Dragonlance Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

Would you allow Kender outside of Dragonlance?

• Yes

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • No

Votes: 82 60.7%
  • Yes, providing the character originated on Krynn

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • No, but I'd refluff the stats and allow those as another race

Votes: 6 4.4%

Warunsun

First Post
I have seen Kender allowed in a Ravenloft campaign. I wasn't the DM. Since Ravenloft is extra-planer I can kind of understand it but I would in no way encourage it.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I'm just wondering. For me allowing something so incredibly tied to a particular setting to be played outside of it just jarring and not appealing at all (as DM or a player at the table of a DM doing so). I'm getting the impression that some others feel differently, so I want to see where most are at.

Yes I would. It is no more or less difficult then allowing Dragonborn or Tieflings.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I have seen Kender allowed in a Ravenloft campaign. I wasn't the DM. Since Ravenloft is extra-planer I can kind of understand it but I would in no way encourage it.

...yeah, I gotta say, in RL or Dark Sun or some similar, sombre-toned setting (maybe Birthright?) I'd not allow Kender.

But FR or Greyhawk or even Planescape could probably deal with 'em just fine. And they wouldn't be the most ridiculous things on Mystara, either.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Sure, I wouldn't mind. My players know that regardless of the character they bring to the table they are responsible for making choices during play that are fun for everyone and contribute to the creation of an exciting, memorable story. A player who buys into those goals of play can play any character successfully.

Dausuul

Legend
Hell, I wouldn't allow kender in Dragonlance. :)

More seriously: No. As far as I'm concerned, kender are confined to Dragonlance, warforged to Eberron, muls to Dark Sun, and dragonborn to 4E. I don't even include elves and dwarves unless I feel satisfied that they have a place in the setting and are not being crammed in "just because."

S

Sunseeker

Yes I would. It is no more or less difficult then allowing Dragonborn or Tieflings.

I suppose if you had to include the 4E lore for them. The fact that Tieflings existed in Faerun before that though kinda dilutes the potency of said lore.

I mean, Kender w/o the lore are what, annoying halflings? Not much new there.

Not allowing Kender is basically the same reason I don't allow Drow. Dark elves? Sure. They're just elves of another skin color. But Lolth-worshipping suberterrainian psychopaths with some kind of crazy civilization nobody knows about? No.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I suppose if you had to include the 4E lore for them. The fact that Tieflings existed in Faerun before that though kinda dilutes the potency of said lore.

I mean, Kender w/o the lore are what, annoying halflings? Not much new there.

Not allowing Kender is basically the same reason I don't allow Drow. Dark elves? Sure. They're just elves of another skin color. But Lolth-worshipping suberterrainian psychopaths with some kind of crazy civilization nobody knows about? No.

I do not really see the point of having Dark Elves if they are not a psychopathic subterranean spider loving cult of personality.

If they were not already invented then I would have to invent them myself.

Dausuul

Legend
I do not really see the point of having Dark Elves if they are not a psychopathic subterranean spider loving cult of personality.
Oh, I think they work very nicely as a mysterious cabal living in the shadows of the high elf empire, advancing sinister plans.

Remove ads