You all like swarms of things, right?

RickVigorous

First Post
A new creature: the Brood of Roaches. Basically, a Wasp Swarm with a different ability.

Eventually, I plan to post more swarms here; feel free to add your own. I've got the following swarms in the works:
School of Pirhana
Crawling Claw Swarm
Grave Worms (worms that infest corpses and cause them to animate)
Husk Swarm (a reanimated swarm insect exoskeletons)
Two energon swarms - tiny xeg-ya and xag-yi.
And a unique swarm from some place that's a bit "far out."

Without further ado...

BROOD OF ROACHES
Medium-Size Vermin (Swarm of Fine Creatures)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 13 (+3 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Attacks: Swarm
Damage: Swarm 1d6 plus disease
Face/Reach: 5 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction (DC 13), disease (DC 13)
Special Qualities: Swarm traits, vermin traits
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 16, Con 13, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 2
Skills: —
Feats: —
Climate/Terrain: Any land or underground
Organization: Swarm
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: —
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —

Distraction (Ex): Any nonmindless creature vulnerable to the swarm damage of the brood of roaches that begins its turn with a swarm in its square it nauseated for 1 round. A Fortitude save (DC 13) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills requiring patience and concentration requires a Concentration check (DC 20).
Disease (Ex): The brood of cockroaches lives in filth. Creatures who suffer damage from the swarm must make Fortitude saves (DC 13) or become afflicted with filth fever.

Krishnath

First Post
Interresting, although it wasn't exactly how I had envisioned the Brood of Cockroaches. I might post my version at a later date. But not bad never the less... :D

Last edited:

Frog Slime

First Post
Excellent work. As I have a brood of cockroaches as a pet, myself,
I wouldn't mind having one of my wizard character being able to summon a fiendish or anarchic variety of the swarm.

I was toying with the idea of a swarm of flying piranha with two different varieties. They originated from the Abyss, but many schools have since "gone native" on the Material. So, you have neutral normal ones and chaotic evil (Extraplanar) ones.

Now, to sit down and think out some stats for the hungry hungry hip, er, flying fish.

Amadan

First Post
Been wanting to do a 3E form of a Spider Swarm, but havn't gotten around to it.

Swarm of Fine creatures (or possibly Diminiutive).
Or, better yet, different stats for each size!

RickVigorous

First Post
Sorry that I haven't made any new posts; an incident with an underage drunk driver has drawn my attention away from the forums. I should have a new swarm by the end of the week.

RickVigorous

First Post
A 17-year-old drunk made an illegal left turn and nailed my car, totalling it. It was an old piece of junk, but it ran, and now there's some legal issues regarding getting insurance to cover it because of the age of the other driver (despite the fact that the accident was entirely his fault). Fun stuff.

Remove ads