• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • With changes (noted below)

Votes: 6 20.7%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
DM kinda has to specifically ban those classes though.

Think something like 75% of the archetypes in phb have magic involved.

2 fighters, 1 monk, 1 or 2 rogues, 1 barbarian maybe 2 that's about it iirc.

I don't mind curated uses as such but that's very small espicially with humans only.
I'm glad you corrected that. I was about to ask what you were trying to say. It was an interesting autocorrect. :)

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
DM kinda has to specifically ban those classes though.

Think something like 75% of the archetypes in phb have magic involved.

2 fighters, 1 monk, 1 or 2 rogues, 1 barbarian maybe 2 that's about it iirc.

I don't mind curated uses as such but that's very small espicially with humans only.
I think that number is fine, it's also likely that more than just the phb will be used so that'll expand the number of subclasses. I know there are many that want all, or even just most, of the options but I don't think it's necessary, particularly if you're trying for a specific feel.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Side note, it sounds from the OP that it was wizardry that caused the issue, if you assume arcane only then that opens up clerics, druids, rangers, and paladins as options.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think that number is fine, it's also likely that more than just the phb will be used so that'll expand the number of subclasses. I know there are many that want all, or even just most, of the options but I don't think it's necessary, particularly if you're trying for a specific feel.

Perhaps. IAs I said I don't mind curated lists or whatever.

Personally I would be more like some global effect eg all spells cast roll on wild surge table or have magic switch off locally or something.

Or in game reasons cast a spell in public get targeted by assassins or whatever.

Basically add a subsystem eg defil8ng in Darksun.

As always ymmv that's just me. Probably about 8 classes and 6 races is about my minimum I prefer.

DMs can do what they want as always but the question was would you play.

A mono class campaign would be more interesting over mono race.

Stormonu

Legend
Side note, it sounds from the OP that it was wizardry that caused the issue, if you assume arcane only then that opens up clerics, druids, rangers, and paladins as options.
That could be an option - possibly Warlocks as well, since their magic comes from a patron. I'd like to get opinions on that.

As for races, another possibility might be human only, but allow for magical mutations that have occurred - halflings that are actually humans with unusual luck and stunted growth, elves are descendants of arcane casters who have been "bent" by their proximity to magic. Perhaps dragonborn are even humans who are being (painfully) morphed into dragons by magical mutation. These "races" however, would have stigmas and possibly drawbacks attached to them.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
No. But it's because I love dragons and non-human character races, not because I don't like the underlying premise (a world where some supernatural force is The Enemy that must be eliminated.)

This thread isn't about WotC.... Or DnD....
Actually, you'll find if you look at the title, it has next to it the bright yellow tag with "D&D 5E" in black letters. So I think it is pretty specifically about 5e, and thus D&D and WotC.

Remove ads