• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • With changes (noted below)

Votes: 6 20.7%

Stormonu

Legend
Just a quick update. I had recently bought a notebook at my FLGS, that seemed appropriate to write this down in.

Been thinking more on the races aspect of this, and tentatively have come up with this:

Human (the default race, came to the world from afar)
Dragonwracked (Dragonborn, humans who have been mutated by magic; they can burn HD to prevent magical consequences)
Goliaths (Giant-blooded, they are prone to use magic without caring about the consequences)
Dwarves (They are the original inhabitants of the world, most consume a magical metal that prevents them from casting magic and provides some protection from it affecting them)
Tauren (Minotaurs; unclear if they are a distinct race or once human; they deal with demons [Baphomet] to use magic freely without being affected by its consequences)

This opens/adds a couple class options supported, primarily if the group wants to play as anti-heroes. The curated list is below, others would be available to be worked out between DM & players
Barbarian
  • Path of the Ancestral Guardian (Dwarf?, Goliath, Tauren)
  • Path of the Beast (Tauren)
  • Path of the Berserker
  • Path of the Storm Herald (Goliath)
  • Path of the Totem Warrior
  • Path of Wild Magic (Dragonwracked, Goliath)
  • Path of the Zealot
Fighter
  • Battlemaster
  • Cavalier
  • Champion
  • Eldritch Knight (Dragonwracked, Goliath, Tauren)
  • Rune Knight (Goliath)
  • Samurai
  • Gunslinger (Dwarf, Human)

Monk
  • Way of Mercy
  • Way of the Drunken Master
  • Way of the Four Elements (Dragonwracked, Tauren)
  • Way of the Kensai
  • Way of the Open Hand
  • Way of Shadow (Tauren)

Ranger (can take Combat Maneuvers instead of spells)
  • Beastmaster
  • Gloomstalker (Dwarf)
  • Hunter
  • Monster Slayer
Rogue
  • Assassin
  • Inquisitive
  • Mastermind
  • Scout
  • Swashbuckler
  • Thief

Sorcerer
  • Draconic Bloodline (Dragonwracked, Human, Tauren)
  • Storm Sorcery (Goliath)
  • Wild Mage (Dragonwracked, Human, Tauren)

Warlock
  • Fiend patron (Human, Tauren)
  • Hexblade (Dragonwracked, Human, Tauren)

Wizard
  • Bush Mage (trade 4th+ spells for 1st-3rd level spells) (Human)
  • Renegade
<Edit: Missed some classes>

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think the addition of the races makes the setting gless interesting to me, personally. I much preferred how it was "humanity against the world" before.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Imagine a campaign:

Most of humanity lives on a massive island chain that is the remnants of an ancient Wizardly empire. Pirates, bestial monsters, deadly bursts of magical weather and general survival are the issues of the day among the island-states.

Among the common island trade slip the Black Canoes. These war canoes are filled with heroes recruited from the various islands to fight the foes of humanity. The characters are members of one of the Black Canoes.

You can't play non-human races; they are the enemy or their goals are too mysterious to otherwise allow them to be playable. Your job is hunt down and slay the various enemies to the island chain inhabitants - mostly the vile monsters that prey on the islanders, and the dragons they spawn from. Worst of all, its all the fault of magic - when one casts a spell it either causes a dragon to spawn a new horror, or if enough magic is cast, spawn a new dragon.

How will you save a world whose magic must be destroyed?
as has already been said, restricting both everything other than human and magic goes a little overboard on the curation, personally i would allow the halfcasters as weaker casters and specifically the druid and sorcerer as 'natural' ones,
on my suggestion for curated species i would lean heavily into the unique island themes of the setting for some uncommon species, my 6 would be:
humans
lizardfolk
grung
goblin/hobgoblin (yes i know these are different species but i like the 'hobgoblins are just adult goblins' idea)
air genasi
aarakocra

Zardnaar

Legend
Just a quick update. I had recently bought a notebook at my FLGS, that seemed appropriate to write this down in.

Been thinking more on the races aspect of this, and tentatively have come up with this:

Human (the default race, came to the world from afar)
Dragonwracked (Dragonborn, humans who have been mutated by magic; they can burn HD to prevent magical consequences)
Goliaths (Giant-blooded, they are prone to use magic without caring about the consequences)
Dwarves (They are the original inhabitants of the world, most consume a magical metal that prevents them from casting magic and provides some protection from it affecting them)
Tauren (Minotaurs; unclear if they are a distinct race or once human; they deal with demons [Baphomet] to use magic freely without being affected by its consequences)

This opens/adds a couple class options supported, primarily if the group wants to play as anti-heroes. The curated list is below, others would be available to be worked out between DM & players
Barbarian
  • Path of the Ancestral Guardian (Dwarf?, Goliath, Tauren)
  • Path of the Beast (Tauren)
  • Path of the Berserker
  • Path of the Storm Herald (Goliath)
  • Path of the Totem Warrior
  • Path of Wild Magic (Dragonwracked, Goliath)
  • Path of the Zealot
Fighter
  • Battlemaster
  • Cavalier
  • Champion
  • Eldritch Knight (Dragonwracked, Goliath, Tauren)
  • Rune Knight (Goliath)
  • Samurai
  • Gunslinger (Dwarf, Human)

Monk
  • Way of Mercy
  • Way of the Drunken Master
  • Way of the Four Elements (Dragonwracked, Tauren)
  • Way of the Kensai
  • Way of the Open Hand
  • Way of Shadow (Tauren)

Ranger (can take Combat Maneuvers instead of spells)
  • Beastmaster
  • Gloomstalker (Dwarf)
  • Hunter
  • Monster Slayer
Rogue
  • Assassin
  • Inquisitive
  • Mastermind
  • Scout
  • Swashbuckler
  • Thief

Sorcerer
  • Draconic Bloodline (Dragonwracked, Human, Tauren)
  • Storm Sorcery (Goliath)
  • Wild Mage (Dragonwracked, Human, Tauren)

Warlock
  • Fiend patron (Human, Tauren)
  • Hexblade (Dragonwracked, Human, Tauren)

Wizard
  • Bush Mage (trade 4th+ spells for 1st-3rd level spells) (Human)
  • Renegade
<Edit: Missed some classes>

Alot more appealing personally. Still not my jam as such but looks good o7.

Zardnaar

Legend
as has already been said, restricting both everything other than human and magic goes a little overboard on the curation, personally i would allow the halfcasters as weaker casters and specifically the druid and sorcerer as 'natural' ones,
on my suggestion for curated species i would lean heavily into the unique island themes of the setting for some uncommon species, my 6 would be:
humans
lizardfolk
grung
goblin/hobgoblin (yes i know these are different species but i like the 'hobgoblins are just adult goblins' idea)
air genasi
aarakocra

Half casters are not bad idea. I dint think I would ban full casters myself but there might be severe consequences mechanical or in game for being one. If you're not an aberrant mind subtle spell sorcerer type you're gonna have a bad time.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think the addition of the races makes the setting gless interesting to me, personally. I much preferred how it was "humanity against the world" before.

Can't please everyone lol. Stormanu should cater it more towards whoever they're running it for or interests them the most.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well yeah, obviously they should. But I thought the initial premise was better and gave a reason why.

Fair enuf. I don't mind restrictions myself but 1 is a little bit to restrictive. Ymmv as always (and as always blame the French).

Last edited:

Remove ads