D&D 5E Would you be okay with class abilities that explicitly addressed multi-classing?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Name one. To meet your argument it has to have the following criteria:

• Be above the power curve for its level investment when multiclassed.
  • Be at or below the power curve for its level investment when not multiclassed.
  • Not have an alternate way to scale in power except by mentioning multiclassing (if applicable).

To prove that some features are fine for single classed characters but not fine with multiclassed characters then I don't have an issue agreeing with #1 and #2 but #3 has nothing to do with that.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
To prove that some features are fine for single classed characters but not fine with multiclassed characters then I don't have an issue agreeing with #1 and #2 but #3 has nothing to do with that.

#3 is mainly for anything that would add Proficiency, which can be solved by having the feature scale with class level (and thus doesn't meet the criteria for needing to address multiclassing directly).

FrogReaver

#3 is mainly for anything that would add Proficiency, which can be solved by having the feature scale with class level (and thus doesn't meet the criteria for needing to address multiclassing directly).

But scaling it with class level vs scaling it with character level are 2 different features. If I was to present an ability that scales with character level and shows #1 and #2 you shouldn't be able to dismiss that feature because another somewhat similar feature exists.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
But scaling it with class level vs scaling it with character level are 2 different features. If I was to present an ability that scales with character level and shows #1 and #2 you shouldn't be able to dismiss that feature because another somewhat similar feature exists.

Sure I can, because everything is in the perspective of "Would you be okay with class abilities that explicitly addressed multi-classing?"

Satyrn

First Post

This is what I don't like about the examples the OP provided.

If the feature is something that isn't supposed to scale by character, it shouldn't be tied to something that scales by character level.

FrogReaver

Sure I can, because everything is in the perspective of "Would you be okay with class abilities that explicitly addressed multi-classing?"

Currently our debate is about the premise of: "A class feature can be fine for a single classed character but not fine for a multiclassed character". #3 doesn't belong here.

You are combining the overall thread (which #3 is imporatant for) with the specific tangent we are on that needs resolved before you and I can discuss the overall thread. If we can't even agree about the fundamental premise behind this thread we aren't going to have any chance of reaching agreement regarding the overall thread.

Horwath

Legend
Multi classing is already weaker option than single class except few corner cases that involves dip of a level or two.

And I hate dip multiclassing.

I have made house rule that multiclassing can be done only one-by-one level basis, but you get double class levels at levels 5,8,11,14,17,20.

That is 5th level MC character(fighter/rogue) would have features of 3rd level fighter and 3rd level rogue. Dual levels would get average HPs of the two classes.

8th level would be 5/5 split,
11th lvl, 7/7 split
14th lvl, 9/9 split
17th lvl, 11/11 split
20th lvl, 13/13 split,

This gives more natural progress for MC character and gives a bonus in utility not pure power.

As 20th level cookie-cut MC character of 18/2 is stronger than 13/13 even split.

Also if this proves too powerful for your taste, you can slow down dual levels.

5th level 3/3 split,
10th lvl, 6/6 split,
15th lvl, 9/9 split,
20th lvl, 12/12 split,

It will be too much rule heavy. If you make class feature, you will be ask to adjust some spells too.
Too much exception that will be mostly unused.

Most optimizing combo run around paladin, sorcerer and warlock,
Simply disallow mc for those classes.

FrogReaver

It will be too much rule heavy. If you make class feature, you will be ask to adjust some spells too.
Too much exception that will be mostly unused.

Most optimizing combo run around paladin, sorcerer and warlock,
Simply disallow mc for those classes.

The thing with paladin is that the base class is soo good that multiclassing when using it is mostly a matter of flavor over power.

Sorcerer and warlock with eldritch blast seems a potential problem in that you can easily outshine a single classed warlock in almost every aspect at almost every level.

Remove ads