D&D 5E WotC's Jeremy Crawford on D&D Races Going Forward

On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty. @ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Jeremy Crawford discussed the treatment of orcs, Vistani, drow and others in D&D, and how WotC plans to treat the idea of 'race' in D&D going forward. In recent products (Eberron and Wildemount), the mandatory evil alignment was dropped from orcs, as was the Intelligence penalty.

636252771691385727.jpg

@ThinkingDM Look at the treatment orcs received in Eberron and Exandria. Dropped the Intelligence debuff and the evil alignment, with a more acceptable narrative. It's a start, but there's a fair argument for gutting the entire race system.

The orcs of Eberron and Wildemount reflect where our hearts are and indicate where we’re heading.

@vorpaldicepress I hate to be "that guy", but what about Drow, Vistani, and the other troublesome races and cultures in Forgotten Realms (like the Gur, another Roma-inspired race)? Things don't change over night, but are these on the radar?

The drow, Vistani, and many other folk in the game are on our radar. The same spirit that motivated our portrayal of orcs in Eberron is animating our work on all these peoples.

@MileyMan1066 Good. These problems need to be addressed. The variant features UA could have a sequel that includes notes that could rectify some of the problems and help move 5e in a better direction.

Addressing these issues is vital to us. Eberron and Wildemount are the first of multiple books that will face these issues head on and will do so from multiple angles.

@mbriddell I'm happy to hear that you are taking a serious look at this. Do you feel that you can achieve this within the context of Forgotten Realms, given how establised that world's lore is, or would you need to establish a new setting to do this?

Thankfully, the core setting of D&D is the multiverse, with its multitude of worlds. We can tell so many different stories, with different perspectives, in each world. And when we return to a world like FR, stories can evolve. In short, even the older worlds can improve.

@SlyFlourish I could see gnolls being treated differently in other worlds, particularly when they’re a playable race. The idea that they’re spawned hyenas who fed on demon-touched rotten meat feels like they’re in a different class than drow, orcs, goblins and the like. Same with minotaurs.

Internally, we feel that the gnolls in the MM are mistyped. Given their story, they should be fiends, not humanoids. In contrast, the gnolls of Eberron are humanoids, a people with moral and cultural expansiveness.

@MikeyMan1066 I agree. Any creature with the Humanoid type should have the full capacity to be any alignmnet, i.e., they should have free will and souls. Gnolls... the way they are described, do not. Having them be minor demons would clear a lot of this up.

You just described our team's perspective exactly.

As a side-note, the term 'race' is starting to fall out of favor in tabletop RPGs (Pathfinder has "ancestry", and other games use terms like "heritage"); while he doesn't comment on that specifically, he doesn't use the word 'race' and instead refers to 'folks' and 'peoples'.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
My answer is a no for the last two... I'm assuming the inspiration for half-elves and half-orcs is Tolkien so that never struck me as odd (except that they were so common). Is there any literary source that uses a half-dwarf or half-gnome? Is there a good reason not to have had Tiefling just an overlay on the other races?

Were there ever half-orcs in Tolkien, though? It's a logical extrapolation from half-elves, but D&D orcs never kept that part of Tolkien's lore.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Do you understand the difference??? CHARACTERS ARE NOT PEOPLE - NOT EVEN FICTIONAL PEOPLE!

The issue is the humanization of the cars and whether you take real life inspiration.

Basically, if you treat orcs as being not people but monsters, then you have to be very careful taking inspirations from real life people or using iconography of real life people.

But if you treat orcs like humaniod people, then the issue is lessened as you are attributing traits to people not monsters.

It is easy to offend when you pain a coat of real life humans onto a monster.

Last edited:

(I haven’t read all 500 replies in this thread. Sorry if this has been addressed.)

Let me start by saying I have nothing less than 100%, full-throated support for the BLM movement and its objectives.

Is it appropriate to rewrite “bad guy” monsters to always be nuanced like this? It seems like a major genre shift to say that orcs aren’t automatically villainous by default anymore, when it’s a classic fantasy trope. Removing the intelligence penalty for orcs seems generous too—they’re supposed to be dumb, brutish monsters, not humans.

I suppose I’m wondering overall whether these changes are really serving the real-world goal of addressing racism, or if these genre changes are change for changes’ sake.

The issue is the humanization of the cars and whether you take real life inspiration.

Basically, if you treat orcs as being not people but monsters, then you have to be very careful taking inspirations from real life people or using iconography of real life people.

But if you treat orcs like humaniod people, then the issue is lessened as you are attributing traits to people not monsters.

It is easy to offend when you pain a coat of real life humans onto a monster.
What is puzzling me is the whole focus on orcs intelligence issue. Why -2INT of Orcs come out now that the world is talking about racism against afroamericans? Latins said "Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta" that means more or less in english "a not requested apology is the same as an evident auto-accusation".

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
(I haven’t read all 500 replies in this thread. Sorry if this has been addressed.)

Let me start by saying I have nothing less than 100%, full-throated support for the BLM movement and its objectives.

Is it appropriate to rewrite “bad guy” monsters to always be nuanced like this? It seems like a major genre shift to say that orcs aren’t automatically villainous by default anymore, when it’s a classic fantasy trope. Removing the intelligence penalty for orcs seems generous too—they’re supposed to be dumb, brutish monsters, not humans.

I suppose I’m wondering overall whether these changes are really serving the real-world goal of addressing racism, or if these genre changes are change for changes’ sake.

The issue is giving "bad guy monsters" real life people inspirations. That stuff doesn't fly anymore. You can't make orcs always evil savage monsters and dress them up as psuedo Britons, Mongols, or Congo people.

"Bad guy monsters" either need generic or completely unique history, icons, and images.

I don't mind giving the " always evil" races a bit more nuance.
Given that they are, as I said earlier, different species, however, I don't think removing modifiers is really helping. Orcs are, for example, less prone to deep thinking than humans while goblins are not as strong as humans. The score adjustments serve to highlight where these races deviate from the implied norm (as in, us).

But, yeah, I get what you are saying. I fear that WotC may try to get into the good graces of a small but sadly very vocal minority and change things that do not need changing.
And I am not talking about the BLM movement, whose motives and purpose I wholeheartedly support. I am talking about those people who think " stirring up a sh*tstorm on the net" is already " activism".

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Were there ever half-orcs in Tolkien, though? It's a logical extrapolation from half-elves, but D&D orcs never kept that part of Tolkien's lore.

There were half Orcs likely at the Prancing Pony and some orcs were thought to have been crossed with humans.

I confess to having to go back and double check. It doesn't look like they spelled it all out, but seems close enough. The following is lifted from lotr.fandom:

The first appearance of these half-goblins occurs in Fellowship of the Ring in describing one known as the Southerner, a spy of Saruman's; "In one of the windows he caught a glimpse of a sallow face with sly, slanting eyes; but it vanished at once. ‘So that’s where that southerner is hiding!’ he thought. ‘He looks more than half like a goblin.'"

Further description follows in The Two Towers: "But there were some others that were horrible: man-high, but with goblin-faces, sallow, leering, squint-eyed. Do you know, they reminded me at once of that Southerner at Bree; only he was not so obviously orc-like as most of these were."

In "The Scouring of the Shire there is further mention of the half-orcs under Saruman's control, described as men having squinty eyes and sallow complexion (a description used to describe Saruman's spy near Bree at The Fellowship of the Ring, as well as some of the orcs in The Two Towers), which seems to suggest that they look mostly human but share some of the features of the orcs. "they were disturbed to see half a dozen large ill-favoured Men lounging against the inn-wall; they were squint-eyed and sallow-faced. ‘Like that friend of Bill Ferny’s at Bree,’ said Sam. ‘Like many that I saw at Isengard,’ muttered Merry. Of all the ends to our journey that is the very last I should have thought of: to have to fight half-orcs and ruffians in the Shire itself - to rescue Lotho Pimple!’"

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
What is puzzling me is the whole focus on orcs intelligence issue. Why -2INT of Orcs come out now that the world is talking about racism against afroamericans? Latins said "Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta" that means more or less in english "a not requested apology is the same as an evident auto-accusation".

WOTC wants to keep Orcs and Drow dark skinned so they don't want to associate one of the iconic darkskinned races as brutish dumb monsters and the other as sexist evil backstabbers during a time of increased visblility to African Americans.

G

Guest 6801328

The orcs in Tolkiens work, were they even born? I mean if you look at the scene where Saruman witnesses the "birth" of this Orog out of a bubble inside the earth (in the movie), is this applicable only to the magic process of creating an Orog, or does this "birth" method apply to all orcs in Middle earth? Do they even have females or young? I cannot recall that atm tbh.

I find it vaguely depressing that people cite scenes from the movies as if they have anything to do with Middle-earth lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads