• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would this bother you?

Andor

First Post
That is some weirdness I have to admit. I've seen players not want to play in a world they were unfamiliar with, but never because some other player was familiar with it.

Also, Rogue/ninja? Talk about a one trick pony. (Although it will be a hell of a trick.) Given her insecurities I'd have a private word with the GM about avoiding undead and other monsters immune to her precision damage, lest she feel discriminated againt. I'd lay good odds, she is hyper-sensative about that sort of thing.

Dlsharrock

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
This sounds like a healthy dose of the Insecurity Flu mixed with Jealousy. There's something else going on here that's deeper than an RPG or a specific setting....

Nail, head, hammer.

"My question is would it be an issue for you to play in a setting where one player knew the setting and the others did not?"

Not at all.
Matter of fact I have played in a couple Ravenloft orginal module games... a personal favorite that I had run a number of times prior....

Had a blast playing a barbarian who followed everyone else around and charged pretty much anything that moved {freind or foe.. didn't matter} Lots of good roleplaying and I was only tempted a couple of times to use OOC knowledge... like when the Thief was blowing thier search rolls in the Study :)

But that was with a solid group that worked well together and had no oustide influencers like male-female relationships. I am sure if I walked into the Source and dropped into a Ravenloft game there would be some concern from the other players and DM for knowing the module.
If it was just the setting.. the only concern I see is if the player with the knowledge wants to try and run the game and constantly corrects the DM. {Reason I never ran a game set in FR or Greyhawk...}

Elf Witch

First Post
roguerouge said:
As a compromise, you could have the DM run an adventure path, like Rise of the Rune Lords. The DM has to learn the setting, but doesn't have to design the adventures, which may help.

That was a suggested compromise. The DM has played in an Age of Worms game she has all the dungeons with them so she suggested she run that. She looked at some others but it came down to what she or I own. Budgets are real tight right now and so buying anything new is just not possible.

Of course the problem rearing it ugly head is this. Neither of the other players like a meat grinder style game and Age of Worms can be that. The DM is worried that with the choices they have made for Age of Worms she is going to play her ninja/rogue he is going to play a beguiler/rogue is going to make the party unable to make it through.

I have agreed to play the front line fighter which is something I really didn't want to do. I really wanted to play a mage of some kind. But without a front line fighter we are doomed.

But I am still concerned about why she feels this way. I guess I was hoping to find another reason other then the glaring one and that is she does not trust me to play fair or my roommate to run a fair game.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I've been in games where others knew more then me all the time. Particularly Forgotten Realms, where some players read all the books and stuff and I just wanted to play.

Heck, I've played the bard, who should know more stories of the land then the other PCs, when other players knew much more then I did. It worked out.

I've also run where some players knew more then others. It's all about keeping separate in-character and out-of-character knowledge.

Cheers,
=Blue(23)

JeffB

Legend
One of the players did not want to play Kalamar because she and the other player didn't know the setting and I did and that would give me an unfair advantage.

The things some Gamers (including myself at times) will bitch & moan about never ceases to amaze me.

I would not be bothered in the least. What a player knows and what a character knows are two different things.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Elf Witch said:
I DM every other Saturday and I have been dying to play. So my roommate decided to run a game on the other Saturday.

She wanted to run an established setting because she does not feel she has the time to build and maintain a home brew.

She picked Kalamar because it is my favorite setting and hers as well and we played in it for three years amd she knows it inside and out. It also has some excellent modules that we never played in to help her with some of the work.

Two of the players from my game were invited the third already plays in an Age of Worms game on that Saturday.

They both said yes they wanted to play and we started making characters. I was really exicited I have not played in such a long time.

Suddenly it came to a screeching halt. One of the players did not want to play Kalamar because she and the other player didn't know the setting and I did and that would give me an unfair advantage.

I don't understand this yes I know the setting but I don't know the modules and the game my roommate is going to run is new not based on the old game we played with a different group of people and DM.

This of course lead to a lot of issues we could not play Eberron because I know that setting.

We have other setting books but my roommate does not know them and really does not want to run something new because as I said before lack of time.

My question is would it be an issue for you to play in a setting where one player knew the setting and the others did not?

I LOVE playing in games I don't know the setting for. The first game is always very exciting. Like that first time you open a game you have been waiting months to play, but your not fully sure how the game will turn out.

In fact i feel sorry for you instead because you know the setting so well.

If i know the feats and spells and very most basic of general assumptions about the setting, im good to go.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It wouldn't bother me unless the setting seemed stupid at a glance (Kalamar does not) or the other players were going to obsess over useless trivia and drag play to a halt.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
When I run D&D, I don't tell the players what setting they're in until after characters have been made unless its a very bizarre setting and has a lot of custom rules. I don't see any reason why a Kalamar character would be created any different than a Forgotten Realms character (though I have to admit that when I run an FR game, I ignore 90% of the crunch developed for it and run things straight out of the core rules) or a Greyhawk character. The reason I do it this way is so I don't get setting specific objections until after they see what I have in mind for the game. More often than not, my players stick around because they like how I run a game, not because of the setting we play in.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I do know players who will use any and every advantage to be a prima donna. I don't play with them when I can avoid it. A person who knows the setting better could recognize what's happening first, and then more frequently be th eone to com eup wiht the plan that saves the day, and generally manage to keep themselves center-stage with their knowledge. Kind of like having one player memorize the MM, and constantly using that knowledge to allow them to be the one that knows how to best kill the monsters.

If these players have had bad experiences with such players, they could be a bit gun-shy. It is also possible that they're feeling some weirdness because they are used to thinking of you as a GM, and haven't gotten it into their heads that you don't need to be in control all the time.

The usual way to deal with this would be to talk to them. Talking to us only gets you speculation.

Remove ads