D&D (2024) Would a OneDND closed/restricted license be good, actually?

mamba

Legend
"If Wizards of the Coast destroys D&D..." (they won't)
they won't
"...by publishing a really restrictive OGL..." (they won't, it can't)
they are about to
"... people would stop playing D&D..." (most won't)
some will
"...and then start playing different games instead!" (we already do. There is no "instead," there is only "also.")
more will

Reynard

Legend
Well, by all accounts 4e was a commercial success. It was clearly a necessary precursor, in design terms, to 5e (which in mechanical terms has more in common with 4e than with AD&D or 3E).

I don't assert that anyone is infallible. Neither WotC, nor you, nor me. But I still think that WotC is a more reliable judge of what will serve its commercial interests than any poster in this thread.
Lol. Let's shut down the whole discussion then.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They might release a version of the game a given player or referee might not want to engage with, but they probably won't "destroy" D&D. They might make it less profitable by making boneheaded business decisions, but they won't intentionally shoot their golden goose.
They've already announced they're going to.
Some already are. But yeah, most will just gobble up whatever WotC puts out.
"...and then start playing different games instead!" (we already do. There is no "instead," there is only "also.")
More will simply stop playing. For a lot of people it's WotC's latest D&D or nothing.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
They've already announced they're going to.
They've announced they are going to release a more restrictive OGL, yes...but this isn't going to hurt D&D at all. Because:
But yeah, most will just gobble up whatever WotC puts out.

More will simply stop playing. For a lot of people it's WotC's latest D&D or nothing.
Customer loyalty is a thing, yes. Like you said: most of their customers will buy whatever they release. This isn't because of delusion, ignorance, or hypnosis; it's because they are most familiar with the D&D brand, they like the D&D brand more than the other brands, and they want to support the D&D brand. This is a good thing. Because as long as the D&D brand is thriving, other non-D&D brands can, and will, thrive in its shadow.

Nobody is going to "simply stop playing" D&D because of their OGL.

As stated in the OP, it's not conceivable to me that wotc wouldn't still be dominant in the ttrpg space, so I don't think the "destruction of dnd" is on the table. The question pertains more specifically to the impact of an OGL 1.1. I've seen people state that the effect will be negligible because OGL 1.1 will not affect most creators and will not be very onerous to those creators it does affect (this seems to be your position). Others have stated the effect will be negative, as being able to claim compatibility with the latest edition is important for some creators.

My argument is that the OGL 1.1 is potentially a positive development for non-wotc companies and creators, not because its effect might be negligible, but rather in fracturing the 5e ecosystem it would create a more diverse ttrpg landscape overall. This is true even if people stick with "5e" and OGL 1.0: one can imagine a slew of 5e derived content, all loosely compatible with each other but still expressing different intent with regards to gameplay and theme. That's already somewhat the state of affairs (level up, flee mortals, etc) but it would be amplified. Most optimistically, some of those creators would switch to developing content for other similar systems (pathfinder, 13th age, various OSR/NSR games) or maybe even branch out further, and find more of an audience for their products.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It should be if you care about D&D continuing to be produced and supported, not just the game itself, but all IP, including cartoons and movies.
The game itself is about 90% of what I care about, and I have everything I need from them, pretty much. Besides, they really don't need my help. I don't think WotC is in any danger.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They've announced they are going to release a more restrictive OGL, yes...but this isn't going to hurt D&D at all. Because:
It will hurt them, but it won't hurt them much.
Customer loyalty is a thing, yes. Like you said: most of their customers will buy whatever they release.
Most. Not all.
This isn't because of delusion, ignorance, or hypnosis; it's because they are most familiar with the D&D brand, they like the D&D brand more than the other brands, and they want to support the D&D brand.
Eh. Most likely a big chunk are only aware of the D&D brand and completely ignorant of all other RPGs. D&D is the only RPG that's even close to trying to be a brand.
This is a good thing. Because as long as the D&D brand is thriving, other non-D&D brands can, and will, thrive in its shadow.
That's not how it works. There's a limited amount of money and audience, D&D is hoovering up the overwhelmingly vast majority of both. Leaving almost nothing to spread around to all the other games and companies. D&D goes bye bye (or even takes a solid hit to their sales), then a lot of that money and audience will then spill over to other games and companies. A rising tide does not raise all ships.
Nobody is going to "simply stop playing" D&D because of their OGL.
You must not be reading the same threads on this site that I am, because according to some posters here they already are.

Catolias

Explorer
Customer loyalty is a thing, yes. Like you said: most of their customers will buy whatever they release. This isn't because of delusion, ignorance, or hypnosis; it's because they are most familiar with the D&D brand, they like the D&D brand more than the other brands, and they want to support the D&D brand. This is a good thing. Because as long as the D&D brand is thriving, other non-D&D brands can, and will, thrive in its shadow.
This is a non sequitur. Customers liking the D&D brand will not lead to people investigating or being interested in other non-D&D ttrpg. They might stick with 5e, transfer to 1D&D or give up altogether.

D&D is the dominant player that crowds out smaller games and denies the light and exposure for other rule systems. Brands do not thrive in shadows. Especially when entering into a recession / economic downturn.

mamba

Legend
It should be if you care about D&D continuing to be produced and supported, not just the game itself, but all IP, including cartoons and movies.
I really do not care about their cartoons and movies. I was willing to throw them a bone and watch the movie, but no longer am.

Remove ads