• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Best and Worst Sci-Fi TV Shows!

Romulan_Knight

First Post
Best:
1: Voyager.(Ow yeah borg).
2: Deep space nine. (Big space battles is the best thing).
3: Battlestar glacticer. (Just great).
4: Star trek TNG. (Just great).

Worst:
1: Enterprise.(Too slow and primative).
2: Star Trek TOS.(But not the movies).

MonsterMash

First Post
Best only (I prefer to erase the worst from my memory)
1. Dr Who
2. Blakes 7
3. Captain Scarlet
4. X-Files
5. UFO

Honourable mentions:
Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy - though the books and radio series are far superior
Star Trek and Star Trek TNG
Quatermass (several series)

Belen

Adventurer
trancejeremy said:
Worst:
------------

1) Firefly

Decent premise, but the execution really was bad.

Well, there is always at least one person in the crowd who thinks that greatness is bad. :uhoh:

Orius

Legend
Orius' Sci-Fi/fantasy review:

Best

Star Trek: I think that says it all.
Star Trek DS9: The best of the modern Treks. Great writing and characters, pays approprite homage to the original where the others tend to ignore it.
Babylon 5: Started out with a slow first season, but by the end of the first season, the plot hooks start to really pull you in.
Stargate SG1: I've never taken the whole "aliens built the pyramids" idea seriously at all, but Stargate managed to take that premise and build a pretty good franchise with it. A well written show that can go from serious to funny, and which has successfully managed to cover the same sort of ground as Star Trek.
The Twilight Zone (original): It's simply a classic thought-provoking show.
Earth 2: This show had a lot of potential, but network meddling ultimately killed it. The fact that the storyline got more complex and tangled as the series went on didn't help.
The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.: Completely totally silly and over the top, but it was still a hell of a fun show to watch. It's a shame this show didn't survive yet X-Files did.
Quantum Leap: One of the few Sci-Fi shows to survive on a network. Not really much else to say on this besides the fact I liked it.
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys: Yeah, I know a lot of people hate Sorbo. But this is a fun, campy show with silly rubber and CGI monsters that knew better than to take itself too seriously. It suffered from some anachronisms true, but the fact that it could pull of some seriously episodes as well as the camp makes it a great and entertaining show.

Worst:
Star Trek: Voyager: I think that says it all.
X-Files: I hate conspiracy theories.
Battlestar Galactica (original): Pretty much a lame ass cheesy space opera that made little sense. However the updated version from what little I've seen of it shows some promise.
SeaQuest DSV: A classic example of a network ruining a show. The first season had some promise, but that was squandered in the second season's attepmt to get younger viewers interested. The third season was a decent attempt at saving the show, but it was too little too late. This show endured a painfully long death.
Andromeda: A classic example of why actors should stay actors and not become producers. A shame too, because this show started off strong.
Space: Above and Beyond: Let's have Earth fight a long and depressing war with an inexorable enemy that's ultimately unbeatable. No thanks.
Lost in Space: Danger! Danger! This is really bad TV.
Sinbad: An attempt to cash in on Hercules' success, Sinbad suffered from bad writing and acting.
Conan: A show with even worse acting and writing than Sinbad.

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
Orius said:
Orius' Sci-Fi/fantasy review:
SeaQuest DSV: A classic example of a network ruining a show. The first season had some promise, but that was squandered in the second season's attepmt to get younger viewer interested. The third season was a decent attempt at saving the show, but it was too little too late. This show endured a painfully long death.

Gee, THANKS... I'd finally managed to blot this show from my memory and now you go and dredge it up.

Thanee

First Post
Hmm...

Some I liked:

Babylon 5
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Space: Above and Beyond
Dark Angel (1st season was cool, 2nd wasn't really good anymore)
Thunderbirds

Havn't seen Battlestar Glactica and much of Firefly yet, but from what I heard, I'll probably like them, too.

And an honorable mention for Captain Future and Flash Gordon. :D

Some I disliked:

Star Trek: Voyager
Farscape
Andromeda
and the countless others I have already forgotten about... ;)

Bye
Thanee

Villano

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Oi! I worked on Xena and Jack!

But I always thought that you were good in them. :)

I really, really wanted to like Jack. It had some good ideas, but went a little too goofy. Plus, I could never get past the look of it (the recycled Hercules sets). It had a great theme song, though.

And I like it's sister series, Cleopatra 2525. But, then again, I love Gina Torres... :cool:

Though I have to agree about Sinbad. First time I saw a fight on that show, I fell off my chair and couldn't stop laughing for ten minutes...

-Hyp.

My favorite part was the cyclops with the obvious mask. Those who've seen it know what I'm talking about. I wish I had a link to a picture, because it's not something that can be described. :eek:

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Best
  • Star Trek: DS9
  • Star Trek: TOS
  • Babylon 5
  • Firefly
  • Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica
  • The Outer Limits (Original)
  • The Twilight Zone (Original)

Worst
  • Star Trek: Voyager