D&D 5E Would You Play This - "Dragons Must Die"

Would you play this?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • With changes (noted below)

Votes: 6 20.7%

I strongly prefer full spellcasters (and warlocks) so I would hard pass. Something would have to be done to make spellcasting more permissible. The restriction that only spells of 4th level or higher spawn monsters I could probably live with. Or, as previously mentioned, the Dark Sun style preserver/deflier split.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like some others, I don't think D&D is a great fit for a "no magic for PCs" game, at least with the classes available in the core rules, as written.

Zardnaar

Legend
Like some others, I don't think D&D is a great fit for a "no magic for PCs" game, at least with the classes available in the core rules, as written.

This pretty much.

2E was the last edition to attempt it in any serious way as optional rules eg Darksun or Spells and Magic book. Darksun wasn't low magic as such more pay the price.

I kinda tried in 3E. Basically spellcasters got purged and you couldn't start as one but could multiclass into them after level 2.

If you did the thing that purged them was still out there.

5E I don't think I would even bother trying.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I don't even think that the reduction/removal of spellcasters would make it difficult for this to be run in 5e, you don't really need spellcasters in your party. Instead play a barbarian, fighter, rogue, or monk and hunt down spellcasters at the same time as you hunt down monsters.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't even think that the reduction/removal of spellcasters would make it difficult for this to be run in 5e, you don't really need spellcasters in your party. Instead play a barbarian, fighter, rogue, or monk and hunt down spellcasters at the same time as you hunt down monsters.

It cuts out a huge amount of classes though.

Even a chunk of the traditionally non magic classes have magic options.

Anyone remember the spheres magic in 2E Mystara? Basically certain spells would overload the radiance and cause it to explode ending magic. One day a year magic didn’t work.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It cuts out a huge amount of classes though.

Even a chunk of the traditionally non magic classes have magic options.

Anyone remember the spheres magic in 2E Mystara? Basically certain spells would overload the radiance and cause it to explode ending magic. One day a year magic didn’t work.
They might have magic options, but you just don't use those options. Don't pick the eldritch knight class if you're a fighter, for instance.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My issues as a player are the following.

1. Being members of Black Canoes. I'm not a fan of being part of the "army" as it often in my experience ends up being, "You are ordered to go to X and do Y." There's not a lot of leeway for what the players want to do. If the players were free agent adventurers engaging in monster hunting because it's lucrative and/or they are trying to help, that would be different.

2. Even though I love humans and play one 90% of the time, I'm not a fan of human only campaigns. Elves, dwarves, half-elves, halflings, etc. are close enough to human that they would likely not be monsters.

3. The magic limitation.

All three of those shoe horn the party into more and more narrow options. "You have to be a human, non-magic class and subclass that is a member of the Black Canoes."

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The spell thieves idea could underpin a whole pbta or fitd game, or a D&D class I guess.

To cast spells you have to hunt things that shouldn’t exist and distill something from them.

Maybe you can use your own life force but it’s dangerous, and if you just pull the power from the air you will spawn more monsters.

Zardnaar

Legend
They might have magic options, but you just don't use those options. Don't pick the eldritch knight class if you're a fighter, for instance.

DM kinda has to specifically ban those classes though.

Think something like 75% of the archetypes in phb have magic involved.

2 fighters, 1 monk, 1 or 2 rogues, 1 barbarian maybe 2 that's about it iirc.

I don't mind curated uses as such but that's very small espicially with humans only.

Remove ads