• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP Cost to use a Magical Item

diaglo

Adventurer
i agree with Merric.

but i'd also add an element of knowing the item (did they identify the item/ detect the type of magic used to create it) and/or a skill check (use magic device style).

a total failure causing problems like with a horn of blasting. but based on the readable (by detect magic) strength of magic contained within.

i think it will help reduce the reliance on magic items...since they have such a high cost (xp and gp value) as well as the cost of misuse (boom...it's gone)

pdkoning

First Post
I liked the way an intelligent sword in NWN-HOTU (CRPG) worked. It drained your CON. without draining CON it was a +2 weapon. it -2 CON for any addinional +1 of the weapon. This was temporary however, when you throwed the sword away, the CON penalty was gone.

I prefer temporary draining over xp draining.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Hmmm,

I was thinking of using the negative levels as a "temporary" life force expenditure instead of using XP as a more permanent method (assuming no chance of those negative levels becoming permanent).

Quirthanon

First Post
I don't agree with an xp cost. What kind of idiot magic user would make an item, that he already spent xp to make, cost more xp? Even if he was making it for someone else, don't you think that the customer would likely be upset?

Do you really need another way to limit magic use? If the players have to much take it away of have a wild magic flux that makes it undependable, say it works 50% of the time or less.

I've got characters in my campaign that won't even consider making 1st level scrolls because, they don't want to lose the xp.

There are better ways to limit magic item use than draining a characters hard earned xp.

Thyrwyn

Explorer
Actually, I think this would be great way to limit magic item use. The biggest problem with charged items is that they go away.

An item that charges xp would not:

in terms of party resources, the penalty for squandering a charge/use is lessened.

in terms of character, the choice to use such an item is much more visceral - "is it really worth it to use this now?"

in terms of scripting, the dm 's ability to prep encounters is greatly improved - they know that the party will have capability x (as opposed to the party might have capability x).

Zappo

Explorer
Quirthanon, most limitations on magical items either make the unreliable (as you suggest) or are uncontrollable by the PCs. This limitation keeps the item reliable and is under the PCs' control. These two proprieties may be desirable in many circumstances.

Anyway, it's not like there's someone pointing a gun to the PC's head and telling him to activate the item, you know?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm in with Kamosa. If you are trying to limit magic item use, make found magic very rare and don't allow the purchase of magic items. Don't give them magic items that can be used over and over. Give them one shots sparingly. Give them wands with only two charges left in it. And if you are really trying to discourage magic item use, jack up the costs of making your own items.

Would this XP cost apply to magic weapons and armor? An XP cost each time you swing it? What about continuously active items like Bracers of Defense? Continuous drain?

What would be the logic behind this? Does the XP power the item? The creator already put XP into it, why does it need more? Should cast spells then need XP to power them?

The other problem with this is the potential DM abuse of it. Since NPCs are often one shot and care little about using XP, they use their Rings of Blinking (or whatever) with no qualms, but the PC, not wanting to lose precious XP is hesitant - advantage NPCs.

Sounds to me like a way to nerf players who are messing up a DMs plans through creative use of magic items.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads