• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Would you use Fire Archons in 3.5?

NilesB

First Post
As found here.

They look pretty usable to me providing that you recast their origins. Who might have created the race in your campaign?

As a fan of Darksun- oh yeah!

Back in the 2e days I had decided already that many elementals had intelligence and some sort of society. It appears 4e is going that route seeing at all the elementals are humanoid in shape and holding weapons.

Stormtower

First Post
I'll use the Fire Archon right alongside my Hound Archons. If I'm given a mini and a 3.5 statblock for a critter, I will probably find a way to use it. I've enjoyed the late-3.5 monsters in MM4 and MM5, and this guy (the Fire Archon) seems to be from the same design school.

Arnwyn

First Post
No. 4e flavor sucks.
(To me)

Though if I needed some brand new generic fire elemental-like stat blocks for some reason, I might find some use for said stat blocks... assuming I even remembered their existence and where to find them...

Greg K

Legend
On first glance, most likely not. If I were to do so, my first step would be to remove the ability that triggers at 50% hp- I despise the mechanic of abilities automatically triggering at 50% hp.

Lord Zack

Explorer
Actually, it's quite possible. One of enemy organizations is a religious organization devoted to Pyremius, one of whose porfolio elements is fire. The cult's tactics are based around assassination primarily, but they might send some Fire "Archons" after the players, or have them guarding they're temples.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
NilesB said:
As found here.

They look pretty usable to me providing that you recast their origins. Who might have created the race in your campaign?

While this may be one case where 3.5 kills 4e and takes it stuff, no.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads