D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything gets the Shadow Sorcerer

gyor

Legend
When I found out about the Shadow Sorceror I was worried so I tweeted him and this what happened!

"Wait does this mean the favoured soul isn't in?"

Mike Mearls @mikemearls·

4 Oct

"There are more videos to come!"

I'm taking this as confirmation that the Favoured Soul is in.

JPL

Adventurer
Actually, here's two more riffs on the stone sorcerer crunch:

1. You are the reincarnation / spiritual descendant / actual descendant / host body of a great warrior. You may not have the physical gifts of some fighters (having pumped up that Charisma stat), but you literally have a warrior's spirit, making you a natural leader who can instinctively wield any weapon like a professional and can channel strange magics through your sword. Great angle for an unlikely hero --- the local scribe's apprentice or baker boy finds out he is the heir to Kogarth the Unyielding.

2. Marry this to the Inheritor background --- you inherited a magic sword. Its magic will increase over time (does 5E do scaling magic items yet?), but it's also awakening your own powers. Could be another unlikely-hero-call-to-adventure kinda guy, or it could be a Stormbringer-type curse --- you are gaining in power by killing.

lkj

Hero
When I found out about the Shadow Sorceror I was worried so I tweeted him and this what happened!

"Wait does this mean the favoured soul isn't in?"

Mike Mearls @mikemearls·

4 Oct

"There are more videos to come!"

I'm taking this as confirmation that the Favoured Soul is in.

Seems like he pretty much confirmed it in the video for the Arcane Archer today. Said something like "What was the Favored Soul, but is now the Divine Soul sorcerer . . ."

AD

gyor

Legend
Actually, here's two more riffs on the stone sorcerer crunch:

1. You are the reincarnation / spiritual descendant / actual descendant / host body of a great warrior. You may not have the physical gifts of some fighters (having pumped up that Charisma stat), but you literally have a warrior's spirit, making you a natural leader who can instinctively wield any weapon like a professional and can channel strange magics through your sword. Great angle for an unlikely hero --- the local scribe's apprentice or baker boy finds out he is the heir to Kogarth the Unyielding.

2. Marry this to the Inheritor background --- you inherited a magic sword. Its magic will increase over time (does 5E do scaling magic items yet?), but it's also awakening your own powers. Could be another unlikely-hero-call-to-adventure kinda guy, or it could be a Stormbringer-type curse --- you are gaining in power by killing.

Number 2. Is too close to the Hexblades fluff.

I had the weird idea they could combine the Phoenix, Sea, and Stone sorceror into one subclass by calling it the mythic origin, where the sorceror is descended from mythic creatures or their servants, with three possible creatures as a subchoice, Phoenix, Kraken, Bullette (Landshark). Use the Stone sorcoror's gishiness as the base, but give each mythic creature its own twists.

Remove ads