hawk got shot down, and who was in an area where land mines were exploding every day around you, and watched another friend have his brains leak out of his massive head trauma wound at my feet, I can tell you that a person subjected to daily oppression and racism all around them very much can also suffer from PTSD. Also, I'd ask you to refrain from using people like me to try to score points in an argument when you have no idea what you're talking about.

G

Guest 6801328

As someone who has PTSD from losing two friends when their Black Hawk got shot down, and who was in an area where land mines were exploding every day around you, and watched another friend have his brains leak out of his massive head trauma wound at my feet, I can tell you that a person subjected to daily oppression and racism all around them very much can also suffer from PTSD. Also, I'd ask you to refrain from using people like me to try to score points in an argument when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Is there a button that means "Like" but moreso?

TheSword

Legend
First, I don't want to completely dismiss the possibility that racism, in the form of a general attitude that people of dark skin are inferior, lies underneath the common theme of the evil bad guys having dark skins in 19th and 20th century fiction.

But I don't even think that argument is necessary here. I don't think the problem is that it's an intentional metaphor as much as that it perpetuates a theme: "those who look like us are the good guys; those who look different should be eradicated."

I'm not sure that's true, but at least the number of racists has gone down by one!
I don’t believe the existence of ‘monstrous races’ races says that at all. That metaphor is undermined by the fact that in this great game there are lots of creatures who don’t look like us and default to good.

There is a context. Yes there are orcs, gnolls and hobgoblins but there are also tritons, aaracocra, and svirfneblin.

[Edit. Bang on with the last point though]

G

Guest 6801328

Yes there are orcs, gnolls and hobgoblins but there are also tritons, aaracocra, and svirfneblin.

You don't think that if you take all the humanoid races, and analyze three variables: how often they appear in RPGs, what they look like, and how good/evil they are, a pattern emerges?

Svirfneblin might be an example of dark-skinned good guys, but...really...is that enough to negate all the evidence pointing the other way?

(It would actually make a great data visualization, if I had the data.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads