D&D 5E Would you change a monster's hit points mid-fight?

MrZeddaPiras

[insert something clever]
That begs the question: Transparency to what? If you mean the degree of transparency to the "rules", then we are talking about Hard Rules vs. Guidelines.

It's about the DM making very clear to the players what kind of style and level of adherence to the rules he's going to be using. Most DMs that fudge die rolls won't tell you, and that creates problems and mistrust. Like you say, it's all about getting people on the same page.

Incidentally, "rules as guidelines" can mean completely different things: in a loose ruleset, the GM is supposed to make judgment calls to fill the gaps and prevent outcomes that make no sense. Saying that a GM should change things around to shape the narrative because "the rules are guidelines" is not really pertinent, in my opinion, because this matter is really about the style of the game and the social contract between the players.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

As someone else said: holy thread necromancy, Batman!

And I actually don't accept this as an example, no matter what Mr. Allen's character says. Stories are not "lies" even if they do not depict actual facts, as Tolkien said quite eloquently.

This is like saying in a sports game, because the referee can award and remove points, penalize teams, move the players around, and perform a whole slew of other things that break the rules, that the players should be able to do it too. It's just not the case.

Show me even one instance where this occurs not only without the players' knowledge, but intentionally trying to prevent them finding out. Then, you might have an analogy. Otherwise, what you're talking about is completely different, an open and frank assertion that "hey guys, I/you screwed up, and now something has to be done to rectify that."

@jrowland
See, I have two huge issues with the "trust" argument.

First, how can you call it "trust" when people have explicitly said that the DM not only can do these things, but should do them, and lie to the players when the players ask if it was done? That's precisely the opposite of "building trust." That's answering direct, simple questions with falsehoods.

Second, my more fundamental beef isn't even about trust vs. mistrust. It's about making informed decisions, and about enjoying the challenge of a game, rather than a "puzzle" or a pure improv session. I want my choices to matter, and I want my successes to be the consequence of my choices--in addition to my failures being the consequence of my choices. Because that's how you learn: you take in information, create a plan, attempt to execute it, and review the results, which becomes part of the next round of taking in information. If success and failure are primarily a function of what story the DM wants to tell, rather than whether the choices were actually good or bad choices in context*, then I'm not actually playing a game. I'm listening to a story, where I get to extemporaneously provide the lines and actions for one of the characters.

When I make decisions that are "too good" for the story, then the story will prevent those overly-good choices from impinging upon the narrative (for example, if the group executes a plan exceedingly well and I get a lucky crit, felling the BBEG before he gets a chance to speak). When I make decisions that are "too bad" for the story, then the story will prevent those overly-bad decisions from impinging upon the narrative (for example, an enemy gets a lucky crit after I'm already hurting because I decided to attack again instead of heal--except nope, DM says it's a miss).

BOTH of those situations are removing my ability to actually play a game.

*The context is DM-chosen. I freely admit this. However, the fact that it is DM-chosen is irrelevant. Either the context is accessible in some manner to me, through the lens of the character I play, thus allowing me to acquire information and make an informed choice, which will be good or bad based on all of the information including some I could not access even in principle; or the context is not accessible to me, in this case because the context can be rewritten not only without my awareness but specifically so that I won't be aware of it, in which case my choices are fundamentally invalid from the get-go, even if they lead to the goals I sought.

Last edited:

I believe in non-fudging rolls. I lost one group, because some players were expecting me to fudge. In my other group I was actually told not to fudge rolls. So it is a matter of preference and you should maybe just talk with your players how they want to play.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I believe in going with what works for one's group, and have always found that what works for my group (every group I've ever been in, actually, which is a few given that it is 17 distinct groups spread over 15 cities and 8 states) is for me to not fudge anything ever - favoring admitting and learning not to repeat any planning mistakes that I made, rather than actually accept the pretense the DMG at the time stated that to be DM is to be infallible, and that the reason the DM rolls dice is so the players hear them hit the table, not because the numbers showing on their faces actually mean something.

NotActuallyTim

First Post
It started by playing in the G-series, in a party where a few of the guys were egregious min-maxers. After a couple of fights, the DM made some adjustments so that we wouldn't just walk over everything, and it seemed to work. After one session, I asked him about it, and he said he was basically just doubling the monsters' hit points.

My moment came when I realized that, in Fifth Edition terms, there's no mathematical difference between doubling the monsters' hit points and just giving them resistance to all damage. (You might get a rounding issue, but that's minor at best.) The problem is that, not everyone at the table might be min-maxing, and punishing them for the decisions of the other players seemed unfair to me. So at the next session I ran, I basically gave all my monsters an extra ability: "resistance to munchkin damage", where 'munchkin' was defined as 'I think this guy's doing too much damage'.

It worked like a charm -- the fight lasted just long enough to be interesting, and the entire party felt like they were contributing, though they couldn't put their finger on exactly why.

Of course, everyone I talk to immediately wonders how I can be so 'unfair' to the min-maxers at my table, but I think this solution is better than simply providing no fix at all and having boring fights, or punishing everyone by having them all do less effective damage by increasing the monsters' base HP.

I'm going to keep using this system, because it works.

--
Pauper

That actually reminds me. I was going to try doubling the HP of everything, Monsters and PCs alike, next time I ran a campaign. Thanks for talking about this! Glad to hear it worked out.

Second, my more fundamental beef isn't even about trust vs. mistrust. It's about making informed decisions, and about enjoying the challenge of a game, rather than a "puzzle" or a pure improv session. I want my choices to matter, and I want my successes to be the consequence of my choices--in addition to my failures being the consequence of my choices. Because that's how you learn: you take in information, create a plan, attempt to execute it, and review the results, which becomes part of the next round of taking in information. If success and failure are primarily a function of what story the DM wants to tell, rather than whether the choices were actually good or bad choices in context*, then I'm not actually playing a game. I'm listening to a story, where I get to extemporaneously provide the lines and actions for one of the characters.

When I make decisions that are "too good" for the story, then the story will prevent those overly-good choices from impinging upon the narrative (for example, if the group executes a plan exceedingly well and I get a lucky crit, felling the BBEG before he gets a chance to speak). When I make decisions that are "too bad" for the story, then the story will prevent those overly-bad decisions from impinging upon the narrative (for example, an enemy gets a lucky crit after I'm already hurting because I decided to attack again instead of heal--except nope, DM says it's a miss).

BOTH of those situations are removing my ability to actually play a game.

I might add that the same considerations are valid with "simulation" based play (or as I like to call it "exploration"). Fudging only makes sense in story-based play--which is only one type of play.

Miladoon

First Post
Sometimes I ignore rolls and sometimes I roll just to make the players wonder what is going on. Same with a monster's hit points. Sometimes I will give them one hit and sometimes the battle rages on beyond the mechanical.

Look at it this way: Suppose the party is fighting a dragon, and the barbarian rolls a critical, and does a huge amount of damage to the beast. He describes how he leaps from a nearby rock and plunges the sword down into the neck of the beast.... blood is spraying everywhere.... but statistically the dragon still has 1 hp left.

The next turn, someone throws a rock at the dragon it hits and deals 1 damage, thus slaying the dragon.

Why not have the dragon die from the attack the barbarian did? It's an epic moment, and from a story telling point of view, that is when the dragon should have died in my opinion. The remaining 1 hp is irrelevant. I think a DM should give his players their well earned victory, and occasionally fudge the numbers a little.

YMMV apparently. "I killed it with a rock" sounds, to me, like a much better and more interesting war story, because it is so unlikely. Nobody wants to hear about your huge critical, but some people might listen to your story about how the barbarian critted twice for huge damage but didn't kill it, and the dragon was just about to breath fire on the whole party for massive damage... and then Mortimer Lindquist the 1st level wizard saved the day by hitting it with a (nonproficient) rock. Yay Morty!

Last edited:

YMMV apparently. "I killed it with a rock" sounds, to me, like a much better and more interesting war story, because it is so unlikely. Nobody wants to hear about your huge critical, but some people might listen to your story about how the barbarian critted twice for huge damage but didn't kill it, and the dragon was just about to breath fire on the whole party for massive damage... and then Mortimer Lindquist the 1st level wizard saved the day by hitting it with a (nonproficient) rock. Yay Morty!

To me this would undermine the realism of the scene, and it would undermine the threat of the dragon. The Monster Manual gives DM's the freedom to pick within a range of hit points, so I see no problem with changing my mind about the hit point total during combat.

Once in a very hard fight, we had the situation that our wizard was out of spells and all down besides the BBEG and our ranger. The ranger shot the BBEG and left him standing with 2 hp or so. The retaliation downed rhe ranger and the wizard, without weapons threw the lamp he was carrying and could only hit with a 20. And he rolled a 20 in the open. The most awesom ending ever.

Remove ads