D&D 5E You know what? I'm frustrated at how long 5e is gonna take.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
The game that will always be known as "Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition" (regardless of how WotC tries to market it lol) is not, in all likelihood, going to be released until 20-frickin'-13.

You know what? Whether I'm going to love it or hate it, I at least want to SEE the darn thing. But it looks like it won't be out for well over a year. I'm actually frustrated at how long that's going to be. I feel like Luke arguing with his Uncle Owen.

"But that's a whole 'nother year!"
"It's only one more season."

Because I'm now 41, my memory is probably hazy, but I don't seem to recall such a long time between official announcement and release of 4e. Did we wait this long last time?

marleykat

First Post
I understand your frustration but I will only be disappointed if it makes my decision easy to stay with my current game systems. Make it hard dammit! Time I have, good systems supported by major companies less so. So make it right and they will come.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
I understand your frustration but I will only be disappointed if it makes my decision easy to stay with my current game systems. Make it hard dammit! Time. I have good systemssupported by major companies less so. So make it right and they will come.

Definitely. I'd rather have them get it right than make it quick. But fifteen months or so seems like a long time to spend in these speculative threads . . . :erm:

It's that kind of response that caused WotC to wait as long as possible before announcing 4th ed in the first place - get the product out while the buzz is still strong. WotC is risking a drop in enthusiasm by doing things this way.

Let's hope the upside of the early release pays off for them.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
It's that kind of response that caused WotC to wait as long as possible before announcing 4th ed in the first place - get the product out while the buzz is still strong.

What I seem to remember is WotC announcing 4e sometime around Christmas and it coming out the following summer. Am I remembering right? It didn't seem like much of a wait, if memory serves--eight months or so.

Dausuul

Legend
Definitely. I'd rather have them get it right than make it quick. But fifteen months or so seems like a long time to spend in these speculative threads . . . :erm:

We only have to speculate for a couple months. Then the open playtest begins. It may be a year-plus before we get the fancy hardcovers with the Word From On High, but we'll know the general shape of the rules quite soon.

Last edited:

marleykat

First Post
True dat! It's a different environment this time because you would have to be in
denial not to know that are after gamers like me. The ones that basically stopped at 3.0/3.5 and went to Pathfinder, or like 2e, huge money there, too big for WoTc to ignore anymore.

Personally I love that I'm the target audience again, so take your time I say, I have other games to entertain me in the meantime, so they are walking a tightrope.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, if they did it 4E style there would be no time for feedback

I hope spring means February, but am happy if it means April

I think we will be able top play a lot of it before it s out in beautiful boxes or books.

bording

Explorer
Wizards announced 4th edition at Gencon 2007 (August), and it was released June 2008.

So, not quite a year, but pretty close.

Remove ads