• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

InnocentPope

Explorer
Just saying I am glad D&D went with the pairings. I hope they do that for the rest of the MTG settings as well.

The article about Theros mentioned that while there were 15 gods, the 5 most central correspond directly to the five colors of magic. Heliod is the god of the sun, and that makes him White. Erebos is the lord of the world of the dead; that makes him Black. Again, the Magic colors do not correspond to colors of people.

Dire Bare

Legend
Read this article for how the cards were being circulated online. Crusade is not the worst (that goes to Invoke Prejudice) but yes these 7 have a bad reputation.

Thanks for the link, but . . . . nowhere in the article does is state that racist Magic players are using these cards as symbols for their beliefs.

These 7 cards have been removed from the game because the combination of card name, card art, flavor text, and game effect create racist connotations that don't belong in the game. One card, "Invoke Prejudice", the card artist reportedly was very intentional with his racist artwork, but there is zero evidence that the game designers or set editors were also being deliberately racist. The card ID number for that card is used as a coded racist message, but was randomly assigned to "Invoke Prejudice".

Unless you can provide some evidence that the game designers at WotC were deliberately creating racist cards and/or that racist Magic players are using the cards to support their beliefs . . . . . well, I just can't buy it.

As I said upthread though, WotC was right to remove the 7 cards and probably should have done so long before the current BLM protests brought these issues to the forefront. I'm glad these 7 cards won't be reprinted in the game and won't be displayed in Arena (online version of Magic) or in WotC's online card database.

Zardnaar

Legend
Just saying I am glad D&D went with the pairings. I hope they do that for the rest of the MTG settings as well.

Depends on the setting. Alara went for 3 colours.

Ravnica is probably the most popular set. I played at the time and it was great in standard, draft, block etc.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
As far as DnD races are concerned I'd very much like races to be more distinct in their physical aspects.

I'm game to remove all mental mods from classes altogether, you're not really capped by race in how much of a prodigy Wizard/Bard/Druid you can be. DEX, STR, CON however are a bit problematic when the three ft40 pound Gnome can match the 7 ft Goliath or the 200 pound dwarf because of game mechanics.

Gnomes are a magic race. They can be supernaturally strong.

Was it Villains and Vigilantes that had the really detailed formulas for how much someone could lift based on weight and strength and the like?

Given all the other fudging we do for playability, I'm not sure I care if a gnome that goes all out in strength is as strong as a half-orc or dragonborn that doesn't, no matter what physics would say. But it does feel wrong to me that a half-orc that goes all out and picked the race so they could be a tank, isn't one anymore than the standard D&D gnome (where super strength isn't part of their magical nature). Now if it's a world where gnomes as a species can do anything, cuz magic, then that's fine, but then I'd expect that to be in the description of the default world.

The +1 bonus feels enough to let the min-maxer of the race who has it get that extra edge, but not so much that it makes the other races not almost as good as most other races would be in that class.

As I said upthread though, WotC was right to remove the 7 cards and probably should have done so long before the current BLM protests brought these issues to the forefront. I'm glad these 7 cards won't be reprinted in the game and won't be displayed in Arena (online version of Magic) or in WotC's online card database.
Eh. I think not displaying them in Gatherer is a mistake likely to result in a Streisand Effect. They should have left the images up prefaced with their statement.

TheSword

Legend
Physical traits are problematic also.

Goliaths are naturally strong and athletic. Okay, now replace "goliaths" with "black people". Hopefully the problem with that leaps right out at you. If orcs embody negative racist tropes about black and indigenous peoples, goliaths embody the positive racist tropes. Either way, it's not a healthy way of thinking about groups of people, in the real world or the fantasy world.

No, actually I don’t think I will replace Goliath with black people. They are a group of people that are partially formed from elemental rock and are therefore strong. They have zero relation to any current ethnic group.

Taking a stereotype like black people being athletic. Then saying because X creature is strong it is analagous with black people is just nonsense. There are six stats in the d&d game. Some of the creatures in the game are going to stronger than the typical human.

Not everyone agrees with what you’re saying and some people are pretty disgusted that you make connections like this when people of colour already exist in the game...

... they’re called humans. They have stats and benefits - that they can take +1 to all stats or chose which stats to be good at and take a feat and a skill. I’m pretty cool with that.

[Edit: I should also say that most of the playable races also have dark skin. It isn’t limited to humans]

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads