• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yes! "Turns" are back!!

One of my favorite abstractions of earlier versions of D&D was the ten-minute turn.

You rest and bind your wounds after a fight, so most encounters use a turn of time. It takes a turn to search a normal-sized room. You can explore x amount of the dungeon in a turn. The DM rolls for a random encounter every 2 turns. A torch burns for 6 turns.

From what I've seen of 4E, with fights taking 5 minutes; a short rest taking 5 minutes; donning armor taking 5 minutes....The Turn is back with a vengeance baby!! And the turn is a good friend of the dungeonmaster.

MaelStorm

First Post
Blair Goatsblood said:
One of my favorite abstractions of earlier versions of D&D was the ten-minute turn.

You rest and bind your wounds after a fight, so most encounters use a turn of time. It takes a turn to search a normal-sized room. You can explore x amount of the dungeon in a turn. The DM rolls for a random encounter every 2 turns. A torch burns for 6 turns.

From what I've seen of 4E, with fights taking 5 minutes; a short rest taking 5 minutes; donning armor taking 5 minutes....The Turn is back with a vengeance baby!! And the turn is a good friend of the dungeonmaster.
I don't think it will be called turn though. I see it more like the average time an encounter should last. And the 10 minute (average time for 2 encounters) a milestone.

There will be combat turns of 6 sec. and combat rounds (which will last until all PCs, NPCs, monster combat turns end).Then a new combat round begins until fight is completed.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
It's just a good approximation for how long a lot of things take.

Get food from the Drive-through 5 minutes
Wait for the train - 5 minutes
Go to the bathroom - 5 minutes
Get the kids in shoes and coats - 5 minutes
Start up the computers - 5 minutes
Go grab a coffee - 5 minutes
Work between checking En World - 5 minutes
Post to a thread - 5 minutes

HP Dreadnought

First Post
jodyjohnson said:

Get food from the Drive-through 5 minutes
Wait for the train - 5 minutes
Go to the bathroom - 5 minutes
Get the kids in shoes and coats - 5 minutes
Go grab a coffee - 5 minutes
Work between checking En World - 5 minutes
Post to a thread - 5 minutes

Wow. . . you work a lot harder than I do! LOL!! :)

Incendax

First Post
jodyjohnson said:

Get food from the Drive-through 20 minutes
Wait for the train - 20 minutes
Go to the bathroom - 20 minutes
Get the kids in shoes and coats - 20 minutes
Go grab a coffee - 20 minutes
Work between checking En World - 20 minutes
Post to a thread - 20 minutes

There, fixed!

breschau

First Post
jodyjohnson said:

Which is why you should get a Mac. It takes 35 seconds to boot and I'm working (re: checking EN World).

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
jodyjohnson said:

5 minutes, takes mine closer to 15. of course I reboot once every few months or so....

Remove ads