D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

The swastika is quite important to Hinduism and Buddhism and Jainism. Symbolizing spirituality and divinity. Symbolizing good luck and auspiciousness. Still is used in Asia for that.
Goddamn shame that goddamn little shites misappropriated it.

Just remember that they did not use it "as is", with the image straight up. They took it and rotated it 45 degrees, so that it looks more diagonal. So if you see the older, non-rotated version, it is probably not being used by a supremist group or person, but rather someone using it for it's original meaning.

I reckon they can best do this by making sure POC are represented as major NPCs In art, hiring POC to the team and consulting to make sure their products have more faithful examples of tradition, symbolism and myth from non-white cultures. Real things that could attract more POC to the hobby in the same way women were encouraged by more reasonable artwork and better gender split on iconics etc.

That is all provided these are the things that POC want... so they had better start by speaking to players and DMs and influences from those communities to make sure they aren’t barking up the wrong tree.

For how to make D&D as unsexist as possible, I am speaking my voice, to have more frequent and more overt examples of gays and transgenders in official products. Gay couples doing things that couples do, whether holding hands or running an inn or a monarchy. Statues honoring spouses. Normal stuff.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Not even close, besides the darkness of the skin.

A typical blackface performer would make sure that contrasting colors were used to accentuate the visibility of the lips (red or white) and palms or whole hands (white) at the barest minimum. Some would take it farther with stereotypical voices, speech patterns, and reactions to things in their environment (certain foods, the supernatural, white authority figures).

View attachment 122928

In comparison, Chang’s lips are as dark as the rest of his face. Ditto his palms.

And Chang’s mannerisms as a Drow there are not black stereotypes except in the sense that he often adopted “urban American” speech/slang patterns even when he WASN’T role-playing a Drow.

"Besides the darkness of the skin"

1592371027859.png

EDIT: I'm pretty confused how people are saying "The Drow makeup is very different from blackface" when the scene it's from literally has a blackface joke about it (and that's why they put in the whole scene).

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Thank you for the more elaborate detailed post. It's much more discussive and less dismissive that you comment I quoted earlier and shows a reasonable interpretation of why you find the art problematic.

Does you find the alternate artwork version of the card acceptable, or is the title and effect still too much?

I haven't seen the alternate art piece, so I'm not sure. The effect by itself isn't bad (it is a normal mechanic) it's just plus the title and art that makes it squeamish. Different title and art, keeping the card effect the same and no problems I can see.

the Jester

Legend
In a world where Polymorph and Shapechange are reality, I'm not sure the medical path to transitioning would be the only path. In fact, it could be an interesting game where people temporarily or permanently changing their gender was a common occurrence. Maybe as background setting; or maybe foregrounded in some way.

I have a homebrewed cantrip called genderbend for this, and played a character who used it all the time, to the point where it was probably six or eight sessions in before any of the other players was certain whether s/he was biologically male or female.

I have a homebrewed cantrip called genderbend for this, and played a character who used it all the time, to the point where it was probably six or eight sessions in before any of the other players was certain whether s/he was biologically male or female.
That sounds like a fun cantrip.

Is the alter ego useful for disguise, such as for a Rogue? Or is the alter ego too similar − being male and female versions of the same person − more like Leonardo Da Vinci and his alter ego the Mona Lisa?

ccs

41st lv DM
Thinking on the pioneers of D&D, including Anderson, Gygax, and others. They seem progressive for their era.

There is racism in their creations. But they were in a time when the country was convulsing from Martin Luther King Jr, desegregation, and so on. For them, D&D fantasy racism might have been a safe play-space, to objectify and relativize what racism is. In other words, the play-space where racism didnt actually hurt anyone (at least not directly) might have served as a therapeutic method to breakout of the very reallife mentality of racism. Within this playful space, they gained a kind of empowerment to control racism rather than be controlled by racism. Hence, Elves hate Dwarves etcetera.

If this was true then. Perhaps these race tropes have outlived their usefulness. What was for them a ladder up out of racist thinking, is today just ladder back down into it.

Sure, that could be an explanation.

Or maybe....
They started out as miniature wargamers,
wrote up some fantasy based mods for what they were playing so that they could do LotR style minis battles,
refined that down into a new game style where they could tell/play their own Fellowship of the Ring type stories,
wich resulted in groups of adventurers raiding dungeons & crypts in search of treasure and fighting ever nastier monsters the deeper in they went.
And along the way they did exactly what everyone of us do today - the borrowed everything from their favorite adventure stories/myths/movies etc & threw it into the mix - hence Elves vs Dwarfs etc. Orcs from JRRT. etc etc etc
I very much doubt that they were using D&D as some sort of self-enacted racism therapy.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads