D&D 5E Your favorite PC of all-time...

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Berenice actually is a female name, at least in two languages.

Now I've taken 2 seconds to look that up, it appears you are correct. So they did call me a girls name!

Berenice, Brenda, Betty. It would have mattered naught.

But thanks for the knowledge. Assumption.....

ccs

41st lv DM
Bree Burrfoot, Awesome Adventurer
(5e 1/2ling warlock. 12 years old. Fey patron - ancient pseudo-dragon, pact of the chain, p.dragon familiar)

Bree serves "Scales", her p.dragon patron - who lives in a small cave under her fathers in, by finding him treasure & magic items. In exchange Scales teaches her magic. This isn't so much a master/servant arrangement, but rather a partner/friendship. Originally Bree brought Scales small treasures left behind/lost by patrons of her fathers inn. And Scales had hoped to send her out into the world to acquire him greater loot once she was older & better trained.

But Bree's official adventuring career began a lot earlier than expected when she helped her older sister Rose break into a mysterious Wizards tower that had appeared....

Bree isn't out to gain ultimate power, kill things, be a great hero, etc etc etc. She's just endlessly curious, fascinated by all things magical, & prone to doing things without considering consequences (though she's learning)

Oofta

Legend
Kilzim of the Hardby Dwarves (aka Kilzim Hardur), dwarven fighter and the lowest charisma entertainer you have ever met.

Kilzim was fun for two reasons. First, it was a build that didn't make a lot of sense at lower levels but once he hit a certain level was just a buzz saw of death.

The main reason was that while he had an extremely low charisma (back when dwarves took a -2 hit to charisma), was then cursed and lost another point of charisma for an abysmal 5 charisma.

Yet one lucky day he entered a performance contest alongside Tindell, bard extraordinaire. Fate smiled on Kilzim and while I rolled a 20 on my check (and succeeded at the challenge) the bard rolled a 1 (and failed). After that Kilzim was convinced that he was a better entertainer than the bard and insisted on trying to entertain everyone with predictably horrible results.

Eventually the bard convinced my dwarf that he should just do a tumbling act and remain silent throughout any performance.

Thus Kilzim Hardur became the dancing dwarf.

CydKnight

Explorer
Meric of the Shattered Lands was a human Figher I played in AD&D many years ago. He was all about justice and driving out evil and whatnot until one day he picked up a sentient rune sword off a demon he slayed. He was never the same Meric after that.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I have a number of much-beloved PCs, and it would be hard to even select a solid top 10.

But, it sounds like the OP is specifically interested in favorite D&D PCs. So, though I loved some of the interesting builds builds I came up with in 3.5, and the characters that developed out of two of them, in particular, and had had a lot of fun with some warlords (shocking, I know) and 1 wizard in particular, and quite a few other things here and there, in 4e, that favorite spot has to go back to the first D&D character I played who actually developed in the course of play: Legis mac Lar, a half-elven Druid, who started as just "I've played a lot of MUs, maybe a druid would be interesting, and oh, here's an oddity, half-elves are Unlimited level in Druid, yeah, OK..." and benefited from some excellent DMing, some unique magic items, and my first forays into Celtic mythology, to become such a rich and engaging character that, after the first campaign he was in broke up, I talked a second DM (Dena, the 'excellent DMing' I just alluded to, and who I've mentioned as a sort of D&D-mentor, before) into accepting him, and after that campaign petered out into occasional one-shots, I continued to play him at conventions for years, until 1e D&D just wasn't being run much anymore (because the 2e Druid just didn't quite do the trick, and the 3e and 4e versions were right out).

(Edit: and what says
'ilovethischarachtersomuchicanhardlystoptalkingabouttit!'
like a giant run-on sentence?)
;)

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Much like [MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] I too would have a hard time even coming up with a top-10 list; not counting convention games and one-shots (which would add several dozen more) I've played-as-player probably 60-70 characters over the years never mind all the many party NPCs I've played as DM. And if I started telling their stories - even just those of my favourites - this post might never end. :)

But if I had to choose one it'd be - at least for today - Appppil Pagey. Mechanically, going in she was my attempt to replicate a 1e Illusionist in 3e. Then the dice got going, and what came out was a bright, cheerful, bubble-headed Part-Elf farm girl with Wisdom 7 and generally poor other stats - who somehow had become a Wizard(Illusionist). Her odd name came from my using a random-letters table to generate it. (though how good is "Pagey" for a wizard! Sometimes I love dice...)

She was a throwaway. I fully expected her to die off in her first session, and already had the next character half-done.

But then something amazing happened: she didn't die in her first session. Or her second. Or anytime in that first adventure. Or the next. And by the time she finally did die we had revival effects available; and she lasted for 14 adventures over 7 real-world years of play. In fact, at the time her career ended she was the longest-serving member of the party! Three times voted "Most Entertaining Character" (and second two other times) in our annual all-game awards, she wore every emotion on her sleeve...she had rivals, friends, lovers, and (for lack of a better word) character. And bucketfuls of luck: sometimes when I look at what befalls my other characters I think all my player-luck got poured into Appppil; she had no business pulling off what she pulled off, nor surviving long enough to do it. Maybe that's why she's my favourite, or among them: I've always liked against-the-odds stories, and she was certainly one.

Woe betide you, however, should you ever be so foolish as to interrupt her while she was casting a spell. This was brought home all too clearly when - on the first few times it happened - she rolled natural 20 to [female dog]-slap the person responsible, to much laughter around the table.

And she broke the world. At least, that's how she saw it: the DM had set up an adventure such that if we were successful we would change how the world worked (mechanically, we'd jump from 3.0e to 3.5e on the fly) and Appppil triggered this while off exploring on her own by opening a particular door. I role-played this as driving her a bit mad; she became paranoid that everyone who had just lost abilities/spells/whatever due to this change she'd caused would be out to get her, and she was (almost certainly) going to suicide once we were back in town because of this.

She never got the chance. She was killed by her own party (she fireballed them once too often with her Rod of Wonder, they turned on her, she was dead within the round) and not revived.

Lan-"chaos for the win"-efan

Last edited:

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I don't get tired talking about Led Turnstreet. He is a wizard in a Dragonlance campaign.
The DM was coming back to the hobby, so Led was born as a 2e character. Super weird for me, years playing Pathfinder and now 5e. But also super interesting and fun.
He was a red robe wizard, the DM rolled randomly my spells, I did everything with stinkyng cloud and chromatic orb (in 2e chromatic orb is super fun to use).
In his travels Led got a side kick: Bulul the superpowerfull, a gully dwarf (fighter with Str 11 and con 8, gullys rolled stats in a weird way in 2e). Anyway, Bulul, who was renamed as Google by my companions, got a leather armour and a magical sword and he was always fighting for Led. He even had a bite attack.
The first big boss was Thakisis' daughter. She was casting some weird spell at the top of a mountain. We were playing 5e by that time. Everyone in the party were mounting a dragon, of course there were a lot of evil dragons to fight. We were all KO, except for the solamnia knight whose dragon died and he was fighting on the ground alone. There was no chance to win... My turn, death save roll... 20. I was still in the back of my dragon. I fly to the bich and my dragon eat her. My dragon and her died. But I won with 1 HP.
Next epic situation, we were in the city of the dragons in the sky and the evil forces brought a flying castle. We fought our way inside the castle and discovered It was supposed to explode when reach the city. There was a black robe wizard driving the thing behind a force wall. He disappeared because everything was about to explode. There was a good dragon waiting for us in the castle's door. I have only ONE slot left. So I tell my companions to leave I have everything under control. They left, I use dimensional door to put myself in the controls and change the direction. I couldn't go out. Everything exploded. Led died but saved the city of dragons and his friends.
But Led came back as a white robe (like gandalf). I changed my spells and school and became the one with most AC and effective HP, also I had a staff of striking. So Led is tank, DPS, controller, support and wherever you want.

Caladan, priest of Hieroneous. The first PC I played that had a character, rather than just a bunch of numbers. I really got in to what it meant to be a priest - the preaching, conversions, and (above all) the smiting of your god's enemies.

It was also the first lead miniature I painted. (Yes, lead - it was a long time ago).

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Characters I can remember from the years playing DnD are:

• Robin Goodfellow. an elven fighter/mage in 2e. Favourite moment was hanging upside down on a rope above a river and shooting arrows.
  • Vanamoinen. A dwarf invoker from 4e. Used to yell at others about the merits of his god. I really loved the class, sadly, we didn't get much in the way of 4e play before life took over making it too difficult to get a game together.
  • Moonlight. My current eladrin bladesinger for 5e. She was an NPC that I turned into a PC when someone else wanted to DM. So far, I'm loving the subclass. Before this, I had a Diviner based on Jace from Magic the Gathering but I didn't find him as fun.

It would be hard to decide which of these three were my favourite.

Hathorym

Explorer
Kanibink the Rainbow Mage - a kobold wizard who would only cast spells that had colorful effects. He spent all his free time and gold developing chromatic, prismatic, and rainbow spells. He was quick thinking, cowardly, and sweet. He protected his friends as much as possible, but was terrified of dragons. Eventually, he simply retired. He lives somewhere deep in a forest, and his lifelong dream is to locate a leprechaun to teach him how to live at the base of a rainbow.

That was 27 years ago. Oi.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases