• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You don't play 4E, but what did they get RIGHT?

pawsplay

Hero
I thought of two more things to add.

First, the unification of giants and titans into the primordial forces and all that. Basically, WotC stole my idea for the backstory I was writing for a classic type RPG setting, now on indefinite hiatus...

Second, monsters that do not have PC stats. I don't like the 4e monster design, itself, but I like the idea and insofar as 4e and the Rules Cyclopedia follow the same philosophy in that regard, I approve.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've seen this thread but haven't replied yet because I've been thinking about my answer. Initially, I was going to say less DM prep time and the whole Points of Light concept are two things 4e got right, but I base this more on what I've heard about the game rather than actual experience.

I don't particularly care for the rules in the 4e version of D&D - personally, I'd rather play Pathfinder or True20 for fantasy, either as a DM or player. My only experience with 4e has been reading the PHB and playing in two 4e game sessions. Thinking back on those two sessions, despite my personal distaste for the new (at the time) rules, I still had a great D&D experience playing at the table with friends and friends of friends. In short, I still had fun.

So looking back, what 4e D&D got right is that they made a game that was fun. And that's pretty much all they really needed to get right. B-)

My not liking 4e and others loving 4e are both okay things. I think we're very lucky to have choices that satisfy everyone's tastes. B-)

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
I like the healing surges idea, I use it with the Star Wars system for Hit Points, and the surges heal vitality, which I find more reasonable than healing wounds, essentially, but it becomes more of a second wind, adrenaline rush thing.

Pssthpok

First Post
I think the key successes of the 4E design philosophy are:

- Streamlined monster design.
- Treasure parcels.
- Simplified encounter design.
- Traps as "monsters".
- Non-combat challenges as "monsters".
- Daily/Encounter/At-will "spells" (though the martial dailies will always stick in my craw).
- Unified attack/defense progression (rectifies the "Epic BAB/Save" progression garbage from 3E nicely).
- Proficiency bonuses for weapons, as opposed to non-proficiency penalties.
- Implements.
- Monster roles (largely an encounter design perk, but substantial enough to warrant its own mention).
- Simplified magic item philosophy (no more +5/+5 weapons, for instance).
- Healing surges as the final measurement of stamina (though I miss the "free-healing" of the older editions because it helped highlight jus thow powerful high level healers could be).
- Removal of iterative attacks.
- Neutering of Sneak Attack damage.
- Fixing the issue of multi-classing across class themes (no more Wiz 10/Ftr 10 halfassery).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads