• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

XP or EP?

XP or EP?

• XP

Votes: 250 98.0%
  • EP

Votes: 5 2.0%

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
It has nothing to do with age, everyone's just a better spell than you. ;)
Dog Moon said:
E.P. is initially correct, but X.P. is an abbreviated way of saying it. EX-perience. EX=X [well, when sounding them out]. XP.
[In math, 'e' is often used for the identity, which in multiplication, would mean that EX=X.]

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
reanjr said:
I call them AP (advancement points), but hey...

I have a player who calls them Eeps, which is horribly annoying. Apparently this nomenclature is popular among the regional RPGA. Just another reason to not get involved in organized gaming.
You broke the poll.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I voted Eeps. We called them that back before 2nd edition. I'm not sure why, but it seems like a 1st edition thing to me. My husband agrees with me. Eeps all the way back. I remember having to force myself to learn XP and it still seems odd. As does Thaco, and other 2nd editionisms...

Malanath

Explorer
I've always called it EXP for as long as I can remember. For some reason XP just looks lazy to me. You are either leaving off the E in EXP or you are screwing with an abbreviation using eXperience Points... which kinda annoys me. :p

EP just looks wrong, and the sound "Eeps" either reminds me of Marshmallow Peeps (AKA stale nasty yellow crap) or an Eepe. ;)

It's EXP, folks... get it right!

bodhi

First Post
Mycanid said:
That being said - I HATE PEEPS! BLEH!
Thus, they are a challenge, and in overcoming such, you should be awarded XP. Not electrum pieces. Unless that was in their hoard.

So what's the CR on a peep? Hrm. Or a swarm, perhaps (no, not a flock).

Hrm. Now I'll have to think about crossbreeding marshmallow peeps with weresmurfen (from another thread). Little blue raging peeps that explode when you microwave them...this has potential.

Gilladian said:
As does Thaco, and other 2nd editionisms...
<pedant>THAC0</pedant>
Zero, not O.
Although admittedly, I've never heard it pronounced "thac-zero".

Aikuchi

Transient
Acks-pee (XP) for quick chat,

Ee-acks-pee (EXP) when we arent garbling our words.

Never heard of EP being used, ever around here parts :p

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
reanjr said:
I have a player who calls them Eeps, which is horribly annoying. Apparently this nomenclature is popular among the regional RPGA. Just another reason to not get involved in organized gaming.

All the RPGA documents and adventurers that I am aware of call them XPs.

TwinBahamut

First Post
Maybe it is the videogame roots showing, but I have always called them "EXP".

I have never even heard of EP being used for abbreviation until I read this thread just now...

Remove ads