• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You know what I hate?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
Stop deluding yourself. Undermountain sucked ass. Lots and lots of ass.

I liked the parts that were detailed. Had they kept up that quality for the entire thing [aka, empty rooms], it would have rocked like nothing else could compare to.

rounser

First Post
I feel hemmed in by adventures that give you no flexibility, no elbow room.
You just modify the map a bit with new areas, and there's your flexibility. That's a lesser evil than including a big map full of empty.

If the dungeon were a movie, the first thing that would end up on the editing room floor would be empty rooms, or rooms with features that slow down play for no payoff in terms of enjoyable play, such as "may as well be empty" rooms...what my brother aptly calls "cabinet contents" dungeons.

Psion

Adventurer
rounser said:
You just modify the map a bit with new areas, and there's your flexibility. That's a lesser evil than including a big map full of empty.

That line of reasoning MUCH more easily plays to my point. The Undermountain book was large and well written; The maps were just bigger than they needed to be. If empty room bug you so freaking much, I'll lend you my sharpie and you can make them into hallways between the keyed rooms.

:]

Melan

Explorer
der_kluge said:
Stop deluding yourself. Undermountain sucked ass. Lots and lots of ass.

I ran it for some friends in college. I borrowed it from a buddy, and my friends all wanted to play, so I decided I'd pull out undermountain and we'd play that. Imagine my horror when the PCs went right instead of left and the room they entered was completely empty. Aaargh!
Undermountain taught me more about improvisation than any other single product. Running it was messy, it was chaotic, and my players loved it.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
catsclaw227 said:
FYI -- I loved those compilations. I use them often, along with the old Mystic Eye Games' Foul Locales. Didn't you do some work on the Warlords of the Accordlands as well?/threadjack

Great to know! Yes, I wrote all the spells & feats (IIRC) and a bunch of other stuff for Warlords. I didn't write the adventure book, so there may be some empty rooms in there. :)

-DM Jeff

Do those opposed to incomplete areas include adventures where a tunnel runs off the edge of the map and the author states that it leads further into the underdark and is beyond the scope of the module?

catsclaw227

First Post
jmucchiello said:
Do those opposed to incomplete areas include adventures where a tunnel runs off the edge of the map and the author states that it leads further into the underdark and is beyond the scope of the module?
I am not a big fan of this, but I can improvise this if they PCs happen upon it. The tunnel can have a cave-in or can simply lead further and further down until to gets too small to squeeze through.

jmucchiello said:
This doesn't really bother me. Those are outside the scope of the module and easy to get rid of.

What bothers me is room upon room of empty space.

Remove ads