D&D 5E Would you play D&D if you knew there would be no combat?

Would you play D&D if there was no combat?

pemerton

Legend
can you use an engine that is not d&d to play d&d
I think the answer to this is yes, at least for a certain understanding of D&D.

I've used Rolemaster to play games that, in their basic tropes - both PCs and setting - were D&D-like. Though the action had a different feel from D&D, because of the different resolution mechanics.

I believe that Tunnels & Trolls could be used to play a game similar to something like B2 Keep on the Borderlands, though my personal T&T experience is pretty minimal.

Li Shenron

Legend
Prompted by another thread; if you were involved in a new D&D game and were aware up front it would NOT be a combat heavy game, or hardly any combat at all, but rather exploration and mystery and horror, would you still play? Assume you do not know the DM and he is not a friend, this is all 100% new.

Yes, no problem.

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
I wanted to vote, but i can't choose between the options. You see, the PHB's rules are mostly combat because it assumes the setting is Forgotten Realms, it assumes the players are adventurers. These are the 2 big assumptions that make up the rules.

If no combat means i am playing Jon the apple picker in a world where Vecna is on the verge of world domination, then no, i would not play.

This kind of question is the same as asking 'Would you play in a 0 magic campaign?' The answer is always the same: Depends on the setting and houserules. From there, you can tell what are the assumptions of the DM.

Using D&D to run a non-combat game is quite simply using the wrong tool for the job. It might still be a good game depending on the skill of the participants, but the system would do very little to support the game.

This is true but I'd be okay with it personally. Half the most fun RPG experiences I've had were with arguably wrong tool games.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Almost certainly you were dealing with a DM that tried to improvise everything, often under the bad excuse that they are expecting the PC's to improvise everything.

You aren't for example diplomats negotiating for the surrender of the town so that a large army outside won't have to sack it, or investigators trying to discover how a man was murdered inside a locked room barred from the inside, or fleeing from a tsunami as it gobbles up a city, etc. Those are scenarios in a low combat RPG. Ordering breakfast can be a compelling scene, and I do recall one very memorable game of Chill that turned on me RPing out the act of ordering breakfast, but it was memorable only because it was part of a larger storyline. It's not story in and of itself.

It's often an improvising DM as you say or a DM who is under the belief that they can't make stuff happen to cause the situation to become dramatic. This is how you end up with a minute-by-minute play through of the adventurers' day, only there's no adventure. I've watched Twitch streams that do this. Not entertaining, but enlightening.

A DM who improvises everything though can, in fact, create an amazing game on the fly given improvisational skills. But few possess them in my experience and the system isn't exactly the best for that sort of play compared to other games.

Oofta

Legend
It's often an improvising DM as you say or a DM who is under the belief that they can't make stuff happen to cause the situation to become dramatic. This is how you end up with a minute-by-minute play through of the adventurers' day, only there's no adventure. I've watched Twitch streams that do this. Not entertaining, but enlightening.

A DM who improvises everything though can, in fact, create an amazing game on the fly given improvisational skills. But few possess them in my experience and the system isn't exactly the best for that sort of play compared to other games.

I do very heavy RP games, it's never just "going shopping". Unless of course there's a reason to play out the shopping trip like the PC's nemesis is spreading false rumors and the PC is forced to resort to the shadier part of town to get supplies. Improv is not easy, but it's a skill you can improve on over time. I find it helps to have high level notes of organizations, conflicts, who's who along with a list of random names.

But it depends on what people enjoy. When I started up a new group I was up front about it being RP heavy, if the only thing you find fun at the table is combat then I'm probably not the right DM for you. Which is fine.

On the other hand, a game with absolutely no combat would also be ignoring half the game (even if it's only 1/4 to 1/3 the time in most sessions) and I wouldn't enjoy it.

Celebrim

Legend

Ugh. I admit I have ran that game before, but for 5 year old players playing make believe who did not want monsters and other scary stuff harshing up their imagined play day. It's the equivalent of "The Pokey Little Puppy: The RPG".

I improvise stuff in every session I play. At the same time, I'm not sure I've ever improvised anything. Yes, no amount of preparation is ever complete, and you never know what the players are going to do. Invariably you'll have to make stuff up. But even when I'm improvising, what I'm doing is actually leveraging other sorts of preparation. I'm leveraging all the reading in history I've done to create color on the fly. I'm leveraging all the past games I've ran to take bits and pieces from other games and reshaping them to fit this one. I'm leveraging the world building I've put into the setting to fill in the blank spaces in the map. I'm leveraging even say a random table to help spur my imagination. Stories and scenarios don't just leap from my head full formed like Athena arrayed for battle. They are coming as it were out of a sketch book of half-baked ideas that suddenly are now needed.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Ugh. I admit I have ran that game before, but for 5 year old players playing make believe who did not want monsters and other scary stuff harshing up their imagined play day. It's the equivalent of "The Pokey Little Puppy: The RPG".

I don't know any DM who hasn't run this sort of game including myself. But, for my part, not anymore.

I improvise stuff in every session I play. At the same time, I'm not sure I've ever improvised anything. Yes, no amount of preparation is ever complete, and you never know what the players are going to do. Invariably you'll have to make stuff up. But even when I'm improvising, what I'm doing is actually leveraging other sorts of preparation. I'm leveraging all the reading in history I've done to create color on the fly. I'm leveraging all the past games I've ran to take bits and pieces from other games and reshaping them to fit this one. I'm leveraging the world building I've put into the setting to fill in the blank spaces in the map. I'm leveraging even say a random table to help spur my imagination. Stories and scenarios don't just leap from my head full formed like Athena arrayed for battle. They are coming as it were out of a sketch book of half-baked ideas that suddenly are now needed.

I improvise too, of course. We all do. The part where I see a lot of DMs fail is when they don't know how to interject conflict into a non-combat scene such that there are now stakes that people care about and that bring the scene to life. One doesn't need a campaign where the streets run red with blood to make a dramatic game - that's just the easiest way to make it happen in D&D. Other scenes can be rife with drama if the DM knows how and when to do it. But most in my experience do not and so it's ordering breakfast, shopping, and interviewing quirky, cagey NPCs all the way down.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
can you use the engine of d&d to not play d&d

Mutants and Masterminds. So, yes. Mind you, that is a havily modified engine. But also mind that most every homebrewer modifies the engine somewhat....

can you use an engine that is not d&d to play d&d

The last time I played Old School Hack... it felt pretty much like D&D to me. So, I'd say probably yes.

what is the distinction? Are some people just using the words d&d to describe any rpg?

For the second, probably not. "D&D" is not being used as "Kleenex" here.

I think the ambiguity of language is a useful thing. There is "Playing D&D" - using a ruleset published by an appropriate copyright holder as D&D. Then there's "playing D&D", which is playing a game that has enough of the traits of D&D as to feel as if it is in the same sub-genre as D&D itself.

And, much of the issue is right in that word - sub-genre. Folks like sharp lines on their definitions, but genres aren't like that. If you have enough of the tropes (which include, but are not limited to, the published mechanics) then you're in the genre. Genres are defined by inclusion, rather than exclusion.

is asking these questions gatekeeping?

Asking questions when you don't have a presupposed answer is not gatekeeping.

Remove ads