D&D 5E XP For NPCs With Class Levels

There might be some insight in one of the bestiaries. My recollection is that the Slavelords bestiary has a number of humanoids with levels and assigned XP scores. My suggestion would be to go through those and see if you can discern a formula (or a way of hitting the ballpark).

AD
Problem with this, is they seemed to drastically change the XP in the very last packet, and a lot of the bestiaries for the older adventures weren't updated.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Problem with this, is they seemed to drastically change the XP in the very last packet, and a lot of the bestiaries for the older adventures weren't updated.
The XP scale has not changed since the December 2012 packet.

Class leveled NPCs in the adventure bestiaries use an average encounter budget for one character of that level, adjusted up or down based on how tough of an encounter it'll actually be.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I've seen NPCs gain XP in classes at the same rate as PCs. But I've also seen them gain XP at 50% rate, which may be justified due to their inability to innovate. Regardless, monsters with class levels are measured without reference to the divide. I mean, treat the monster + class design as a unified challenge based upon all its statistics and derive an XP rating from that. I'd playtest it too though.

Remove ads