"Your Class is Not Your Character": Is this a real problem?

Which is true for the most part. For most people the order of importance is a factor. Spell slots are crunch first and fluff second because of balance considerations where the colour of a PCs hair is fluff first and crunch almost never.
Didn't the Mattock of the Titans require someone to be at least six feet tall in order to use? I might be thinking of a different item, and I'd be surprised if they kept that requirement in 5E, but the principal still stands. The crunch is only valid because it accurately reflects the fluff. If you change the fluff, then you need to change the crunch to reflect that, or else it undermines the validity of the model.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Your insistence that fluff changes be classified as homebrew comes across to me as an assertion that changing fluff is impermissible within the rules. In other words, it sounds to me like your position is that, unless the DM permits homebrew, it would indeed be wrong to play a character against type. Am I misunderstanding?
Major fluff changes are home brew. Minor ones wouldn't be. Any change to fluff, though, should be run past your DM just in case it goes against something in the setting or would be disruptive in some way unknown to the player. Unless of course the DM gives free reign. I give my players quite a bit of leeway to come up with stuff. We've been playing together for anywhere from 13 years to 36 years, depending on the person.

it's completely possible for the warlock pact to act exactly like the relationship a Paladin already is in. Ancient pally/ fey pact seems perfectly fine.

The warlock class does not have any built-in 'consequences' than any other class. if you don't like the mechanical implications of the multi-class then just don't allow it.
Or I could just homebrew in consequences to people's actions. Seem like that would be a lot easier.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
You'll excuse me if I think this is just someone wanting to avoid the consequences of going into a warlock pact, right?
I'd certainly excuse you for that being your first thought, but surely you realize this isn't the only possibility? I picked this example because I knew it is polarizing. Personally I love the flavor baked into the Warlock's pact, but if I had a player that had made a Warlock and played out the idea before, and if they pitched me a more interesting character concept, but the Warlock's features modeled it the way they wanted, I wouldn't tell them "no".

Last edited:

Didn't the Mattock of the Titans require someone to be at least six feet tall in order to use? I might be thinking of a different item, and I'd be surprised if they kept that requirement in 5E, but the principal still stands. The crunch is only valid because it accurately reflects the fluff. If you change the fluff, then you need to change the crunch to reflect that, or else it undermines the validity of the model.
The accuracy needed of any giving fluff fitting it's corresponding crunch is purely subjective. I could make my spells magical potatoes and the only people who needed the connection is that table.
I don't think there is a model to uphold

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases