• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E You get one spell vs. a demon lord... which one?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Playing in an OotA game, we're level 14 and about to fight a demon lord. My character just got frightened for a whole combat, and it's the first time he'd ever been frightened (saved vs. fear against 3 demon lords so far, but not this thing) so it really shook him. He said some prayers and the DM liked the RP so he said "Your god blesses you. Against this next demon lord, you can ask for the blessing and your god will cast an 8th level spell."

I'm playing a fighter. It's been 2 years since I paid attention to magic so my spell knowledge is very rusty. This isn't an easy choice. What would be a good spell to ask for?

Notes:
  • 8th level, or a lower-level spell cast as 8th with some leeway (for instance, protection from evil doesn't normally upcast but he suggested that spell as an option with 8 targets).
  • Any spell list.
  • It's a demon lord, so it will probably save against the spell. It might be god magic, but he's not the type of DM to remove chance.
  • I don't want to use this spell to deal direct hp damage because that's someone else's wheelhouse.
My pick might an 8 target Protection from Evil and Good.

A mass healing spell could also be very good.

WHat level is Death Ward?

What about conjuring angels to help in the fight? Planar Ally is a weird spell and Conjure Celestial might not be powerful as a combatant in that fight (I haven’t really used celestials of that CR at that level idk), but even a support/healer ally.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
I haven't seen any mention of Forcecage yet. Arguably one of the best spells in the game. No save, no concentration, 1 hour duration, immune to dispel magic. Even if it can still fight back through an open cage, it's limited to ranged attacks, and a lot of demon lords have powerful melee abilities. If nothing else, pinning it in place gives you the option of taking cover somewhere to regroup without it being able to step around the corner.

If anyone in the group has sickening radiance, the combo of those two spells is... well, let's say it's good.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Thanks, everyone!

Holy aura was my first choice, but since we don't have the expensive tiny reliquary, it's not an option. Already asked the DM about that.

Half the group is casters and we're all sorta built around magic items. Anti magic zone would nerf us hard. Maybe it would still be an advantage, but it will without a doubt make the fight a lot less fun for some of us.

Conjure celestial is also a good idea. However, we left off last game looking at the enemies, so the 1 minute casting time nixes that option. Maybe I can convince him to retcon the walk up to the lair to say it's already conjured. Maybe I can ask the deity to just "Send me an angel, right now, right now" and not have to wait (he likes glam bands, that might work). It's worth the ask. However, the CR 4 celestial options are: couatl. That's it. I could argue that it is conjured while change shape has already been used to change it to something else humanoid (handy that the one option for that spell is built with many options). An avatar of the god would be perfect, and fun.

Forcecage is a great idea, because there's a room absolutely full of bastards, in addition to the lord. Pin down the lord and clear the room? Might be ideal. Also requires asking him if it'll work because it's 7th level. The problem is, I'm almost certain that it can use teleportation to get out, and that it will make that Cha save to do so.

I have a feeling that saving the option for resurrection might be the safest choice.

Jediking

Explorer
Regenerate is useful on yourself to be a tank, as it allows you to be knocked unconscious but then regain +1 HP at the start of each turn. It lasts 7 hours so you can have it on even before you engage in combat.
A little cheesy, but it could fit with the divine-chosen of god to stand up against the evil demon lord

Forbiddance can be good if you know where the battle will take place. Deals automatic damage each round and doesn't take any actions, prevents teleportation oops read that you don't have time to cast it

Spirit Guardians* upcasted deals decent chip damage, but also reduces movespeed and doesn't take actions or require concentration after it is cast
*even better with multiple enemies around!

Dispel Magic/Counterspell knock out one of the demon lord's biggest attacks or items. Your god insists he fight you mano a demon-lordo

Remove ads