• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP Cost to use a Magical Item

Goblyn

Explorer
Beholder Bob said:
Also - what about a standard item - but with exp burn to boost it? A wand of magic missiles - but for 10*(Caster LV) exp and 2 extra charges, it is maximized that round?
B:]B

I thought that this was the original poster's intent. Of course, if I'm going to burn XP and extra charges, I want a worthwhile effect. Maybe for that cost(10x(caster lvl) XP and 2 extra charges that wand throws 3d6 damage missiles or something like that.

I like the idea of ability damage more than XP expenditure, and that goes for spells that already cost XP now as well. Spending XPs just sounds like it will lead to too much metagaming. Does your wizard with 10,000 xps KNOW that he has 10,000 xps? If he loses 100 xp fueling some item, what does that feel like exactly? And if the player knows he can burn 100 xp to more easily kill something that will grant him a 1000 xp at the end of the adventure, what player in his right mind isn't going to do that?

Whereas, you burn a point or two of CON to power something and you will instantly feel the penalty, and this also leads to some DM fun with descriptions. Some hit points are gone. You feel ill. You vomit. Numbness sweeps over your body. Maybe an old injury flares up, or old scars start to bleed.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Are you going to charge for casting spells? If not you will be doubly hosing the non-spell casters. They already have to pay gold to operate at high levels, now your charging them xp too?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads