Xanathar's Guide to Everything's Samurai Subclass

I really didn't think the Samurai would make it, it felt mechanically redundant with the Knight, plus they already had two fighter archetypes, the Arcane Archer and the Cavalier. I'm curious as to what it's final mechanics look like.

I really didn't think the Samurai would make it, it felt mechanically redundant with the Knight, plus they already had two fighter archetypes, the Arcane Archer and the Cavalier.

I'm curious as to what it's final mechanics look like.

Alexemplar

First Post
Yet, I am still not required to unlearn anything as I, personally, already have the knowledge of what I want conceptually. New players coming into my game...well, that may or not be a different issue. ;)

"Unlearn" doesn't mean you literally cease to have previous knowledge of what you knew. We all know what we consider a cleric/bard/druid/etc when we're talking about it ro other people outside the context of D&D.

It refers to coming into contact with new ideas/concepts that expand upon or clash with what you knew before as it applies in the given context. I.e. we know that when discussing the PHB cleric/bard/druid/etc that we are referring to a different conceptual beast.

That you dislike these interpretations and run things differently in the games you run doesnt change that. We're still starting from the same reference point that is uniquely D&D- that had to be learned because D&D has its own idiosyncratic take on lots of stuff.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Battlemaster and Champion are far too broad for what subclasses are meant to be. Yes you can play them as almost anything but they will not have the flavour of that thing let alone compared to something specifically designed for that flavour. I am not alone in feeling this way, the devs have said this and have received feedback saying that as well. It seems that any fighter subclass homebrew or UA has to started with I don't want to hear about BM or Champ.

Pretty sure we are on the same page here :) Well said and yes, I had to repeat that last phrase sev times when asking ppl to have a look at my homebrews. :(

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I did not realise that Samurais were so big into horses to be confused with a Cavalier.
The samurai were *really* into horses until the common usage of firearms during the late Sengoku era (at which point they used horses to get to the battle, but not on the battlefield—they didn't want their horses to get shot, and they were easy targets). Prior to that, samurai were all about mounted warfare.

So, heavily armored mounted warrior of the noble class... cavalier... easy comparison (especially after the early Kamakura period when the start transitioning from bows to melee weapons).

Greg K

Legend
I would be interested in looking at your homebrews.

Connor has some good stuff on his site. I like the new skill proficiencies and the breakdown of games, instruments, vehicles, and weapon groups. There are some nice additions to the lists (while I am thinking of it, [MENTION=19265]Connorsrpg[/MENTION], the weapon groups link on the proficiencies page is broken).

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Connor has some good stuff on his site. I like the new skill proficiencies and the breakdown of games, instruments, vehicles, and weapon groups. There are some nice additions to the lists (while I am thinking of it, [MENTION=19265]Connorsrpg[/MENTION], the weapon groups link on the proficiencies page is broken).

Ah, it would be. Our weapon groups page is now for ALL systems. On website, look at right hand nav bar. Each page sorted by system, but many are for ALL systems (at the top). Thanks, though, will change link :)

(I haven't written much for 5E for a while. most of what I have was done a while ago. Been doing stuff for other systems, but it appears we are starting a new 5E game soon, so i may be adding more ;) If you see anything else i should submit to En5ider plz give me a hoy :)).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads