• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You don't play 4E, but what did they get RIGHT?

Retreater

Legend
I was having a conversation with another player in my group who has a like/dislike relationship with 4E (our group is currently playing Pathfinder, FWIW). He said that there were some things he didn't like about 4E, but also some really great ideas that our group has overlooked.

So not to start an edition war thread, but I was wondering if you are in a similar boat. Maybe you don't like 4E as a whole but you realize there are some things you do like about it.

For example, I like interesting terrain features in combat, healing surges, and the concept of At-Will spells for casters.

Retreater

BryonD

Hero
I really like the death and dying rule.

I like the idea that races should remain significant in nature of the character beyond low levels.

radmod

First Post
I don't but I bought it and scanned it. Some things I remember thinking:

I liked the higher hp at low levels (that's in there, right?).
I thought many of the actions you could take were reasonably and relatively balanced between character classes. (no more huge bennies for Ftrs from 2e)
I like the SSSOD idea.

athos

First Post
I like almost nothing about 4th edition, but I do like the fact that they "tried" to make everyone more effective at first level, so its not cast 2 spells and done for the day. That is a good idea. Some DM's give 3.5 characters a bonus to 0th level spells equal to their ability mod which is kind of a way of doing that for 3.5.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I don't like 4E and IMO it has no redeeming qualities or features.

~ Clearly this wasn't the thread for you then, which makes me wonder why you decide to try a threadcrap in it. Don't do it - Admin ~

Last edited by a moderator:

MortonStromgal

First Post
Higher HP at low level
No confirming crits
At Will powers
Less junk at epic level
terrain matters
simplifying spellcasters

I also like the idea of bloodied and skill challenges even if I don't like the implementation

Festivus

First Post
I play both Pathfinder and 4E, so perhaps I should not comment because I don't fit the criteria. But here are things that pop into my head while playing Pathfinder (and these are things that people who love 3.x/pathfinder probably will not agree with me on):

1. No Iterative attacks. It really gets tough at higher levels in 3.x, when you have 3 or 4 attack rolls, each of them doing x damage dice for the melee fighters, but the wizard still gets one attack spell to cast. So the fighter takes 3 attack rolls, plus adding all those damage dice up, and the wizard casts a spell, misses the spell penetration roll and is done for another 5 minutes. So the removal of iterative attacks, everything standardized to various action types uniformly gives everyone at the table the same amount of time to work. Everything is balanced, and it's clear what actions are on which steps. Instead of iterative attacks, the damage is upped.

2. Attacks versus defenses - All of the attacks are made in a similar fashion, regardless of what sort of attack they are. There is no saving throws made to avoid the effects of a spell, it was my die roll as a spell caster that makes things happen, not the DM rolling for the monster. That is more exciting to me as a player than saying "I cast fireball into the room here, and it does X damage, half if they save".

3. Action Points for an extra standard action. I love this, it makes the chance to be really heroic happen once in a while. I really miss those when playing Pathfinder.

4. Uniformity of spells / powers - Everything is in a standardized format, so it's easy to comprehend the abilities of a fighter or a wizard because the information is in the same location. When I play melee types in Pathfinder, I find it limiting in terms of what attack options I have are. When I play a spell caster in Pathfinder, I find I am spending my time between turns looking up spells and what they do and how they work.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Rituals are an interesting idea. I think they need more work (like a single action-low power version of many of them).

Martial Encounter powers have potential.

Stat bonus added to ranged weapon damage powers - about time.

Simplified actions and a clear order of dealing with things going on in a round.

Layout of the rules among the clearest for reference.

The more I think about 4e, the more I feel that's about all 4e did that I liked.

scruffygrognard

Adventurer
Hmmm... here are some bits from 4E that I dig:

1] that heroes are a bit more durable at 1st level
2] that terrain factors into combat
3] the idea of minions, if not the execution
4] the idea of skill challenges, if not the execution

To be honest, the bits I like most from 4E came out of Iron Heroes which, despite some flaws, is a great game for low-magic fantasy games.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I like almost all changes to hit points, death, and dying, including healing surges. (The big exception is the inability to remain injured for longer than six hours.)

I like 4E's approach to monster design by "give 'em whatever's cool" (and it's an approach I adopted in the final stages of my 3.5 campaign).

I like that 4E pushes (NPI) movement and fluidity in combat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads