• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yahoo closing accounts

Stone Angel

First Post
Recieved a message from my friends list on YM something about sending the message to everyone on my list if I wanted to keep my account.

From the director of yahoo, Tim Buiski, Sorry for the interuption, but Yahoo is closing the system down because too many booters are taking up all the names, we only have 57 names left, if you would like to close your account, don't send this mesage, if you want to keep your account, send this message to everyone on your list. This is no joke, you'll be sorry you didn't send it. Thanks, Director of Yahoo, Tim Buiski, WHOEVER DOESN'T SEND THIS MESSAGE YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND IT WILL COST $10.00 A month to USE IT TO SEND 2 EVERYONE ON YOUR LIST RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR GROUP THEN CLICK SEND""

Anyone know if this has any truth behind it?

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Stone Angel said:
Anyone know if this has any truth behind it?

*cough* crap! *cough*

Well, as long as Stone Angel doesn't become like the guy below we're ok. ;)

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/news/local/10582667.htm

MIAMI - A University of Miami law professor says he is an innocent dupe in a complicated Internet scheme that allegedly resulted in $1.68 million being stolen from a major truck leasing company by scam artists in Nigeria.

The professor, who holds three doctorates, says that when the check arrived, he followed the Nigerians' instructions to deposit it in his account at University Credit Union, an independent firm that serves University of Miami employees and students. He says he then wire transferred the entire $1.68 million to the Nigerian government, the businessman and two of the businessman's associates in Maryland.

Last edited:

Stone Angel

First Post
Well all the captains of d*headedness show up and scoff at my post. :( :lol: I just wondered if anyone else had recieved this. C'mon who puts "seriously you'll be sorry" sounds like a line from White Goodman in Dodgeball.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Stone Angel said:
I just wondered if anyone else had recieved this.

Take it as an object lesson, SA. Maybe you wanted to know if anyone else had recieved it, but that isn't what you asked for. In your original post you asked if anyone knew of truth behind it, rather than if anyone had seen it. Don't be too surprised if folks don't give you what you want, when you don't ask for what you want.

Torm

Explorer
To clarify why this is obviously (to many of us) a hoax, so that you will know how to tell in the future, look at three things in the message you received:
1. Check over the grammar and punctuation in the message or e-mail. Is it poorly worded, capitalized, or punctuated? Does it contain language that makes anything sound threatening? Real companies have people who vet all their communications with the public for this stuff.
2. Does the message ask you to send any information (financial, passwords, etc) through channels you weren't previously familiar with using with that company when YOU were the one initiating communication? (Like through their website or what-have-you.) If so, it is probably a scammer, and if you're in doubt, contact them through a means you know is legitimate (e-mail on their website, for example) to see if there is anything they really need.
3. Are they asking you to pass on a message to other people, and it isn't a "tell your friends about this service, make sure they tell us you sent them, and receive a discount" sort of thing? In other words, to random people, and with no stated financial or prestige benefit to you for doing so? Real companies will e-mail all of their own customers (especially existing clients) directly, and do not rely on contacting a random sample of their customers and then letting some sort of unreliable word of mouth do the rest....

I hope this is helpful. :) And I'm not scoffing, because I've worked computer retail, and I've seen plenty of otherwise highly intelligent people get screwed over because they aren't familiar with the protocol of how things are done on the 'net, yet. Please don't get aggravated at the other posters, though. It is easy to forget where you came from, sometimes, like how frustrating it is to teach a child to make change - It is second nature to you now, so the kid may seem just flat stupid cause they don't just "get it" ;). But you know you didn't right away, either, not so long ago - or if you did, there were plenty of kids in your class who didn't and you were lucky.

Last edited:

Stone Angel

First Post
So I played it off ok right...No one knows that I am a gulible(sp?) moron. lol I have fooled you all. ***Maniacal laughter ensues***

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads