D&D 5E You get one spell vs. a demon lord... which one?

Bihlbo

Explorer
Playing in an OotA game, we're level 14 and about to fight a demon lord. My character just got frightened for a whole combat, and it's the first time he'd ever been frightened (saved vs. fear against 3 demon lords so far, but not this thing) so it really shook him. He said some prayers and the DM liked the RP so he said "Your god blesses you. Against this next demon lord, you can ask for the blessing and your god will cast an 8th level spell."

I'm playing a fighter. It's been 2 years since I paid attention to magic so my spell knowledge is very rusty. This isn't an easy choice. What would be a good spell to ask for?

Notes:
  • 8th level, or a lower-level spell cast as 8th with some leeway (for instance, protection from evil doesn't normally upcast but he suggested that spell as an option with 8 targets).
  • Any spell list.
  • It's a demon lord, so it will probably save against the spell. It might be god magic, but he's not the type of DM to remove chance.
  • I don't want to use this spell to deal direct hp damage because that's someone else's wheelhouse.

Anti-Magic Field

Your damage is going to be halved because you will effectively be using a non-magic weapon, but with all it's cool abilities taken away you may just be able to beat it to death the old fashioned way.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
This is similar to a situation we had in Against the Giants. It looked to be a TPK, and our Cleric used Divine Intervention to save our butts!

Depending on how your DM wants to do things, the benefits of Heroes' Feast might be good for the party?
If it just for you then Antimagic Field is a good one since you are a Fighter.
Maybe something like Holy Aura since this is from your god might fit?
And something like Heal is always nice. :)

I would definitely do my research before you use it. I would advise focusing on something that helps you/your party more than goes against the demon lord.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Drop a Temple of the Gods right on top of him. Catch as many of them as you can and lock them inside, then deal with them one by one.

Unless the DM is also waiving the casting time this won't work - 1 hour casting time.

Your DMs suggestion of protection from evil/good on the entire party is not bad and something normally not possible. The demon having disadvantage on attacks and being unable to charm the party is fairly major. Only question is does your character have to maintain concentration - against hard hitting creatures that could be an issue.

Oofta

Legend
I'd consider Holy Aura. It buffs you and allies so the demon lord can't use an epic save to nerf it. Another option would be Maze, no save and they need to make an intelligence save to escape. Let's you recuperate and ready for their return.

Anti magic zone is okay, but situational since it may nerf allies just as much as the demon lord.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'd consider Holy Aura. It buffs you and allies so the demon lord can't use an epic save to nerf it. Another option would be Maze, no save and they need to make an intelligence save to escape. Let's you recuperate and ready for their return.

Anti magic zone is okay, but situational since it may nerf allies just as much as the demon lord.

So looking at holy aura - it's better than protection from good /evil in almost every respect - BUT it doesn't automatically prevent charm, that's actually a big edge to the protection from evil /good.

In most respects, Holy Aura is better - still concentration though.

Remove ads