D&D General Xanthian native building?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Well, human of course and use the variant feat for a spell-related feat such as ritual caster or spell sniper to represent their talent.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Personally I'd build them in FATE or Fate Accelerated, with their talent as a Aspect with a Stunt.

In 5e it's harder because the talents are all over the place in power. And IIRC (it's been decades since I last read Xanth) many of the classes don't fit.

MarkB

Legend
You could use the same approach as Dragonmarks in Eberron - the Talent is a variant subrace, and you can take feats later on to boost its power level. But that isn't going to come close to covering the widely varying types and power levels of Talents.

GreyLord

Legend
It won't be as imaginative as Xanth, but as others have mentioned...use the human for most of them (obviously, if they are a centaur...don't use humans as the race...etc).

I'd then roll on 1d10. On a roll 1-9 that's the level of spell they get. If they roll a 0...they are out of luck...sorry...better luck next time. They get a free feat for their magic ability.

I'd then have them roll a 1d4 to determine which spell list they get their talent from. 1=bard 2=cleric 3=wizard 4=warlock

I'd then number a table with percentages 01-00 and assign a percentage to each spell of each level. They roll on that table to see which spell is their talent. How often they can use it depends on how magical a campaign you are running.

For High magic they can use that spell anytime they wish as their talent.

For lower magic, they can cast it once every long rest.

There probably won't be any balance between characters with this type of creation though...but in Xanth magical talents vary widely between characters anyways.

abe ray

Explorer
It won't be as imaginative as Xanth, but as others have mentioned...use the human for most of them (obviously, if they are a centaur...don't use humans as the race...etc).

I'd then roll on 1d10. On a roll 1-9 that's the level of spell they get. If they roll a 0...they are out of luck...sorry...better luck next time. They get a free feat for their magic ability.

I'd then have them roll a 1d4 to determine which spell list they get their talent from. 1=bard 2=cleric 3=wizard 4=warlock

I'd then number a table with percentages 01-00 and assign a percentage to each spell of each level. They roll on that table to see which spell is their talent. How often they can use it depends on how magical a campaign you are running.

For High magic they can use that spell anytime they wish as their talent.

For lower magic, they can cast it once every long rest.

There probably won't be any balance between characters with this type of creation though...but in Xanth magical talents vary widely between characters anyways.

Nice! Now how would we handle the non-human xanthian natives? I figured that for ogres at least, a conditional super strength:with the condition being a HIGH concentration of magical energy?

GreyLord

Legend
Nice! Now how would we handle the non-human xanthian natives? I figured that for ogres at least, a conditional super strength:with the condition being a HIGH concentration of magical energy?

Well, that would depend on what they were. It's as varied as...the Monster Manual. I'd probably just stat them up as per the bonuses that are given in various manuals if they are available. If they aren't (Such as the aforementioned Ogre)...that's more of a DM's call.

For example, with an Ogre, I'd probably have it that they would get a +4 to STR and CON with the PC needing at least a minimum of +19 in STR. However, I'd ALSO remove restrictions on certain ability scores for certain creatures (for example, the Ogre, I might say that 24 is the limit on STR and CON rather than what 20 normally is...for example).

Remove ads