Dragonlance Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

• Yes

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 82 60.7%
  • Yes, providing the character originated on Krynn

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • No, but I'd refluff the stats and allow those as another race

Votes: 6 4.4%

asorel

First Post
Klepto is just a way of playing a character. I can do that now. The immunity to fear thing is just taken from Frodo and company, which halflings share.

They're just halflings with the thief and "cuteness" aspects dialed up to 11. Its the same thing.

It's more than a way of playing a character. The Kender's magpie-like urges are stated to be an aspect of the race as a whole. Also, the Kender acquiring their Fear immunity from a memetic ancestor which they share with the Halflings does not give Halflings that trait as well.

Mercule

Adventurer
Some races have a "world identity" that so strongly evokes the source material that they scream when brought into other settings. Kender are one of these (along with Warforged from Eberron). Not a chance I'd allow them in another game. The fact that, while I liked Tas well enough, I don't see it as a functional schtick for a whole race probably plays heavily into that, as well.

Gnarl45

First Post
I would let my player have his kender but I would make it clear to him that playing a Kender outside of Krynn would be about the same as playing a wookie or other alien race. He would probably be looked with a lot of suspicion or get kidnapped by a mad doctor to be dissected.

Mephista

Adventurer
It's more than a way of playing a character. The Kender's magpie-like urges are stated to be an aspect of the race as a whole. Also, the Kender acquiring their Fear immunity from a memetic ancestor which they share with the Halflings does not give Halflings that trait as well.
That's still just roleplaying hints, but for the GM. Is every last Yuan-ti going to be like the MM write-up? Is a PC Pureblood Yuan-ti (hey, its happened in the past) going to be like the MM write up? Of course not. Is every elf a racist jerk that looks down on other races? Nope.

The whole kender thing is nothing more than a stereotype, no different than trying to play a Drizz't clone, but with Tas clones instead.

asorel

First Post
That's still just roleplaying hints, but for the GM. Is every last Yuan-ti going to be like the MM write-up? Is a PC Pureblood Yuan-ti (hey, its happened in the past) going to be like the MM write up? Of course not. Is every elf a racist jerk that looks down on other races? Nope.

The whole kender thing is nothing more than a stereotype, no different than trying to play a Drizz't clone.

The severity of non-mechanical personality aspects ultimately varies from player to player, but the Kender mentality is hardly equivalent to clones of Salvadore's character. This can be seen in the fact that Drizz't is a third party creation, whereas the idiosyncrasies of Kender are found in the core descriptions of the race.

Some races have a "world identity" that so strongly evokes the source material that they scream when brought into other settings. Kender are one of these (along with Warforged from Eberron). Not a chance I'd allow them in another game. The fact that, while I liked Tas well enough, I don't see it as a functional schtick for a whole race probably plays heavily into that, as well.

I would let my player have his kender but I would make it clear to him that playing a Kender outside of Krynn would be about the same as playing a wookie or other alien race. He would probably be looked with a lot of suspicion or get kidnapped by a mad doctor to be dissected.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it, and kind of what I was wondering about. I figured Kender's world-identity is strong enough that it really illustrates the question of "do you feel an obligation/desire/need to allow races from one world in a campaign in an unrelated world?"

Remove ads