• Dean Cain

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Tom Welling

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Tyler Hoechlin

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other thing that I forgot

Votes: 2 2.2%

I assume one has to go down internet dark alleyways to see such a thing. It sounds good, though.
My understanding of the legality is that if you own the DVD, it's, like, legal enough for you to contact the creator of this fanedit and ask for where to download it. https://ifdb.fanedit.org/man-of-steel-a-symbol-of-hope/

(Another non-superhero fanedit I really liked took the Hobbit trilogy and fit it into one movie. The third film was condensed to basically 30 minutes, with the whole Battle of Five Armies being a 3 minute montage with just music, no dialogue or sound effects, to convey the tragedy of a war being fought due to greed.)

Ryujin

Legend
It's knocked around the comics industry for a while, too. I thought it was something that a big name writer came up with at one of DC's editorial summits years ago.

Either way, whoever came up with it -- including you! -- it's a great way to look at the characters.
Quite possible that I heard it in passing, at some point, and it just made it into my lexicon. If so, I don't remember it.

MarkB

Legend
Who came up with that framing? Was it Grant Morrison or Mark Waid or someone like that? It's definitely a great way to look at them.
I don't know if he originated it, but in Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics, there's a scene where a large number of characters attend a funeral in the dreamworld, within which they wear their true faces. Superman and Batman are both present, Batman in full costume and Superman dressed as Clark Kent.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know if he originated it, but in Neil Gaiman's Sandman comics, there's a scene where a large number of characters attend a funeral in the dreamworld, within which they wear their true faces. Superman and Batman are both present, Batman in full costume and Superman dressed as Clark Kent.
I've only ever read "Preludes and Nocturnes" (have the trade around here somewhere) and have been meaning to pick up more. This just reinforces that I need to do it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
That reinforces my sense about the time frame, as Gaiman was part of the late 1980s/early 1990s British invasion of DC and Marvel. So if Grant Morrison was indeed the one making those sorts of pronouncements, it would have gotten to Gaiman pretty quickly. (Heck, Gaiman may have been in the room at the time.)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Quite possible that I heard it in passing, at some point, and it just made it into my lexicon. If so, I don't remember it.
It is a bit of a truism around the comic collecting circles. Specially if you were a kid in the early nineties. During the silver age it was more or less the opposite. Silver Age Clark is but a persona created by Superman so he can superman better, while post-Man of Steel Clark is the actual person who created Superman so he gets a chance to actually be Clark. Silver Age Superman's perfect life is one in a Krypton that never exploded, while Post-MoS Clark asks Lois to marry him before telling her his secret because he wanted to know she wanted to marry "the real him".

This is also the reason I didn't vote Chris. He is a fantastic silver age superman, but part of me rejects that. To me the best Supes is a Clark. Henry and Brandon could have been very great ones, and certainly deserved a better script. Tom's just lacks that optimism and is a bit whinny part of the time. Tyler's is kinda a bit there, but the script is a bit on the weak side and he fails to sell the duality as plausible. Then I remember that Dean Cain is basically my childhood Superman and that his show is indirectly responsible for my country having a geeky subculture supported by a geeky industry and it is a no-brainer. His Clark is clearly that optimist boy-scout at heart, and his Supes is clearly Clark having fun wile still remaining plausible that people could be mistaken to think of him as two people. Funnily the hairstyles are reversed from the Christopher Reeves depiction n_n.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dean Cain's Clark and Superman are both great, only ruined by the fact that Dean Cain has to go around Dean Caining all the time now. (Social media means that, even if you want to separate the art from the artist, there are people out there who will put said artist on your timeline, whether you want them to or not.)

Ryujin

Legend
It is a bit of a truism around the comic collecting circles. Specially if you were a kid in the early nineties. During the silver age it was more or less the opposite. Silver Age Clark is but a persona created by Superman so he can superman better, while post-Man of Steel Clark is the actual person who created Superman so he gets a chance to actually be Clark. Silver Age Superman's perfect life is one in a Krypton that never exploded, while Post-MoS Clark asks Lois to marry him before telling her his secret because he wanted to know she wanted to marry "the real him".

This is also the reason I didn't vote Chris. He is a fantastic silver age superman, but part of me rejects that. To me the best Supes is a Clark. Henry and Brandon could have been very great ones, and certainly deserved a better script. Tom's just lacks that optimism and is a bit whinny part of the time. Tyler's is kinda a bit there, but the script is a bit on the weak side and he fails to sell the duality as plausible. Then I remember that Dean Cain is basically my childhood Superman and that his show is indirectly responsible for my country having a geeky subculture supported by a geeky industry and it is a no-brainer. His Clark is clearly that optimist boy-scout at heart, and his Supes is clearly Clark having fun wile still remaining plausible that people could be mistaken to think of him as two people. Funnily the hairstyles are reversed from the Christopher Reeves depiction n_n.
Even Silver Age Superman was a creation of his upbringing by the Kents, making that his core. That part of his legacy dates back to the 1940s, though was solidified in the 1950s.

Remove ads