D&D 5E Yet Another Attempt at Revising the Ranger

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So the original ranger is lackluster, and the revised ranger swings too far. How did this happen. I have a few theories based on critiques I've read on these boards.

1) Spells. People seem to want a ranger without spells, or perhaps something a little less magic oriented. They are nature fighters, not druids.

2) Favored Enemy. Is this a ribbon ability? Is it a core ability? How do you make it work if you don't end up fighting your favored enemies on a regular basis?

3) Beast Master Animal Companion. My issues (I don't know if others share it) is how do you standardize and balance it?

I'm not sure if I have all the answers. I'm still considering some changes, such as the beast master companion. But I think I have some interesting ways to bring the power level to the right balance. The following changes are structured assuming the original ranger as it appeared in the PHB.

Level 1

Eliminate all the level 1 abilities. Instead, replace them with the following:

Natural Explorer
You are a master of navigating the natural world, and you react with swift and decisive action when attacked. This grants you the following benefits:
• You ignore difficult terrain.
• Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
• Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
• Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
• If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
• When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
• While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area.

[sblock=Reasoning]It is a middle ground between the original and revised. It adds some power to the original because you don't have to choose a single type of terrain and you ignore difficult terrain. But it doesn't add unreasonable abilities to make this ability so valuable as a 1 level Ranger Dip.[/sblock]

Hunter’s Mark
As a hunter you have learned to mystically mark it as your quarry, making them easier to track and kill. As a bonus action, you can choose a creature you can see within 90 feet as the target of your Hunter’s Mark. For the next minute, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack. If the target drops to 0 hit points before the minute ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.

Any creature that you have damaged with your Hunter’s Mark emits a faint trail that only you can track, granting you advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it. This trail last for 24 hours.

Once you have used your Hunter’s Mark, you must wait until you finish a short rest to use it again.

[sblock=Reasoning]Hunter's Mark is a signature ability of the ranger. By making it a class feature instead of a spell, you can create a core identity around it and even add new ranger abilities to enhance this, rather than Favored Enemy (a dud in both the original and revised ranger IMO). Also this eliminates concentration, making it have continued value in battle and not having to worry about losing it, or needing to devote spell slots to use this nearly exclusively. This free spell slots for use on other spells.[/sblock]

Favored Enemy
Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.

Choose a type of favored enemy from the following list: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies.

Whenever one of your favored enemies is the target of your Hunter’s Mark, you deal 1d8 extra damage rather than 1d6. In addition, you learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures.

[sblock=Reasoning]Favored Enemy is iconic for the Ranger, so its hard to imagine a ranger without it. This allows it to be useful as a modification to Hunter's Mark, helping a character not feel gimped by not fighting their favored enemy.[/sblock]

Level 2

Spells
The ranger is a half-caster. Some people like the spells. Others don't. It creates more to manage for a character that is more martially based, but makes less sense than it does for a Paladin who can quickly convert spell slots for Divine Smite. So I suggest making the Ranger cast like a Warlock. You have fewer spell slots, making it less to manage, but they recharge on a short rest giving them increase utility. I also have changed the flavor text around the spells to reflect a less magical basis. As the Warlocks spells are called Pact Magic, Ranger spells are referred to as Nature's Grace.

Nature’s Grace
Your bond with the natural world and connection to the primordial Hunter’s Spirit has given you abilities that can often be confused with true magic.

Level 3

Remove Primeval Awareness and replace with the following:

Primeval Attunement
Beginning at 3rd level, your mastery of the natural world heightens even further. Choose from Handle Animal, Nature, and Survival. You gain proficiency with that skill. If you already have proficiency, then you may double your proficiency bonus when you use that skill.

[sblock=Reasoning]Primeval Awareness is a weird ability. Either version grants way more information than a character needs, creates headaches for the DM, and is simultaneously too powerful and useless. This grants a much more concrete bonus within the Ranger's sphere of influence, and represents skills regarding nature and tracking.[/sblock]

Level 5
Leave this is extra attack. Don't make it a archetype/conclave ability.

Level 6
Null level. No new abilities granted. If using a half caster with warlock style spell slots, they get a 2nd level spell slot.

Level 8
Get rid of Land's Stride/Fleet of Foot. I don't think its necessary. ASI/feat alone is fine.

Level 9
Place Hide in Plain Sight here. Use the Revised Ranger's version of Hide in Plain Sight.

Level 10
No abilities. Another null level. Using half-caster with warlock style casting, they gain 3rd level spell slots.

Level 13
Gain the following ability:

Greater Hunter’s Mark
Beginning at level 13 you deal even greater damage to those targeted by your Hunter’s Mark ability. You now deal 1d8 extra damage to those targeted by your Hunter’s Mark ability, or 1d10 extra damage if the target is one of your favored enemies.

Level 14
Gain a revised version of vanish as follows. It is weakened relative to normal due to this also being a level in which the ranger would gain 4th level spell slots.

Vanish
Starting at 14th level, you can’t be tracked by nonmagical means, unless you choose to leave a trail.

Level 17
Feral Senses is moved to level 17, as level 18 is when the ranger gains access to 5th level spell slots if using a warlock half-caster progression.

Level 20
Foe Slayer is a pathetic Capstone. If we use Hunter's Mark as a core mechanic for the Ranger rather than Favored Enemy, then I would suggest this:

Supreme Hunter
At 20th level, you become an unparalleled hunter of your enemies. Your Hunter's Mark ability is always active and you no longer need to finish a short rest between uses. You can only have one creature designated as the target of your Hunter’s Mark at any given time. In addition, the bonus damage you deal from your Hunter's Mark is always the maximum value you could roll.

Ranger Archetypes/Conclaves

Hunter and Beast Master gain additional spells. Each of the 3 new archetypes (Gloom Stalker, Horizon Walker, and Monster Hunter) gain specialized spells. No reason Hunter and Beast Master should be left out. The levels have been adjusted since a warlock half-caster progression slightly changes when the ranger gains access to a given spell level. I gave them each the following:

Hunter
3rd level - Zephyr Strike (XGtE)
6th Level - Enhance Ability
10th Level - Elemental Weapon
14th Level - Deathward
18th Level - Steel Wind Strike

Beast Master
3rd Level - Animal Friendship
6th Level - Animal Messenger
10th Level - Revivify
14th Level - Dominate Beast
18th Level - Awaken

Finally, I have revise the Beast Master Archetype/Conclave to be more easily balanced/standardized without requiring access to the monster manual or granting power creep from future splat books. It is as follows:

Beast Master
The Beast Master archetype embodies a friendship between the civilized races and the beasts of the world. United in focus, beast and ranger work as one to fight the monstrous foes that threaten civilization and the wilderness alike. Emulating the Beast Master archetype means committing yourself to this ideal, working in partnership with an animal as its companion and friend.

Animal Companion
At 3rd level, you learn to use your magic to create a powerful bond with a creature of the natural world.

With 8 hours of work and the expenditure of 50 gp worth of rare herbs and fine food, you call forth an animal from the wilderness to serve as
your faithful companion.

At the end of the 8 hours, your animal companion appears and gains all the benefits of your Companion’s Bond ability. You can have only one animal companion at a time.

If your animal companion is ever slain, the magical bond you share allows you to return it to life. With 8 hours of work and the expenditure of 25 gp worth of rare herbs and fine food, you call forth your companion’s spirit and use your magic to create a new body for it. You can return an animal companion to life in this manner even if you do not possess any part of its body.

If you use this ability to return a former animal companion to life while you have a current animal companion, your current companion leaves you and is replaced by the restored companion.

You can choose the appearance of your animal companion, but regardless of its appearance it has the following statistics:

Animal Companion
Medium or Large Beast
Speed 40 ft.
Hit Points 18 (3d8 + 3)
Armor Class 13

Ability Scores
STR 12 (+1)
DEX 12 (+1)
CON 12 (+1)
INT 3 (-4)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 6 (-2)

Senses Darkvision 60'
Languages Cannot speak, but understands any languages of its master

ACTIONS
*Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1d6+1 slashing damage.

*Note, you may choose a different type of attack at the animal companion’s creation and change the type of damage as appropriate. Examples include a bite that deals piercing damage and a slam or tail attack that deals bludgeoning damage. Regardless of the attack type, it cannot have a reach greater than 5ft and not more than 1d6 damage. Once your animal companion is summoned and its attack type is determined, you cannot change it until you summon a new animal companion.

In addition, your Animal Companion is proficient in all savings throws, and you may choose 2 proficiencies out of the following skills for your Animal Companion to be proficient: Athletics, Acrobatics, Perception, Stealth, Survival.

Your Animal Companion has abilities and game statistics determined in part by your level. Your Animal Companion uses your proficiency bonus rather than its own. In addition to the areas where it normally uses its proficiency bonus, your Animal Companion also adds its proficiency bonus to its AC (if it is wearing no armor/barding, otherwise, use whichever AC is higher).

For each ranger level you gain after 3rd, your dinosaur gains an additional hit die and increases its hit points accordingly. Whenever you gain an ASI from your ranger class, your Animal Companion’s abilities also improve. Your Animal Companion can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your Animal Companion can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature unless its description specifies otherwise. Your Animal Companion shares your alignment.

Companion’s Bond
At 3rd level, your animal companion gains a variety of benefits while it is linked to you.

The companion obeys your commands as best it can. It acts on your turn and you must use a bonus action to command your animal companion. You determine its decisions, attitudes, and so on. If you are incapacitated or absent, your companion acts on its own.

You and your animal companion both gain the benefits of your Natural Explorer ability. Once you have designated a target of your Hunter's Mark, both you and your animal companion gain the benefits of those abilities.

Superior Strikes
At 7th level your animal companion’s attacks can break through defenses that normal attacks could not. Your animal companion’s attacks count as magical for the purposes of resistance.

Storm of Claws and Fangs
At 11th level, when you use your bonus action to command your animal companion to attack, it can make a melee attack against each creature of its choice within 5 feet of it, with a separate attack roll for each target.

Animal Protector
At 15th level, your animal companion is willing to risk its life for yours. Whenever your animal companion is within 5ft of you and a creature makes a successful attack roll against you, your animal companion can use its reaction to take the full amount of damage instead of you.

EDIT: Made the following changes:

-Changed the 4th level Hunter bonus spell to Death Ward and the 3rd level Beast Master bonus spell to Revivify based on [MENTION=6871653]vincegetorix[/MENTION]'s suggestion. I thought those particular spells fit better for the ranger archetypes than the ones I chose.

-Added the note regarding the Animal Companion's attack modality.

-Corrected some grammatical errors and cleaned up the section regarding the animal companion's bonus to AC and damage.

-Moved Storm of Claws and Fangs to level 11 Beast Master feature. Removed Beast Defense.

-Added Animal Protector to level 15 Beast Master features.

EDIT #2: Made/Considering the following changes:

So the animal companion starts off with a bonus to damage equal to the character's proficiency bonus. But I feel that may be too much at level 3. Especially since the animal companion will also deal extra damage with Hunter's Mark, and this put this over the Berserker Barbarian's Frenzy ability and the Battlerager Barbarian's Battlerager Armor ability. So I am definitely taking that out.

But is there a place it can be put back in? I think level 7 would not work. Although it would make thematic sense, it feels too early for that kind of bonus, especially if you look at what the Hunter Ranger gets at that level. I'm not sure.

Last edited:

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm really intrigued by having the Ranger spells recharge on short rest. I've frowned on them being "spells" in the past but finally see them abilities powered by knowledge of nature. It seems right to have them be a couple things that a Ranger knows how to do. They are a mix of skill and mysticism. Short rests seem to fit this model.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I dont like how the PHB beastmaster use all of his archetype's features only to make its concept work, you should be able to be a competent beastmaster from the start, not have to choose between your character and his pets for 1/3 of the game. I think people are scared of the rigid action economy of 5e.

I'm tempted to use the ranger of Pillars of Eternity to change the beastmaster from D&D. Give the beastmaster a pet with its own set of action, that's not the end of the world, something like a glorified familiar. Many table use hireling, mercenaries, tag-along NPC, DmPC etc, so having a player manage his ranger and one pet will not slow the game to a crawl. The ranger isnt a powerhouse, so having a pet (without multi-attack) with one attack/round is only a little buff and you can even give a ''despair'' debuff to the ranger should its beast die in combat (gain exhaustion?). Then, have the Beastmaster gain a bonus while figthing alongside his beast: gain +damage if attack the same target in a round, share spell effect, see throught companion senses, move companion adjacent to a target after a hit etc.

Also, give the PHB ranger some extra spells
Hunter: (lvl3) Compelled Duel (lvl5) Aid (lvl9) Crusader's Mantle (lvl13) Deathward(lvl17) Hallow
BM: (lvl3) Find Familiar (lvl5) Alter Self (lvl9) Revivify (lvl13) Dominate Beast (lvl17) Awaken

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I dont like how the PHB beastmaster use all of his archetype's features only to make its concept work, you should be able to be a competent beastmaster from the start, not have to choose between your character and his pets for 1/3 of the game. I think people are scared of the rigid action economy of 5e.

I don't think people are scared, just cautious. The Beast Master as I presented, for example, allows you to make an attack with your companion by expending your bonus action. The only classes that provide similar abilities are the Berserker Barbarian with their Frenzy ability (requires you to be raging and causes you to take on a level of exhaustion) and the Battlerager Barbarian (limited to 1d4 + Strength and only if you are wearing spiked armor and raging). In my own homebrew versions of these classes, I have adjusted these limitations, but that can provide an example of the power using a bonus action for an attack can have. Especially because with an animal companion in my version of the Beast Master, you could also use that bonus action to have the companion take the Help action, giving it more power and flexibility than either the Frenzy ability or the Battlerager Armor ability. Other characters without such classes are limited to dealing at most 1d6 without their strength/dexterity bonus with an off-hand weapon, and only when they take the attack action (unless they invest in the Dual Wielder feat or have the Two-Weapon Fighting Style). So I think the concern has some merit and an eye needs to be kept on how you are able to use your companion.

I'm tempted to use the ranger of Pillars of Eternity to change the beastmaster from D&D. Give the beastmaster a pet with its own set of action, that's not the end of the world, something like a glorified familiar. Many table use hireling, mercenaries, tag-along NPC, DmPC etc, so having a player manage his ranger and one pet will not slow the game to a crawl.

Well, it is more than a glorified familiar. Familiars are incapable of taking the attack action, with the exception of the Pact of the Chain Warlock. But even then you must use on of your own attacks to allow the familiar to attack. Or you must use the Deliver Spell which uses your character's action and the familiar's reaction. As for NPCs and Mercenaries, there is also a difference there. Such characters are controlled by the DM. Thus, they may not fight to the death. They may get cold feet before a battle. They may betray you when the enemy approaches them with a better offer. They may decide that they don't like your tactics and go off their own playbook. This is how the DM can justify their presence and create a balance. An animal companion does not have those same opportunities, since they are extensions of the players. They are not NPCs, but a part of the player's character. As such, giving them the same amount of free will and action as a DM-controlled mercenary or hireling can create difficulties as it gives the player autonomy over an additional character that is not achievable by the other players.

The ranger isnt a powerhouse, so having a pet (without multi-attack) with one attack/round is only a little buff and you can even give a ''despair'' debuff to the ranger should its beast die in combat (gain exhaustion?). Then, have the Beastmaster gain a bonus while figthing alongside his beast: gain +damage if attack the same target in a round, share spell effect, see throught companion senses, move companion adjacent to a target after a hit etc.

Some of these would certainly be good candidates for the Beast Master ranger abilities. In fact, it has made me think that maybe granting a damage bonus equal to the character's proficiency bonus would be best moved to Superior Strike, to further limit the strength of the animal companion at first.

Remove ads