• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

TheSword

Legend
MtG also banned the Jihad card.
People and cultures often have long memories.
I’ve been to Istanbul, the Crusades and Richard the Lionhearted are not fondly remembered there.

My cousin lived in Afghanistan, many Afganis still tell stories from the invasion by Alexander of Macedonia.

As for the Crusade card, I once went to a punk show in San Bernardino, CA where someone was passing out flyers with the Crusade magic card image on it, but changed to say “All Whites get +88”.

This was before I knew that 88 was slang for Heil Hittler.
Racists don’t get to own history. They can twist it however they like but they only win if you wash your hands and let them have it.

The Cleric and the Paladin are partly based on crusading knights Hospitler and Templar.

It’s a part of our history, good and bad. We own it confront it and learn from it. We don’t have to agree with the actions to find the period interesting.

There’s a great TV series on Netflix (there I go again) about the Knights Templar that seems pretty reasonable and would contest the far rights ownership of the history of the crusades and the crusader knights.

As far as DnD races are concerned I'd very much like races to be more distinct in their physical aspects.
I'm game to remove all mental mods from classes altogether, you're not really capped by race in how much of a prodigy Wizard/Bard/Druid you can be. DEX, STR, CON however are a bit problematic when the three ft40 pound Gnome can match the 7 ft Goliath or the 200 pound dwarf because of game mechanics.
I don't want to lock i.e. small races out of being effective fighty men. However I'd really appreaciate a creative solution that makes up for the lack of a mechanical +1 to rolls. Looking for an example the Edge mechanic from Shadowrun 5E (combined with a higher chargen cost for other races) did a pretty good job at making it an interesting choice if your melee guy was going to be a Troll, Orc, Dwarf or Hu interesting.

Gnomes are a magic race. They can be supernaturally strong.

If a gnome is a Paladin, then they should get a Charisma or Strength bonus. Players choice.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I mean, people were clamoring for some of them to be gone. Pradesh Gypsies is what it is, and Invoke Prejudice is absolutely horrible. It's just a few that were surprising.

For the surprising ones, it feels like some of what they're thinking can be seen by looking at the cards that weren't banned. Some have more expansive names (what type of crusade or cleansing). Some have similar effects (+1/+1, or destroy, or exile, or protection from a color) but no name or artwork to contribute to the impression. I don't think I would have banned some of them, but I'm hopeful it's not the slippery slope some others are worried about.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Context is everything. Context is why this card was banned. You claim that the card is now a symbol for racists among Magic players . . . . do you have a link to back that up? First I've heard of it.

Don't get me wrong, WotC was right to remove those 7 cards from the game. The confluence of card name, imagery, and game effect for "Crusade" is definitely something we don't need in Magic. Same for the other 6 cards on the list (Invoke Prejudice, Cleanse, Stone-Throwing Devils, Pradesh Gypsies, Jihad, and Imprison). "Invoke Prejudice" actually does have a sad, racist story behind the artwork for the card, although that wasn't known to the designers at the time (the artist is a whack-job white supremacist who loves putting coded, racist messages in his art).

But, do you have any evidence that this card was a deliberate racist dog-whistle rather than an unfortunate and inadvertent series of choices? Do you have any evidence of racist Magic players using any of these cards as symbols of their beliefs?

Bringing it back to D&D . . . . . the way D&D frames the fantasy races is problematic and racist. But was that the intent of Gygax, Arneson, and other creators? Or just inadvertently passing along racist tropes from mythology and literature? Either way, we need to acknowledge it and change it, but the intent behind the problem isn't meaningless.

EDIT: I am feeling sad that some folks here are looking at these 7 cards and saying, "What's the problem? How is this racist?" Wow, just wow.

Read this article for how the cards were being circulated online. Crusade is not the worst (that goes to Invoke Prejudice) but yes these 7 have a bad reputation.

Dire Bare

Legend
As far as DnD races are concerned I'd very much like races to be more distinct in their physical aspects.
I'm game to remove all mental mods from classes altogether, you're not really capped by race in how much of a prodigy Wizard/Bard/Druid you can be. DEX, STR, CON however are a bit problematic when the three ft40 pound Gnome can match the 7 ft Goliath or the 200 pound dwarf because of game mechanics.
I don't want to lock i.e. small races out of being effective fighty men. However I'd really appreaciate a creative solution that makes up for the lack of a mechanical +1 to rolls. Looking for an example the Edge mechanic from Shadowrun 5E (combined with a higher chargen cost for other races) did a pretty good job at making it an interesting choice if your melee guy was going to be a Troll, Orc, Dwarf or Hu interesting.

On the offtopic side. Do we want to talk about how all of the big anitque civilisations had slave labor? Babylon, Egypt, the Greek states, China, India and ofc history's poster child the Romans. I'm not going to sit here and defend that, because there honestly is no point. You'd have been hard pressed to explain to a Roman citizen how having 3 captured Sarmatians could possibly be wrong, that's how things had been for millenia at this point. That does not translate well into today's world.
However there is in all but name state sanctioned slave labor in US prisons. The 13th amendment explicitly exempts "puishment for convicted crime" from the bar on slavery. Well I'm not from across the pond, but from how often I've accidentially seen coverage about privatized prisons, lack of effort/interest to rehabilitate etc, from a supposedly first world country on another continent that makes me wonder about priorities.
We might get a bit too hung up on the Magic cards and tough to fill quotas for equality, before questioning the intentions and validity of the source material sometimes.
Physical traits are problematic also.

Goliaths are naturally strong and athletic. Okay, now replace "goliaths" with "black people". Hopefully the problem with that leaps right out at you. If orcs embody negative racist tropes about black and indigenous peoples, goliaths embody the positive racist tropes. Either way, it's not a healthy way of thinking about groups of people, in the real world or the fantasy world.

So how do we "have our cake and eat it too" by avoiding racist tropes embedded in our fantasy races and being able to play mythic archetypes like the strong giant or the savage barbarian? Acknowledging the problem is the easy part (despite some posters inability to do so), creating a better "race" system for D&D is the hard part. I don't have an answer for that myself yet.

Zardnaar

Legend
In the D&D versions of MTG, like Ravnica, there are ten sectors (not five), each sector being two of the five colors. There is no black in isolation, or white in isolation, or so on.

It wasn't D&D that did that but MtG. Ravnica was designed as a multicolour block along with Invasion block.

Those cards are called gold cards. The 10 guilds are simply the possible combinations of the MTG colour pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads