Would you play a TTRPG that used Meters instead of Feet?

Would you play a TTRPG that uses Meters instead of Feet for measurement and distance?

• Yes, and I am from the USA

Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Yes, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • No, and I am from the USA

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • No, and I am from outside of the USA

Votes: 3 2.0%

Slit518

Adventurer
Crap, I confused Meters and Yards.

I thought a Meter was 3 feet and a Yard was 3.x feet in length. It turns out it was swapped! :eek:

R_J_K75

Legend
Exactly. I don’t even really notice. If I need to be precise I either do the math or think of meters as yards (eventually distance makes this unworkable, but at play scale it rarely matters).
Yeah it never really caused us any trouble either. We just did a little rounding in combat settings, but estimated farther distance. In more recent years in our RPG games during combat situations I don't even bother worrying about characters or creatures speed or range and just let players move as they want within reason. Only exception is in encounters that pivotal to the outcome of the game, which I'll let the players know that were using the rules speed and range. Obviously, another exception would be something like an encounter with a creature that is significantly quicker than the players such as Quicklings, or a creature with reach.

All this talk of meters vs yards reminds me of an old SNL skit called "Amerida" if IRC. Canada took over America and made them convert to the metric system and Phil Hartman flips out. He says something to the effect of "I want to live in country where I dont have to use a 3 meter pole or punt on third down". It was one of the funnier skits from the late 80s/early 90s. I looked for it on Google but couldn't find it.

After I kill Hitler, this will be my second stop with my time machine.
Just go back to 1790 and remove the last holdout. That's when the US Congress (and Secretary of State Jefferson) got around to fulfilling Constitution Article I, Section 8 of (congress shall “fix the standard of weights and measures”). That's when they decided that everything was already in British units and why spend the money to change things now (what with a new nation and everything)? Given the things purchased and amounts spent around that time, it's clear that it could have been done, if there was a will to find a way.

Same as in the 1970s. It could have happened, but it wasn't high enough of a priority for most people.

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
American archaeologists weirdly enough use metric for almost everything except for historic structure measurements. Our reports though still provide both metric and imperial. At almost two decades of working, I can say I can "see" 15-, 30-, 50-, and 100-meter distances.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
I'm from Canada, but I'm used to whatever strange mix we use here.

The experience is not the same for every Canadian (big country), but in my thick of the woods...
  • I measure 6 foot and 1 inch.
  • Anything construction related is in foot and inches.
  • I buy a two litres of soft liquor at the store.
  • And a gallon of milk.
  • You drive a few kilometers, but you see something coming from a mile away.
  • When it's cold during the winter, it's -30 degrees celcius.
  • It's universally known that the human body is at around 37.5 degrees celcius, but if you're over 100 fahrenheit you might have a fever!
  • But I put my oven at 350 fahrenheit.
  • My sister just had her baby. A seven pounds healthy boy.
  • My new refregirator was hard to move around, it weighted almost 250 kilograms.
  • Don't speed when you drive, remember you're in a two tons machine!

I've got a solid understanding of what a foot is because we also use that. But I've got no idea what a yard is.

Remove ads